The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
bluedevil58

Will we make the playoffs?

I'm not sure we will but we are still in a position to be make a run at it.But we still have a real chance. I will admit as has been said this team does seem to lack that intangible winning attitude. They are playing better then at the beginning of the season, they seem to be developing an identity, they don't quite believe in themselves yet.We have 4 games in hand over two of the teams ahead of us. If and I know it's a big if and depends on what other teams do but if we win the next 2 the Canes could be 2 points out of 8th at the end of the month.They are only 6 points out right now. Get the PP going, get another line going and we just might make a run at it.

As for MO. I'm not either a big Mo fan or a Mo must go fan.But we should be fair. Mo has taken this franchise to 2 conference quarter finals, 1 East Coast conference final and a Stanley Cup final in his career with the Canes. That doesn't even count last season when his team made a run at the playoffs , a team that had no business getting that close after the horrendous start.

Maurice has had his chances. He's never won a cup. Period. And I do not in any way expect to see a coaching change until Jimmy Rutherford is either retired or expired. But I am free to *edit* and moan about the complete lack of hockey sense that the coach has. He's inept, uncreative, and completely unwilling to change his broken ways. Problem is, the two guys behind the bench with him are no better. One coaches the horrible powerplay, and the other is in charge of the defense. And all of them have the personalities of stumps.

In a league where over half the teams make the playoffs, that goal should be a given for a successful franchise. Exiting in the first round should be considered a losing season.

Across the bench, the Canes lack individuals who can display a "fire in the belly" attitude. Sadly the attitude has now seemingly shifted to the fan base. It seems that the "loudest house in the NHL" can only be achieved by prompts from the jumbotron.

Edited by colliefan

Our PP has to be corrected if we want to sniff the playoffs. Even if its not on a blaze, it has to at least rise up to the top 15-16 teams. We can have a great looking PP one time, then have a horrible PP right after that one. One area of our team that has no business being in the bottom of the league is our PP... Staal, Jussi, Skinner, Joni, Corvo, and Ruu should be able to light the lamp at least 1/4 tries, even on the toughest teams. This is easily the most correctable problem though IMO, and would turn a lot of the Ls we have been having into at least a point, maybe two :)

As for MO. I'm not either a big Mo fan or a Mo must go fan.But we should be fair. Mo has taken this franchise to 2 conference quarter finals, 1 East Coast conference final and a Stanley Cup final in his career with the Canes. That doesn't even count last season when his team made a run at the playoffs , a team that had no business getting that close after the horrendous start.

This needs to be put into perspective, the southeast used to be an absolutely abysmal set up of terrible hockey teams. The Thrashers, Lightning and Panthers couldn't win hockey games if they played the entire game 5 on 3. They were gimme wins for 3-4 years. Often times those wins put us into the playoffs and even more so we won the division a few times as a result of the easy competition 1998 comes to mind only there were only 4 teams in the division that year and we should have been 8th in the conference however we instead got 3rd seed. Back then the only team to beat was the Caps and they were no powerhouse themselves. 2002 we had the points to earn 7th seed, however what was 7th seed in the eastern conference was 1st for our division....thats pathetic in and of it's own right. So we got 3rd seed and got a much easier lineup of teams. 2002, talk about things falling in the right places.

I can't even really call Mo's takeover from Lavi legit because all Mo did was add defensive responsibility to someone else's gameplan. The next year he overhauls the system we go back to dumping and chasing and we go back to stinking.

It's kinda of amazing what happens when you take 2 extreme's of hockey and find a 60-40 version of it. Which was the LaMo system.

Edited by legend-1

I can't even really call Mo's takeover from Lavi legit because all Mo did was add defensive responsibility to someone else's gameplan. The next year he overhauls the system we go back to dumping and chasing and we go back to stinking.

Amen to this. We went right back to the crap system he had before. When he came in and used Lavi's system with a little more responsibility defensively we were really good. But the change happened and boom a 13 game losing streak to start last season.

The only reason we are winning is that Cam is standing on his head.

I guess I must have missed all the interviews and reports about Mo's supposed system overhaul or preference for dumping and chasing. Do you have any links you would like to share or did you just make that all up?

This is the best play I have ever seen from Ward. He is earning his salary this year boys..........

it's amazing what sleep deprevation can do for an individual :th_Canada:

I guess I must have missed all the interviews and reports about Mo's supposed system overhaul or preference for dumping and chasing. Do you have any links you would like to share or did you just make that all up?

