The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

TKO hit

was a bad hit... shame because Kstop as far as I can recall wasn't or isn't known for those types of hits...

I agree with you. Kstop is tough and can lay on a big hit but not known for dirty hits. Stuff happens. I was looking forward to his return to RBC but expect he will be forced to sit that game out.

Stuart musta done something to get TKO's goat. The guy doesn't just do stuff like that.

I dunno if it's a headshot doesn't appear to be but broke his jaw...maybe on the ice? But that's a really bad run on a guy without the puck and not looking.

That's a very ugly hit and I'm surprised only a roughing penalty was assessed. What were the officials thinking?

I went back and looked at the video again. It was a very ugly hit. Kstop was so popular here I was hoping I would see something that would lessen the impact of the hit. But Kstop clearly took a run at Stuart, put his full momentum behind the hit and led with his elbow or forearm to Stuarts head. It is always difficult to get into a players mind but the result speaks for itself.

One Ref was focusing on the net and the others were well behind the play and perhaps no Ref saw the hit clearly. It was clearly a 5 minute penalty if not a game misconduct in my opinion.

Edited by OBXer

I went back and looked at the video again. It was a very ugly hit. Kstop was so popular here I was hoping I would see something that would lessen the impact of the hit. But Kstop clearly took a run at Stuart, put his full momentum behind the hit and led with his elbow or forearm to Stuarts head. It is always difficult to get into a players mind but the result speaks for itself.

One Ref was focusing on the net and the others were well behind the play and perhaps no Ref saw the hit clearly. It was clearly a 5 minute penalty if not a game misconduct in my opinion.

Apparently the NHL agrees. He is now suspended for 6 games.

Flames' Kostopoulus suspended for six gamesSunday, 01.09.2011 / 4:10 PM / News NHL.comCalgary Flames forward Tom Kostopoulos has been suspended for six games and will forfeit $29,569.92 in salary for delivering a blow to the head of Detroit Red Wings defenseman Brad Stuart in NHL game #609 on January 7, the National Hockey League announced today.

"A number of factors were considered in reaching this decision," said NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell. "Kostopoulos delivered a blow to the head of an unsuspecting and vulnerable player. As well, he targeted the head of his opponent and, while the hit was not from the blindside, the head was the principle point of contact. The fact that Brad Stuart was not in possession of the puck when the blow was delivered and the serious nature of the player's injury were also considered in my decision."

Kostopoulos’ fine is based on his average annual salary and is calculated under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

The incident occurred at 10:07 of the third period. He was assessed a minor penalty for roughing on the play.

Kostopoulos will miss games Jan. 11 at Carolina, Jan. 14 at Ottawa, Jan. 15 at Toronto, Jan. 17 at Montreal, Jan. 19 against Minnesota and Jan. 21 against Dallas. He is eligible to return Jan. 22 at Vancouver

Hate it for KStop but glad to see the NHL is making good on their commitment to punish the head hits, six games definitely sends a message.

The good news is that an ex-cane that won't hurt us on Tuesday.

Stuart had the puck less than a second before the hit, I don't know why people keep saying the puck wasn't there. But I don't have a problem with it. KStop should have kept his stick down, if he had he wouldn't have broken Stuart's jaw.