• 3rd or better
    • 4th
    • 5th
    • 6th
    • 7th
    • 8th
    • 9th
    • 10th or worse

Speaking as a schedule nerd, one must look deeper into these back to backs. The disadvantage of the back to back is only there when playing a rested team. If the other team is also back to back, then that goes out the window. Also, in theory it is easier to play on the road in game one, then back home in game two.

Our remaining back to backs, 4/5 are against a team that is ALSO back to back. Only the 16th vs Toronto, which is at least a home game is a true disadvantageous back to back. Further, we are the home team on the back end of all 5 back to backs. Thus, the back to backs are a minor issue. What is not minor is that 9 of our remaining 15 games are at home.

I am looking hard at the 5 games immediately in front of the home and home with Tampa. 4 of the 5 are at home, but two of them are back to back at home (Columbus is also playing unrested). All 5 are teams we can beat, and if we can sweep that back to back on 15,16 we can put distance between two teams in the race. That would also have us sweep the only back to back vs a rested team that we have left. Take all 5 of those, and split with Tampa, and beat Buffalo at home on the 3rd and it will be pretty much a lock.

Yes, I know, winning 5 in a row is a stretch for this team, but Columbus traveling to us back to back, and NYI, Ottawa, really ought to be wins, so we just need to find a way on the 15-16th to make it possible.

I can't believe I hadn't noticed the back to back issue you bring up with the other teams. But hey, you are the schedule dude! ;) You've get me stumped, so I'll have to get back with you on this one. Interesting thoughts though.

and we're tied in points with Buffalo

but the Slugs have more wins than the Canes and wins decide the tie-breaker

Technically, it's regulation wins. Wins in overtime don't factor into the first tiebreaker.

:)

Technically, it's regulation wins. Wins in overtime don't factor into the first tiebreaker.

:)

I think the Shootout wins don't count, but the Overtime wins do.

Yea that's how I see it too. NHL.com even has a new column when looking at the standings (ROW: Regulation+Overtime Wins)

Well, the slugs knock off Boston in OT and take the 7th spot from the Rangers. We are 2 points back of the blue shirts with 2 games at hand. Need a win against the Crapitals tonight. This will be a tall order as the caps are surging. Toronto lost last night as well, so that should slow them down a bit.

The Sabres are showing no signs of slowing down either and don't look like they will falter coming down the stretch. We will need to win both head to head match-ups with them in the next 3 weeks or at least get a split.

We hold our destiny in our hands and will need to win more games than the Rangers to make the playoffs, it is that simple.B)

Yea that's how I see it too. NHL.com even has a new column when looking at the standings (ROW: Regulation+Overtime Wins)

Yes, you are both right. Shootout wins are devalued, so the tiebreaker is Regulation + Overtime Wins. That's what I meant but didn't type it correctly. Thanks! :D

The Canes are rapidly running out of season. If 90 points is the magic number they

need 18 points in 14 games. To get to this point requires

6-2-6

7-3-4

8-4-2

9-5-0

If the Canes fail to make the playoffs this year (which I hope they don't fail), what kind of moves should management look to make in the off season? What does this team need to be a contender next season?

New Coaches-- with no ties to this organization, faceoff winner, stay at home d-man, another good winger to complement Staal and take pressure off him!JMO

They need a few more players with grit that are not afraid to go to and stay in front of the offensive net. They need more physical play among all of their players but especially the defense. Think about the games this year when they are banging the boards and the success that often brings. Finally, as mentioned in this thread as well as others -- get some coaches that will teach, lead and fire this team up.

honest question: is there a team that uses the dump/chase and is a continual playoff contender?

Not making the playoffs THIS season isn't that drastic b/c they were expected to contend for a bottom seed at best. However, this team does not have an identity. Lines change on shift-by-shift basis.

There are a number of UFAs on this team, and given the results of the season, I would give all of them their walking papers. I do not want to see the team b/c like the Kitty-kats where not making the playoffs is the norm rather than the exception.