The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
jeromeo87

Rumors / Trade Deadline (Merged)

So you want Chris Phillips who is -23 this year? That should really bolster the ole defense.

Secondly, you don't want Thomas Kaberle based on name. Of all the reasons in the world you pick that because Frank didn't work out obviously Thomas wouldn't. Not age, not salary, but name.

:lol: I laughed.

Come on DJ...Frank wasn't that bad...he was a key part of the 05-06 team. If not for injuries he might still be here. But I won't waste my breath trying to convince you. :)

Anyway...I wonder if Frankie would be recommending his brother here. I have to think the price would probably be too high, though. But Kabs for Joni would be interesting if they included a prospect to make up for the difference in ages. I doubt they'd want to take back another high priced UFA, though.

Phillips is having a bad year on a bad team, but I wouldn't gamble a change of scenery would be enough to snap him out of it at his age.

I doubt either of these happens as they are just not what we are looking for (I hope).

JPL- why aren't we looking for a top "D" man for the playoff's?

I'll leave it up to the individual hockey fan, if he likes the bigger 'stay at home "D" man like phillips or a combo like kabarle that also gives you PP minutes.

By doing this we can move the rest of the "D' down a level to where they should actually be and i'm alot more confortable with corvo/jani at the 3-4 and mcbain/harrison at 5-6... esp come playoff time

we also need a 1/2 wall vet Winger for PP and 2nd/3rd line ala weight/recci in 2006 around the trade deadline if serious about a run also.. but think this "D" right now just too soft and playing a level above where should and that is what's hurting the consistency nightly- while would love to get a young Stud #1 "D' guy al a shane webber they just aren't traded, you are only going to get the older VET D-men a team in rebuild will trade for a draft pick or 2 if being realistic

I think it's foolish for Rutherford to spend any assets to pick up a rental player for this season. If he can't make a trade fora younger player under contract for two seasons, don't make a trade!

I think it's foolish for Rutherford to spend any assets to pick up a rental player for this season. If he can't make a trade fora younger player under contract for two seasons, don't make a trade!

I kind of agree with this. This team is very close and just might end making the playoffs but to risk trading away assets and pieces of the future would be crazy imo. The only trade I see JR making is like Kahuna said, if he finds another younger player that's under contract that will fit into the future here. That doesn't mean that if JR has the chance to pick up a player that can help them now he wouldn't do it, I just don't think he'd be willing to risk the future for it with this current team. I could easily see him moving one of the UFA's for picks to restock Charlotte because several of the Checkers will be here next season, or even an even swap with an expendable player from another team.

In 2006, JR knew he had all the pieces and had a strong contender, he risked the future to put the team over top which turned out to be worth the risk. This current team has some weak parts and a trade likely won't put them over the top but could help them secure a playoff spot.

Looks like we have another In season discussion thread now. With the trade deadline looming, lots of potential deals will be coming up so lets use this one thread to discuss potential deals. Any media rumors ( with sources) can be posted here.

So you want Chris Phillips who is -23 this year? That should really bolster the ole defense.

Secondly, you don't want Thomas Kaberle based on name. Of all the reasons in the world you pick that because Frank didn't work out obviously Thomas wouldn't. Not age, not salary, but name.

Sorry, I guess I should have put "LOL" after my post!!

Jeez, didn't mean to pee in your cornflakes!!!

Really don't want either guy was just trying to have some fun!!

Guess I should subscribe some "chill pills for ya!!!

Yeah, I don't want JR to spend all of our assets for a rental. However, if you are getting a guy back that you think may be here for more than just the end of this season..that's a different story, in my opinion. If JR can land someone like Mark Stuart or Vandermeer, I think that's the kind of player that can be resigned to another deal and become big parts of our team for years to come. The question is whether or not there is any wiggle room with the $$$.

IF JR decides that it may be too hard to resign Pits at the end of the season and deals him, that's $4mil to work with; JR may also be looking to unload Sammy's salary as well - that's $2.8mil.

Yeah, I don't want JR to spend all of our assets for a rental. However, if you are getting a guy back that you think may be here for more than just the end of this season..that's a different story, in my opinion. If JR can land someone like Mark Stuart or Vandermeer, I think that's the kind of player that can be resigned to another deal and become big parts of our team for years to come. The question is whether or not there is any wiggle room with the $$.

IF JR decides that it may be too hard to resign Pits at the end of the season and deals him, that's $4mil to work with; JR may also be looking to unload Sammy's salary as well - that's $2.8mil.

