The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

I like what JR did at this deadline.

I wasn't thrilled with the Stillman deal. I was thinking more along the lines of Penner or Hemsky, but Stillman is a known quantity. Can play in the top-6 without causing fuss, obviously has chemistry with Staal and Cole, loves and still lives in this area. Real character, leadership type. The big concern here is whether he can stay healthy and produce, but certainly have to hope he has enough in the tank with "coming home" to give us a solid push. First two games he looked great.

The Allen deal gives us what we need on D. A top-4 D-man with size and physical presence. Now we have three solid D pairings with an offensive guy and physical guy.

Most of all, we add these two pieces and only lose Carter, Sammy (who's likely been on the block since last summer) and a 5th round pick.

Stillman could literally retire after this season (37) or sign a one-year for less salary. Allen is signed for another year but at what White was making, and he's a bigger, more "gritty" player than White.

Very solid trade deadline moves.

After 78 pages it nets to:

Minus:

Ian White

Ryan Carter

Sergei Samsonov

5th round pick

Brett Carson

Plus:

Bryan Allen

Derek Joslin

Cory Stillman

2nd Round Pick

Net:

Improved team. I hope Allen pairs with Pitkanen and they fit together.

Solid moves but the help to the team wasnt more than to make us hang around the 8th spot. Still need a top winger and a 3rd line center.

We'll see how it goes. I don't think the Rags improved as much as they wanted to. They were going after Richards but the price was too high. I'd say our loss to MTL on Saturday probably puts 6th out of reach, unless they fall apart down the stretch.

The schedule in March looks like a little easier than February's. That being said, two games against the Slugs will be huge.

I see us anywhere from 7th to 9th, and I hope the new guys help us push to 7th. There are 38 points available to us (19 games left). I think to have any shot at this we need to hit 90 points (23 out of 38) or 92 (25 out of 38). With 67 points out of a possible 126 so far, that's 53%... 23 out of 38 is 60%, so we need to step it up down the stretch.

I hope Stillman and Allen give us the edge to make that happen.

After 78 pages it nets to:

Minus:

Ian White

Ryan Carter

Sergei Samsonov

5th round pick

Brett Carson

Plus:

Bryan Allen

Derek Joslin

Cory Stillman

2nd Round Pick

Net:

Improved team. I hope Allen pairs with Pitkanen and they fit together.

If you go back to the beginning of the season:

Minus:

Anton Babchuk

Tom Kostopolous

Patrick O'Sullivan

Sergei Samsonov

Brett Carson

5th round pick

2 minor leaguers

Plus:

Troy Bodie

Brett Sutter

Bryan Allen

Derek Joslin

Cory Stillman

2nd Round Pick

That's a darn good record. Almost all upgrades and better salary/line balance.