• 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th or worse

i'll give it a whirl for 6th place

rangers are in 7th , 6 points ahead,but canes have 2 games in hand, so that 2 points is easily attainable, esp with the rangers slumping even worse than canes at 4-5-1 in last 10, and we have 1 game remaining with them

in 6th place is Montreal, who has opened a legit 7 points on canes, and while 7 points is alot, montreal is the textbook defintion of inconsistant this year, going 6-2-2 in last 10 ,but have also had 3 losing 4 of 5 game streak this year, so that with 30 games left is attainable, and while not easy can see it- we also have 2 games left with them to cut the deficit quickly

after that very dicey with can't see canes catching either washington or pitts, baring more significant injuries( though malkin down again for pitts) from either team to get to 5th

edit- seems malkin's injury more severe than first thought "As the Penguins await captain Sidney Crosby's return, Pittsburgh will have to face the loss of another star player. The Penguins confirmed on Saturday that centre Evgeni Malkin has a torn MCL and ACL. He is discussing his options with doctors on surgery or rehabilitation, though sources have told TSN that surgery will be likely"

well the other teams ahve followed the pattern I thought they would, unfort the canes haven't uheld their end and been even more inconsistent, but its still wide open from 5th-8th and whichever of the teams gets on a roll down the stretch will move up quickly no team in this group is showing they 'want it" yet,and as long as avoid #8 and philly in the first round, do think any of these teams can move on to 2nd round, stay tuned

well the other teams ahve followed the pattern I thought they would, unfort the canes haven't uheld their end and been even more inconsistent, but its still wide open from 5th-8th and whichever of the teams gets on a roll down the stretch will move up quickly no team in this group is showing they 'want it" yet,and as long as avoid #8 and philly in the first round, do think any of these teams can move on to 2nd round, stay tuned

I mostly agree. They've been a consistent .500 team. Lots of 1 goal games, and lots of OTL. They went on that little streak in early Jan but have kept at around 4 pts over .500 for over a month. That has been good enough to keep them in 8th in the east (which is sad in a way). Last year that spot went for 88 points, so 86 might just do it this year.

I think 5th and 6th are pretty close to locked, but 7-11 are the contenders for those last 2 spots. ATL needs to get moving pretty soon or they are toast. BUF has cooled off a bit but at the same level we are, 4 over .500 plus two in hand and a new owner who may try to spend some $ tomorrow. The one to watch is Toronto, Reimer has been hot and they are climbing fast. Like you said, whoever turns it up in the next few weeks will find it easy if the others continue at the same rate. Tampa and Pitt are both vulnerable in the top 4 so the playoffs should be interesting.

I mostly agree. They've been a consistent .500 team. Lots of 1 goal games, and lots of OTL. They went on that little streak in early Jan but have kept at around 4 pts over .500 for over a month. That has been good enough to keep them in 8th in the east (which is sad in a way). Last year that spot went for 88 points, so 86 might just do it this year.

I think 5th and 6th are pretty close to locked, but 7-11 are the contenders for those last 2 spots. ATL needs to get moving pretty soon or they are toast. BUF has cooled off a bit but at the same level we are, 4 over .500 plus two in hand and a new owner who may try to spend some $ tomorrow. The one to watch is Toronto, Reimer has been hot and they are climbing fast. Like you said, whoever turns it up in the next few weeks will find it easy if the others continue at the same rate. Tampa and Pitt are both vulnerable in the top 4 so the playoffs should be interesting.

Yep, just so odd to see no team yet "wanting it", except devils, who dug themselves, imo too far back to get out of that hole..Pitts is 3-5-2 and loser of 4 of last 5, and "if" sidney doesn't return( can see alot of long term reason's just to shut him down from a precautiionary standpoint), can see the slide continuing. crapitals 5-5, montreal 3-5-2, rangers 4-6 and of course us the "mo special" of .500 of 3-4-3...None of this bunch instills confidence down the stretch for a variety of reasons

can see the slide continuing. crapitals 5-5, montreal 3-5-2, rangers 4-6 and of course us the "mo special" of .500 of 3-4-3...None of this bunch instills confidence down the stretch for a variety of reasons

the play of the teams above them is the prime reason the Canes still have a 50/50 shot of making the playoffs

I had to stick with my preseason prediction, looks like I'm alone in 10th....for now.