Lavi and Mo 45-30-2 08-09

Mo 35-37-2 09-10

Since it wasn't the system and the core of the roster was the same. What changed then? Because to me the standings took on a shape of Mo's career .500 record.

To the present...

I'm sick and tired of the excuse that this is the best this team is capable of this season. JR obviously agrees since he ripped the entire locker room. We don't have a top 3 team but we do have a 6-8 team this year. If JR's gotta do the yelling to get results and go over his coaches head then somethings wrong.

Edited by legend-1

GMs of other teams go into the locker room more often than JR does and it's not like JR never went into the locker room when Lavi was here. The irrational hatred of Mo is comical.

If you just don't like the guy, fine. But call it like that. Don't try to use illogical reasoning to try and rationalize your disdain for him as a coach. If you're going to use the 08-09 record as support, it's only fair to split it into the record with Lavi (12-11-2), and the record with Mo (33-19-5). Otherwise you make yourself look, well, a little foolish TBH.

And since when is this NOT a rebuilding year? It may not be a total overhaul but for crying out loud! No Cullen, no Whitney, and no Brind'amour. That's a big part of your team. We dumped a ton of salary and brought in a lot of young'ens. How does that not qualify as a rebuild? Please explain. Going into this season, I said I'd be happy if we finished in the top 10 in the east, and thrilled if we made the 7 or 8 seed and I still hold to that. I don't want mediocrity, but going into this season NONE OF US knew what to expect. I'm pleased with how they are playing considering how much on-the-job training is going on. Next year will be even better. See: Chicago's rebuild.

Jacques Lemaire must be the worst coach in the world because the Devils sure are stinking it up. What were they thinking hiring such a terrible coach? Of COURSE they are last in the league! (sarcasm)

Edited by hctimo787

....it's not like JR never went into the locker room when Lavi was here. The irrational hatred of Mo is comical.

I believe it was Staal who said JR has not done that since he's been here.

I also don't believe the opinions expressed by many here are "irrational hatred of Mo" but instead provide rounded commentary about the franchise.

And since when is this NOT a rebuilding year? It may not be a total overhaul but for crying out loud! No Cullen, no Whitney, and no Brind'amour. That's a big part of your team. We dumped a ton of salary and brought in a lot of young'ens. How does that not qualify as a rebuild? Please explain.

Fine, let me explain once again why this is not a rebuild.

Almost every NHL team loses a veteran of two to free agency or retirement. It happens. And when it happens, it does not in any way consitute a "rebuild".

Rookie players break into the league every year, on almost every team. It HAS to happen. And when it happens, it does not make it a "rebuild. The Canes added TWO rookies on a long term basis, one with a handful of experience, and one fresh off the school bus. That too, is not a rebuild.

Losing one guy to retirement, and two to free agency, then penciling in two rookies and bringing in an AHL guy with quite a bit of experience, does not in any way make this season a rebuild. One forward, one defenseman, both legit rookies...is not a rebuild.

I shouldn't have to explain this again. THIS is not a rebuild.

GMs of other teams go into the locker room more often than JR does and it's not like JR never went into the locker room when Lavi was here. The irrational hatred of Mo is comical.

If you just don't like the guy, fine. But call it like that. Don't try to use illogical reasoning to try and rationalize your disdain for him as a coach. If you're going to use the 08-09 record as support, it's only fair to split it into the record with Lavi (12-11-2), and the record with Mo (33-19-5). Otherwise you make yourself look, well, a little foolish TBH.

Jacques Lemaire must be the worst coach in the world because the Devils sure are stinking it up. What were they thinking hiring such a terrible coach? Of COURSE they are last in the league! (sarcasm)

Taken from Braneckys Blog

“I address the players a couple of times a year, but not during games,” he said. “We were playing just to get by. We didn’t have that determination and look like a team that wanted to get into the playoffs.

I'm well aware what Lavi's record was and well aware of what Mo's record is. So back to the original thing I was called out for so many posts ago. Explain that if no system change occured from that season to the next and no major player changes...then how did he turn his record upside down?

Jacques Lemaire...great comparison...when did we sign a 100 million dollar player and put all our money into one guy. Devils stink because first of all Broduer isn't what he used to be and secondly Kovalchuk has destroyed that team. Yes I'm well aware you put "sarcasm" at the end of your post. Doesn't change the fact it has no comparison to do with our situation here.

See Chicagos rebuild....you mean the rebuild where they changed an entire roster and missed the playoffs 5 times in a row? Or how about Pittsburgh's rebuild where they changed an entire roster and traded Jagr for prospects while missing the playoffs 4 years in a row? If you want a Chicago rebuild be prepared for what that really means.