Mark Stewart is exactly the first name that comes to mind. He's a tough stay at home guy, very similar to Gleason, who's expendable on the Bruins roster. Today the bruins may find out the deal with Marc Savard's concussion status and if he goes on the LTIR, that will free up a lot of cap space for them. Mark Stewart should be available for a fair price. The Bruins need more up front scoring and I doubt they're willing to take Sammy back, though I can see them asking for Cole as a rental. As I was watching the game last night thinking who would give up for Mark Stewart, Chad LaRose would be an interesting fit in Boston. Not that I think JR would be willing deal either Cole or LaRose, just thought it would be an interesting fit. Both Dwyer and LaRose play a similar game so maybe JR would be willing to move one of them?

hate to see rosey go, but would love that stay at home defensemen, harrison and white have played great, mcbain has some plus side, joni, why doesnt he ever shoot at the net, he fires for one of our guys sticksry time... .. bruins defense with timmy doing his circus act, is tough to beat.. bruins 16-6-2 on road.. at home not so good

That's what I always thought of Mark Stuart - Gleason-like.

When you approach this deal of maybe moving Cole - do you believe the Canes will most likely not make the playoffs? Because losing Cole would hurt us really badly at this point. He is our only consistent first liner with Staal.

That's what I always thought of Mark Stuart - Gleason-like.

When you approach this deal of maybe moving Cole - do you believe the Canes will most likely not make the playoffs? Because losing Cole would hurt us really badly at this point. He is our only consistent first liner with Staal.

Well I'm not JR but if this team stays in contention I certainly wouldn't move Cole because it would create another huge hole that would be tough to fill this season.

I really think we're going to see a typical JR move like the Stillman/Commodore trade with Ottawa. One that benefits both teams moving forward with the $ fairly even.

Not quite. Since player's salaries are pro-rated, taking UFAs like Pits and Sammy as examples, JR can only unload about $1.5 million at the trade deadline because he already paid most of their salaries over the past 4 months. Huge difference.

Of course the same holds true the other way around if JR wants to get a player(s). Investing $1.5 mil could get him a decent winger and d-man at the trade deadline, who have a combined $7 + million salary.

That's only the salary side of it though. Where the really touchy problem comes in, as others have mentioned, is when GMs start nitpicking through your player roster (prospects) and tell you what else they expect in the deal.

You know I don't disagree that we need to strengthen the defense, but I'm not sure who you move out. I guess you could put someone in the press box, but I don't see it. Someone on the back end might have to be moved out in the trade. I can't see a pure rental on defense partly for that reason. I could see a pure rental on offense, but not without some salary going off the books.

I think it might depend on how JR feels about resigning Pitkanen. If he could move Pitkanen and Sammy plus in a trade that brought back a really top notch defensive that had some years on the contract, it might make sense, but that would be a real shake up.

On buying or selling, I look at it differently. Our system is pretty well stocked as is. Sure we can always use more, and I would hate to give up our first rounder, but giving up a 2nd rounder for a shot at the playoffs? I'd do it. The way those guys skated last night, anything could happen in the playoffs, and this franchise could use a trip there now. With all the guys in the system, giving up one sub first round pick as part of a package to land a key piece would be an easy decision.

Say Sammy, Pitkanen, and a second rounder for some big tough shut down guy with a couple of years on his contract. I think McBain and Corvo are enough puck movers, and if we resign White, he's kind of a hybrid, that's enough puck moving. No idea if such a move could be made.

I still like the idea of signing a rental top winger for the top line, but I'm probably alone on that one.

I still like the idea of signing a rental top winger for the top line, but I'm probably alone on that one.

That's a pretty big risk (and high cost) for a team who hasn't proved it can beat the top teams. That rental might make them a better team but it won't put them over the top which is why teams are willing to pay high prices for the rental players.

Speaking of rental players, I really wish the NHL adopted a "rental rule" where if the player signs back with his original team at the end of the season, the rental team gets some small compensation back. MLB has this and I think its fair.

What team in their right mind is going to take on two RENTAL Canes and send back a good defenseman under contract? Nice fantasy, but that scenario has as good a chance of playing out as the Leafs have of winning the Cup this season.