What do you think now Coastal? Can we hold on to 7th? Climb higher?...or maybe drop to 10th?

I think we have a chance to go up to #6, if not we will keep #7. But we have to let Ward have some rest, if they dont beleive in Peters, they should have get a backup before trade deadline.

What do you think now Coastal? Can we hold on to 7th? Climb higher?...or maybe drop to 10th?

First, I'm not rooting for the Canes to finish 10th. It was a preseason prediction. What do I think now? I think there's alot of hockey left, and by no means are we solidified in the 7th position. Our chances of making the playoffs looks pretty good, but if the Canes stumble at all they will be on the outside looking in. Remember what happened a few years ago?

No doubt about it, the Canes will be in a dogfight for a playoff spot for the duration of the schedule. I don't think there's any way to guess or predict what will happen. Toronto and Buffalo are real threats. The Rangers while playing like garbage, are still in the mix. It's at least a 4 way fight for two spots in the standings. One thing I do feel sure about, march will be an exciting month! Even nights the Canes don't play, I'll be scoreboard watching.

What a strange last 2 weeks have been, philly went from the "class of the east".. to the least and now could fall to 3rd place in conference by the end of this week( losers of 4 in a row), and crapitals left for dead at the all star break for a top seed, now leading the South, and 4 pts from first in conference, boston looking better, tampa sliding down.. and of course we have the rangers/canes/buffalo shuffle for 7th and 8th,, looks like all positions will be a dog fight to the end and not sure the matchup's for playoffs and as usually happens in hockey more than any other sport, a top seed or 2 can fall in the first round,, depending on the week there isn't a team that doesn't look vulnerable, except jersey :grin: , who still has work to dig out of their hole.

Nothing strange about us losing Friday and basically playing .500 lately. That won't cut it.

Nothing went good for the Canes the last few days.

Welcome back to 9th, boys. BELOW the cut line. Sit and stew for 3 more days because you can do nothing, except perhaps watch Buf win again and seal their place above you, even with Wed's game.

Yes I'm cranky.

good news is the fate of canes still in their hands, they win and in- so from that standpoint wouldn't get too cranky... yet

just strange how inconsistent all teams seem to be this year- with no definitive good teams that you can say right now in any playoff series, that they weere 'sure things'..Can see next week swinging the opposite way again, would not suprise me at all.

Seems to me ever since the All Star break, this team seems to be amiss. I thought for

a while it was perhaps a key player or two away from being better than 500... Somehow

the teams personality is off balance. They come out hoping to win, not really wanting

to win..Seems they are always on their heels, relying on Ward to stop a great play

in stead of offensively making a great play... Somethings broke with the Canes...

Now Im no expert, just a fan, and just my opinion.....

The Canes still control their own playoff destiny. Should the Slugs beat the Pens tommow, they will be three points up on the Canes. The game on the 15th becomes huge. The Canes must take four points in the remaining two games from the Slugs and give them none.

Edited by colliefan

Seems to me ever since the All Star break, this team seems to be amiss. I thought for

a while it was perhaps a key player or two away from being better than 500... Somehow

the teams personality is off balance. They come out hoping to win, not really wanting

to win..Seems they are always on their heels, relying on Ward to stop a great play

in stead of offensively making a great play... Somethings broke with the Canes...

Now Im no expert, just a fan, and just my opinion.....

You may not be an expert but you are definitely correct about something being broke.

I continue to think it's Mediocre Mo's poor leadership that's the problem. He's a career 500 leader and it appears that's all he knows. In his mind, he GAVE UP the Chicago game before it even started, so he starts Peters against the defending cup champs and demonstrates to the team that it's OK to drop this one.

WHAT AN IDIOT !

Canes will need to win at least 10 of the remaining 16 games ( 91 points minimum) to just have an outside chance at making the 8th spot. Unfortunately, I don't see 10 wins happening ... probably closer to 6, and a season ending 9th at best.

I hate that I'm feeeling this way, but with Mediocre Mo at the helm ... that's all they'll ever be !

MO GOTTA GO !