Do you think this team can afford 4-5 years of no playoff revenue?

Edited by legend-1

We survived December and will be no more than 4-6 points out of a playoff spot. That is within striking distance. I think this season January will tell the tale. There are 28 points up for grabs and all but one game is against east conference teams. The only west coast team we play is Calgary and that is at home. Four games are with southeast opponents. Most of the games are winnable.

I do think we need to come out of January at the All-Star break in close contention for 6-8th place if we are to have a chance.

We survived December and will be no more than 4-6 points out of a playoff spot. That is within striking distance. I think this season January will tell the tale. There are 28 points up for grabs and all but one game is against east conference teams. The only west coast team we play is Calgary and that is at home. Four games are with southeast opponents. Most of the games are winnable.

I do think we need to come out of January at the All-Star break in close contention for 6-8th place if we are to have a chance.

I agree with you. I had pointed out that starting in Toronto the next 10 games were VERY winnable and a nice streak here could go a long way. We knocked off the first two, which should be the most difficult. The next 7 are extremely winnable, and frankly I think we can take Tampa at home for one more.

Still, despite the excitement of our last 2 wins, they were not very great games. Frankly Cam won both of them. If the team can tighten up just a little, they can go on a run right now, which can extend into a nice January and frankly I think we have a good chance of going into the All Star break in the 7-8 position, maybe higher.

Other than the 6 back to backs, the schedule after the All Star Break is favorable.

I am still hoping for a deadline rental of a scoring forward, but other than the cup year, that hasn't happened. But with all the draft picks last year, JR can give up some picks this year. Maybe pick up a pick sooner for a veteran forward currently on our roster.

Anyway, the three teams directly ahead of us have played more games than us:

MTL +2

ATL +4

NYR +2

So, with a nice run over these games up to the Boston home/home, we could move all the way to #6, certainly by the All Star break. On paper we could even move up to #5 but that would require Washington to start sliding again, which is hard to see happening.

This team has still never lost more than 3 in a row. The playoffs are a very real possibility at the least.

Edited by remkin

82 points will not make the playoffs, and so far that's what we are on pace for. The whole season has been win one, lose one, win 2, lose 2. Our current 2 game win streak is on the heels of 2 or 3 losses in a row so it doesn't mean much. Outside of our early two wins that put us atop the leaderboard for the first week, we've been hanging around that 9th, 10th spot the whole season. We are four points behind Montreal, with two games in hand, so you could essentially say we are tied with them for 8th (assuming of course we win the two games in hand, else it's a moot point). We will have to have a Penguins style run of 10,12,14 wins in a row to really rack up the points and put us in good position. If we are going to make it we should be 5th or 6th, not 9th fighting for 8th.

I wouldn't sign the death certificate quite yet if we sneak in the 8th spot.. Look at the 06 Oilers, they made the finals. However going against a #1 that will likely be either the Penguins or Flyers who have proven to be the best teams all season.

I will say though, we have had a good season considering the circumstances. Several veteran leaders gone to retirement and free agency, an influx of raw young talent. It has been exciting to watch the product on the ice and that's always good for a franchise since it means butts in the seats. Look at the success Atlanta has had with an empty arena.. those free agents they picked up won't stay long when the team can't pay them.

We may not be scoring a whole lot of goals, but we aren't getting blown out too often either... how many of our games have been 3-2 or 2-1 losses? We've had a good number of OT and shootout losses. If we get in a groove late in the season, maybe those close games tilt in our favor instead and we can rattle off a streak of 4 or 5 wins in a row. Given that Tampa Bay, Washington and Atlanta are all playing lights out right now, I'm afraid we may fall just short and finish 9th or 10th. It may be too big a hill to climb this year.

As for next year.... watch out!

I did have some very good stuff.

But seriously I guess I can see how it looked like I was calling for a 10 game winning streak. I'm not sure this team is capable of that, but what I meant was that there are 10 very winnable games, and maybe we could go 8-2 or 7-3 over that span. That could be enough with the games in hand to get us into the top 6-8.

We are an average team with a superior goalie. That alone has gotten many teams into the playoffs.

The conundrum is that teams that ride their goalies too hard exit quickly from the playoffs. But first we've got to make them. Personally I think we would have lost the last two wins with Peters in goal. Nothing against Peters, but Cam has found that special level that we've been hoping for and seen flashes of in the past. He is winning games pretty much single handedly. One can only think that Mo will find it increasingly hard to play Peters.