Mark Stewart is exactly the first name that comes to mind. He's a tough stay at home guy, very similar to Gleason, who's expendable on the Bruins roster. Today the bruins may find out the deal with Marc Savard's concussion status and if he goes on the LTIR, that will free up a lot of cap space for them. Mark Stewart should be available for a fair price. The Bruins need more up front scoring and I doubt they're willing to take Sammy back, though I can see them asking for Cole as a rental. As I was watching the game last night thinking who would give up for Mark Stewart, Chad LaRose would be an interesting fit in Boston. Not that I think JR would be willing deal either Cole or LaRose, just thought it would be an interesting fit. Both Dwyer and LaRose play a similar game so maybe JR would be willing to move one of them?

Hmmmm would do that in a hearbeat, though not sure boston would see the value on larose or dwyer

What team in their right mind is going to take on two RENTAL Canes and send back a good defenseman under contract? Nice fantasy, but that scenario has as good a chance of playing out as the Leafs have of winning the Cup this season.

Ooh, thanks for giving me the opportunity to post one of my favorite All Star pictures again :lol:

leaf.jpg

Carry on with the rental discussion.....

On buying or selling, I look at it differently. Our system is pretty well stocked as is. Sure we can always use more, and I would hate to give up our first rounder, but giving up a 2nd rounder for a shot at the playoffs? I'd do it. The way those guys skated last night, anything could happen in the playoffs, and this franchise could use a trip there now. With all the guys in the system, giving up one sub first round pick as part of a package to land a key piece would be an easy decision.

Agreed, and that's my original Point, with boychuck,samson,sutter,dalpe, matsumuto etc at forward already in charlotte and "D" man a couple of years to develop for the most part(carson,rodney,borer)- giving up a 2nd rounder THIS YEAR for a better playoff team makes sense, you are not hurting long term development and we can't get these guys up here already

Edited by canes-in-7

Claude Julien on Mark Stewart:

Mark Stuart was the healthy scratch last night for the fourth straight game.

“I don’t think it’s a reflection on his play more than what the other six guys have been giving us,’’ Julien said. “That third tandem’s been pretty steady and has played pretty well.

“Right now, it’s a numbers game, and he’s a victim of that.

“To his credit, he’s always been a team-first guy. He wants to play. But he also doesn’t want to disrupt the chemistry that’s in that dressing room.’’

That's kind of my point.. Stuart has been scratched for 4 straight games. Whether or not it's worth it, giving up a first line winger for someone who has been scratch a lot lately..eh...

W/e tho.. I would love to see Stuart here. More grit!

That's a pretty big risk (and high cost) for a team who hasn't proved it can beat the top teams. That rental might make them a better team but it won't put them over the top which is why teams are willing to pay high prices for the rental players.

Speaking of rental players, I really wish the NHL adopted a "rental rule" where if the player signs back with his original team at the end of the season, the rental team gets some small compensation back. MLB has this and I think its fair.

Holy cow is this thread active!

You're probably right, but then again, add a top winger to our top line, and push every one else down and that's suddenly a pretty formidable offense.

Yes, we need to tighten up defensively, but we might be able to do that with current personell. The team that made a deep run a few years ago didn't have an all world defense, nor did the team that one the cup.

I know we haven't actually beaten the top teams, but we've been OH so close and one more premium player might be the difference.

If the cost is a second rounder, well they work out about as often as third and fourth rounders and we have a lot of guys down there. If the cost is a first rounder, probably not worth it.

Well you're right about that. If the team in question could sign Pitkanen, then it might be doable. So, if Pitkanen is only movable as a rental, then it would not make us better this year and that is not a good move. How would we pick up a significant improvement on defense, and who does he replace?

Well you're right about that. If the team in question could sign Pitkanen, then it might be doable. So, if Pitkanen is only movable as a rental, then it would not make us better this year and that is not a good move. How would we pick up a significant improvement on defense, and who does he replace?

I don't trust or feel real good about mcbain or harrison in a long playoff run right now..neither has experience or know if will fade under pressure every other night games a playoff run requires, if could have one be a healthy stratch and both fill in feel depending on amtchup and what's needed or for an injury feel alot better.. with "new D player", gleason on first line.. 2nd line jani/corvo and 3rd white/mcbain/harrison, than moving all up one level as have now..or even with a lead boot pitts out and go with white for corner play to help team at end of games

Edited by canes-in-7

While I do believe we need a new Dman, I think both Harrison and McBain have been playing great lately..

In the perfect world, I would love to see the Hurricanes pick up Mark Stuart and either a Penner or maybe even a Tanguay.. someone else to bring in forward depth..we need it. Of course, that means salary would have to be moved out.