The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
ao-1

Whoa, check this kid out guys

I wish there was some way we could see impressive moves at higher levels but the stakes are always to high to risk it, even in a shootout. Usually the thing i hear from non-hockey fans as to why they don't like it is something like "oh anybody could do that, it's just skating around and hitting people occasionally".

I'm serious, I hear it a lot. It's either that or that it's boring, but most of the time that's because they don't understand the rules. That's not what i'm talking about.

I would think our players would be capable of these moves, they are just afraid of messing up and looking silly and blowing the game. Or maybe the kid is just amazing. Who knows.

One of the players or coaches mentioned at one point that the shootout was a delicate balance between entertaining the fans and winning games, and winning games usually wins out.

its amazing the kid can do this and what not... but i'd rather see him pull it off 5 on 5.

Some of ya'll said why dont they use these moves... well a couple if you really try to follow the puck the puck stops forward progression and on two it goes backwards and I think thats illegal in the NHL. He does a spin on one and that ones defintly illegal.

Regardless, if you want the NHL shootout to come to this.... pull the goalies because no goalies gonna stop this honestly its all in one guys hands and wether or not he screws up the shot.... its boring, more boring then the way we end OT games now.

So the proposition in the end is to end ties with a slam dunk contest? Start putting cones and chairs and have them slide a puck under the chair jump over the chair and successfully keep the puck in control and score still...

gotta be a better way to end a hockey game then the shootout..

and again not to bash on the kid those are sick moves for his age... but again I'd like to see him do that to a defender...which at that level I'm sure he can and does but it wont last when the kids get bigger.

Is there any league in the world that allows players to play with finesse and skill? If so I'll find a way to watch and become a fan.

at

I like when they use moves to beat defenders too, i'm not just a shootout proponent. I'm not concerned with the shootout as I am with the league in general. It may have something to do with the talent dilution argument hoyle likes to make, but it just seems like the average player during games does the same basic things, pass the puck back and forth, dump and chase, get the puck back, throw it at the net and hope for the best. Nothing creative or interesting, no dodging defenses and nothing to make the casual or non-hockey fan jump out of their seat and take notice other than a HUGE check or maybe a beautiful one-timer. I'd just like to see some more dangling, I think there are good danglers but the coaches discourage it because it might lead to turnovers. Who cares, just trust your defense and goalie and try to entertain the fans.

Well if you want the dangler to be successful your gonna have to take out checking... because when a guy dangles a good d-man plays the body. Some will watch the puck and get burned but the good ones put the player on their butt.

I think your giving a bit to much credit to the finesse player as well, for the Leclair's and Roenicks and everyone who successful back in the day theres alot to be said about being able to take on a check and be strong enough to maintain puck control.

Theres a very simple way of adding more finesse to the game and we all know the answer and the NHL knows it. Theres a very simple reason why the olympics are so exciting. Olympic size ice... give them some room.

Why will this never happen? Because you gotta uproot the most expensive seats the common fan sits in to do it.

Hmm, I do absolutely love olympic hockey. Team Russia at the WJC was a joy to watch for a finesse fan like me. They did come pretty close but Canada's physical style pulled through once again...one more cherepanov though and it would have been too much for them to handle.

Oveckin, Jagr, Forsberg, just some examples of hybrids who can take a check and hold the puck or dangle by you, or just make a brilliant setup pass. Their choice. League needs more players of this calibre.

You don't see moves like that in 5 on 5 because it's no different then skating through the trolley-tracks with your head down....if you understand hockey lingo....

I honestly think Crosby invented some of those moves because he knew he was going to be a marketed on TV commercials when he got into the NHL.

Hmm, I do absolutely love olympic hockey. Team Russia at the WJC was a joy to watch for a finesse fan like me. They did come pretty close but Canada's physical style pulled through once again...one more cherepanov though and it would have been too much for them to handle.

Oveckin, Jagr, Forsberg, just some examples of hybrids who can take a check and hold the puck or dangle by you, or just make a brilliant setup pass. Their choice. League needs more players of this calibre.

So what would you suggest that the NHL do to bring that about? Start scouting mites and midgets and giving scholarships so their families can focus entirely on developing their young prodigies? That's obviously impractical, but short of selective breeding of players I'm not sure what the league could do to develop the kind of talent those players you mentioned bring to the game. (I'd add Fedorov to that list too.)

I agree, it's a marvel to watch a guy undress three defenders and a goaltender on the way to roofing a shot. I loved watching Forsberg in Colorado. Every time he gained the zone you had the feeling something remarkable was gonna happen. I see the same thing with Erik Cole on occasion (like that play against the Bruins back in December). But there's a reason these guys are singled out as superstars. They can do things most players can't.

As for making the ice surface bigger, hey... I'm all for it but it's never gonna happen. The refit costs on 30 NHL arenas alone would be staggering, but then you have to think about the minor league teams too. And as Froggie mentioned, they'd have to uproot those high-dollar seats -- and it would decrease overall capacity by ... how many rows I don't know, but they're the expensive ones.

Of course if you look at it from the other perspective, by increasing the rink dimensions, you increase the number of ice-level seats too. So you get back some of the dollars...

It's way too early for this kind of math.

canesmojo, that's what the NHL used to do with young talent before the draft was instituted. Bobby Orr was signed by the Bruins at the age of 14.

Anyways in regards to the rink size. Some argue that the NHL won't go to international ice surface simply out of principle. North American hockey has hailed itself as the best style of hockey for years. Making the rink bigger could be seen as conforming to a style of hockey that the NHL has labeled as finesse sissy hockey for years.

But a more reasonable explanation, is that the NHL would lose a good percentage of its league due to age and fatigue. Guys like Chelios, Wesley, Weight, Tkachuk, Modano, Roberts, and possibly Sakic are getting too old to be whipping around an ice rink that's twice the size. You could point to the Olympics as proof that they can, but an 8 game tournament is hard to speak for an 82 game season. Most European leagues have around 60 game seasons if I'm not mistaken. Those extra 22 games are huge on player conditioning.

And of course mojo brings up a very valid point about seats.

Afraid of a little competition from some crafty Europeans I guess. NHL Marketing dept. wants at least half the stars to be considered north american i bet.

That's possible....

but North American performance in international hockey, particularly the World Juniors would be a good argument against that. Int hockey follows european rules and regulations.