The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
CanadianHockeyFan88

What Movie did you see recently?

"Titanic" last night on ABC Family. Hadn't seen this in years and had forgotten the plot and how intense the scenes where the ship sinks are. I also remembered how much I disliked the Celine Dion song that came from it.

I saw a few this weekend, while I was up visiting friends and family: The Big Lebowski, Surrogates, Runaway Train, Men who Stare at Goats. They were all good.

I saw Fast Five recently. First movie of the series I have watched and I really enjoyed it. I actually purchased the whole series (1-4) and have watched the first one. I will watch the second one in the near future.

Saw Thor last Sunday, it was entertaining. Its not going to win any awards, but for a summer flick it was enjoyable.

True Grit was amazing.

Watched Shutter Island with my brother last night. I normally don't like Martin Scorsese and up to this point I didn't care for Leonardo DiCaprio... but after seeing Shutter Island, I had to change my opinion of both. Fantastic movie... very well made.

The last one I say at a threatre was "Pirate of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" which is yet another "pirate" movie lacking ONE single act of piracy. You know, based on the evidence of the films, Jack Sparrow would be acquitted of charges of piracy for lack of evidence. The other "pirate" stuff was fun, but completely comical in relation to historical pirates.

You know, if SOMEONE did a pirate movie based on the actual history, it would both be better, more interesting, engaging, brutal, and far more realistic and accurate. In the case of pirates, the more historically accurate, the better a movie would be.

Most recently, I've been watching some movies I borrowed from my neighbor and a number I got for $3/each from Big Lots earlier this week.

When I have time w/ no kids around, I'm gonna watch "Slap Shot." It's got new relevance in light of recent events . . .

Fever Pitch on FX. It was pretty good, and this coming from a guy that really isn't into romantic comedies.

If you liked that, you should see the documentary film on the Red Sox it was based on:

http://www.amazon.com/Still-We-Believe-Boston-Movie/dp/B0002ABUWU/ref=sr_1_7?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1307236087&sr=1-7

Many of the other fans in the stands of "Fever Pitch" are from "Still We Believe," most obviously the 2 blondes that sit right near the 2 main characters of "Fever Pitch."

Watched The Town the other day, and quite enjoyed it. Easy to watch action film that doesn't get too over the top. Bit cheesy at times, but well worth a watch.

The last one I say at a threatre was "Pirate of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides" which is yet another "pirate" movie lacking ONE single act of piracy. You know, based on the evidence of the films, Jack Sparrow would be acquitted of charges of piracy for lack of evidence.

Maybe it's Disney's way of discouraging DVD piracy - "Hi, I'm Jack Sparrow and I've stolen a lot of things, but I'd never steal Disney property". All joking aside, I never thought about it but you're right... no piracy in a pirate movie trilogy, what a concept. Lets make Miracle without any hockey, or Saving Private Ryan without a war, or Schindler's List without any Jewish people. Disney = fail

On, on that notion . . .

My copy of "The Black Swan" (1942) has a LONG "Piracy is a Crime" intro. It always cracks me up that a pirate DVD opens with an anti-piracy ad . . .

(Oh, and my view on pirates and piracy is slanted: I am a trained historian and a pirate/early 18th C. reenactor/living history-folk. That's were "Tartan Jack" came from- an English friend of my was ribbing me for my interest in Scotland and he referenced me as "Tartan Jack," as a comparison to the seriously over-rated historical John "Calico Jack" Rackham.

The documentary Gas Lines (I think) is fantastic. It won an oscar. This film is unbelievable. People turning on their faucets and setting light to the water!!

town was good, and the one with the kids witnessing the train wreck [set in the 70s] was a bit different but good.

Lets see, watched part 1 of the death note movie, which as pretty good, the effects were not great but got the same feel that the series did.

Super 8 was a good movie, saw that as part of my father's day, not amazing but worth seeing.

Lets see, watched part 1 of the death note movie, which as pretty good, the effects were not great but got the same feel that the series did.

Have you ever read comic books? I think I like comic books version better.

I just watched 'Wolf Creek.' I don't know why people like it. I think it's an overrated horror movie with basic predictable script and characters without brains.

Have you ever read comic books? I think I like comic books version better.

I haven't, I get a lot of the manga is better than the anime, which in some cases is true, but to be honest most of the time it is exactly the same imo. Not saying it is in this case, cause I just don't have the time read it atm.