The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
colliefan

sort of a funny event

I went down to Tampa this weekend to celebrate the fourth b-day of my nephew and to put my mom's ashes in the base of a bush we wanted to plant in her front yard. Things were going well as my BIL dug the hole for the plant and put down the potting soil.

He brought out the container containing her ashes. opened it, and he before he deposited them in the ground, little David declared he wanted to “play in the sand” and his comment broke the solemn moment. He knows his beloved Nanna is in heaven, but explaining to a four-year old the process of cremation is something he doesn’t need to understand.

I am doing my best to make him a Caniac sending him bobbleleheads and hockey toys. He proudly showed me his stick work. Sadly my BIL is not a hockey fan so I have a great deal of work to do to accomplish this goal.

That is funny. I remember seeing the cremains of my grandparents when I was 13...after the funerals, the guy from the crematorium (on site at the cemetery) comes out with a clear plastic bag and rather unceremoniously puts it in the hole and covers with cement. It was weird. If you're going to cremate, I like the idea of what you did or scattering in a favorite place.

Good luck with encouraging your nephew's hockey fan-ness. :)