As to my irrational exuberance. If one assumes we can get 4 of the next 6 points (and 5 of then next 8), and of course nothing is certain, but that should be doable, if one then adjusts for the games in hand, we will be 2 points out of 7th and 8th, and 4 points out of 6th spot. This from a team that has seen the worst it's schedule has to offer, and would still have 4 very winnable games ahead.

Montreal is fading going 3-7 over the last 10. Admittedly they are a good home team with lots of home games coming up, but they are almost all vs. Boston, Pittsburgh and the NYR. Atlanta is up and down. Atlanta and MTL play each other Sunday, and we get Atlanta at home on the 9th. Atlanta has played 4 more games than us.

NYR are playing pretty well. But we really could slide into the 7-8 slot pretty easily if games in hand are factored in, and if NYR faulter, the #6 spot is not that far off.

Edited by remkin

Amen to this. We went right back to the crap system he had before. When he came in and used Lavi's system with a little more responsibility defensively we were really good. But the change happened and boom a 13 game losing streak to start last season.

Lavi and Mo 45-30-2 08-09

Mo 35-37-2 09-10

Since it wasn't the system and the core of the roster was the same. What changed then? Because to me the standings took on a shape of Mo's career .500 record.

Sorry, both of you can blame Mo all you want but I don't buy it. Way too many circumstances and different people played roles in our miserable 09-10 season. To blame it all on Mo and some major system change or claim that we lost 13 games in a row because he wanted everyone to dump and chase is just wrong in so many ways.

What changed then?

08-09: With the team relative healthy - Lavi the Great 12-11-2, Mo the Bum 33-19-5

09-10: Mo is 7-23-2 in December -- overly cautious pre-season preperation and scheduling by JR; key players playing injured for long stretches from the start (Staal, Brindy, Pitkanen, Walker); significant drop in scoring (Sammy 2 goals by Dec, our Cpt. 8 pts, worst +/- rating in the league, gets demoted to 4th line and is even scratched, Staal didn't score for a whole month, Rat replacements look good but don't produce and nobody outside of Whitney plays as expected); Ward wasn't playing well (.899 sv% 2.97 GAA), Leighton even worse (.848 sv% 3.29 GAA) and get's the boot, Legacy tried his best but wasn't much better (.898 sv% 3.08 GAA); key players miss a significant number of games due to injuries (Staal, Ward, Pitkanen, Cole, Walker); while lazy Pits is out for 9 games, Joe is overworked, no one else on defense is contributing and they are the worst in the league, and on and on...

09-10: After December -- when everyone is healthy, Mo the Bum goes on a 28-14-8 run with his overhaul and supposed dump and chase system to close out the season. They miss the playoffs by a couple of points and despite our horrendous low scoring start they only scored just six fewer goals than the previous Conference Final year.

Wait. On second thought, if the overhaul did happen, wouldn't that prove that the dump and chase is superior over Lavi's run and gun system -- as long as everyone stays healthy?

Well, we haven't moved up in the standings (still 9th) but our recent 3 game win streak has some significance. We are still keeping pace with Montreal, now 4 points back with 2 games in hand. We are now 3 points ahead of Ottawa with three games in hand. In this back and forth, win one lose one season, we are now 3 games over .500 at 18-15-4. We are making up ground on our SE Div foes. We are 6 points back of Atlanta, but have 4 games in hand over them. Atlanta is also in a skid going 3-4-3 in their last 10. Tampa and Washington will be harder to catch as we are 11 points back with only 2 games in hand to Tampa and 3 games to Washington, but the focus will be catching those 7th and 8th place teams, Montreal and Atlanta and we are making up ground there. The only team above us with the same number of games played is Boston, we have played less than everyone else. If we can keep this streak going and get several more games above .500, maybe 20-15, 21-15 then we stand a good shot to be in position for our patented late season surge. Florida is a team below us, on a 2 game losing streak and 5-4-1 in their last 10.. we need to beat them and then it will be nice to try to beat the Rangers since they are a couple spots above us, we have to beat them to make up ground since they are 7 points ahead and we only have 2 games in hand over them. If we can't beat the Rangers, our next three games are still pretty good, another game against Florida, Home vs Atlanta and then against Calgary who is at the bottom of the west, then Buffalo, who is 11th below us in the East. If we can go 4-2 in that stretch (2W v Florida, W v Calgary, W v Buffalo, L v NYR, L v ATL) we will still be in great position. Wins against Atlanta and NYR would be icing on the cake.

I am hopeful we will make the playoffs, but the Canes history has been to have one good year followed by two bad ones. This year should be the second of the two bad ones in the series.