You may not be an expert but you are definitely correct about something being broke.

I continue to think it's Mediocre Mo's poor leadership that's the problem. He's a career 500 leader and it appears that's all he knows. In his mind, he GAVE UP the Chicago game before it even started, so he starts Peters against the defending cup champs and demonstrates to the team that it's OK to drop this one.

WHAT AN IDIOT !

Canes will need to win at least 10 of the remaining 16 games ( 91 points minimum) to just have an outside chance at making the 8th spot. Unfortunately, I don't see 10 wins happening ... probably closer to 6, and a season ending 9th at best.

I hate that I'm feeeling this way, but with Mediocre Mo at the helm ... that's all they'll ever be !

MO GOTTA GO !

Ive been a Mo fan for a long time, and always thought he brought a level-headed approach the game. So Im not sure if his style of coaching/System has lost its effectiveness or not.. What I am sure of, is this team has no self confidence and or no desire to push their level of play higher.. I hope Im wrong, but I cant see us winning 10 of 16 remaining..

Essentially, the Canes have to win 2 out of 3 games every week, for the remainder of the season.

This would be the equivalent of winning 10 of the remaining 16 without needing to go on a multi-game win streak.

Although this is a tall task, it can be done and has been done by this team, periodically, throughout this season.

The key is to win at home. We have exactly 10 home games remaining.

This team is young and needs the support of the fans if there is ANY chance of making the playoffs.

I've been to several games recently and must admit that I was disappointed in both the attendance and the lack of "urgency" from the crowd. The fan support has always been a difference maker for the Canes. I do not like MO, I think our defensive system stinks, plus a laundry list of other complaints I could make. However, the only thing I can do about it is show up each night and give the Canes as much energy as possible. So that's what I will do.

Let's Go Canes!

If the team continues to play at it's just above .500 we will come up short. In order to make the playoffs,

we would have to see the whole team crank their play up into another gear. We have done this in the

past---------but many of those guys are no longer on the team !!

So can they do it again ? Yes

Will they do it ? Who knows.

But we fans need to be at the 10 home games to give them as much energy as possible !

(They have already done better than most of us thought.)

GO CANES !!

well after everything broke WRONG over the weekend with buffalo and rangers winning.. maybe this week things break righ for canes!..

We are off to a good start with Buffalo,toronto and who knew they could even lose anymore, the devils, losing!...That was the way we needed the week to start now cans ahve to go out and get 5-6 points this week and we should be in good shape!

that's my story and sticking to it!

Edited by canes-in-7

Speaking as a schedule nerd, one must look deeper into these back to backs. The disadvantage of the back to back is only there when playing a rested team. If the other team is also back to back, then that goes out the window. Also, in theory it is easier to play on the road in game one, then back home in game two.

Our remaining back to backs, 4/5 are against a team that is ALSO back to back. Only the 16th vs Toronto, which is at least a home game is a true disadvantageous back to back. Further, we are the home team on the back end of all 5 back to backs. Thus, the back to backs are a minor issue. What is not minor is that 9 of our remaining 15 games are at home.

I am looking hard at the 5 games immediately in front of the home and home with Tampa. 4 of the 5 are at home, but two of them are back to back at home (Columbus is also playing unrested). All 5 are teams we can beat, and if we can sweep that back to back on 15,16 we can put distance between two teams in the race. That would also have us sweep the only back to back vs a rested team that we have left. Take all 5 of those, and split with Tampa, and beat Buffalo at home on the 3rd and it will be pretty much a lock.

Yes, I know, winning 5 in a row is a stretch for this team, but Columbus traveling to us back to back, and NYI, Ottawa, really ought to be wins, so we just need to find a way on the 15-16th to make it possible.

Edited by remkin

I think we are done because we have too many back to backs. I see us finishing 9th.

There's no way we're done yet. Still a lot of hockey left to play, and we're tied in points with Buffalo and only 2 behind NYR. Yes, we have a lot of back-to-backs. I will reiterate that I think we need to hit 90 points, so we need 18 points in 15 games. 8-5-2 would do it. So would 6-3-6 (which is Mo hockey).

Regardless of where we end up, it's a great crucible for this young team to be in. They should only be getting better heading in to 2011-2012.