The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Checkers defense question

Can someone who follows the Checkers pretty closely please give some kind of breakdown/evaluation of their defense?

Are any players close?

What are their strong points (offensive, stay at home)?

Developmentally, where do they stand and are any of them ready jump in with the Canes?

I go to a lot of Checkers game, so I can give you my personal analysis on how they're playing now.

Starting off with the captain Bryan Rodney, he's an offensive defenseman. He has the ability to move the puck well in the defensive zone, as well as the offensive zone. With the puck he has no problems, but away from the puck is a problem. Rodney isn't a big guy, so he isn't physical in his own zone. He needs to learn how to throw his weight around and I think that is what's holding him back from the N.H.L.

Bobby Sanguinetti - Before Bobby went out with injury this year he was leading the defense in points. He is another offensive defenseman and when he sees an offensive chance he's not afraid to go for it. He's tall, which means he has a longer stick reach which benefits him. He's also got speed when moving from the defensive zone to the offensive zone. IMO Sanguinetti is a way away from the NHL because he needs to work on his positioning in front of the net. Sometimes he's out of position in the dzone because he was trying to be more offensive and it ends up hurting his game. Then again that's all I could see from only 19 games this season and he's out for the rest of the season, so it's hard to assess his game when he hasn't played that long.

Zack Fitzgerald - This guy is definitely a fan favorite here in Charlotte. He has his own posse and everyone likes him. He lacks nothing in the physical department, because that's his game. He's a real physical defenseman and has no problem sticking up for himself or a teammate. He's more a stay at home defenseman. Fitzy lacks speed to keep up the NHL players. I think he'll spend most of his career in the AHL, unless he picks up his speed and offense.

Casey Borer - Another defensive defenseman. He moves the puck very efficiently when under pressure. He has the speed and size to be a shutdown defenseman in the NHL. He's a very underrated player in my opinion. He lacks offense, but he's very solid and confident with the puck. He sees the ice really well. Borer just needs to work on his offense more. He has a couple goals this season, but he's more of a play maker. I think he should get the call up if a defenseman gets hurt.

Brett Carson - Carson plays the most of all the defenseman on the Checkers. He's an all around solid defenseman. When needed to he can chip in on offense and has no problem in front of the cage. The speed is there, as well. Carson is a big guy and is physical when needed, but he could use his size to his advantage more often. He needs to work on his one timers on the PP. As Canes fans know he's been between the two clubs for the past two seasons and I see him staying up there once the timing is right. He needs to prove he can be the quarterback on PP and put points on the board before he gets a call up to the big leagues.

Brett Bellemore - Brett is a big stay at home defenseman. He has a physical game and isn't afraid to throw his weight around or drop the gloves when needed. As the season has progressed I've noticed he's gotten better on his playmaking skills. He's been a consistently solid guy on the blueline so far. He doesn't seem to be bothered in the dzone when there's pressure applied. Bellemore has been solid on the kill this season. He's offensive game isn't where it should be. I think it's his offense that's not giving him a look from the big leagues. He isn't a goal scorer or a flashy guy, but he's been solid on the backend.

Michal Jordan - I saved the best for last :) Personally Michal is my favorite player on the team this season. I've met him and he's the sweetest guy. For his first year in the pros he's been a good two way defenseman. He's big guy who's physical. He also has no problem dropping the gloves to stick up for a teammate. He has good speed & a good feel for the game. Michal is a puck moving defenseman, who thrives on the PP. He is dependable in his own end and has good positioning in front of the net. IMO he'll be a powerhouse defenseman one day. Right now he has to work on his scoring skills, because he has the ability to make plays in both zones. He's only 20 years old, youngest on the team, so he has time to better his game.

This is just my personal views on these guys. I hope it helped!

Happy to have Sanguinetti in the system. He's going to be a great player for us IMO. Lets hope he recovers well and stays healthy next season.

Also like Jordan for his stand-up-for my team mentality, along with his epic name :D.

This is great info, thanks!

Looks like Brett Carson got the call to replace Pitkanen. I guess someone decided that solid, speedy and physical were more important than scoring right now.

Happy to have Sanguinetti in the system. He's going to be a great player for us IMO. Lets hope he recovers well and stays healthy next season.

Also like Jordan for his stand-up-for my team mentality, along with his epic name :D.

Michal prob has the best name on the team, but it's not pronounced the way the other Michael Jordan in Charlotte is. He made sure to correct me when I met him.

Can somebody please offer their thoughts regarding the forwards? Which players may be ready to compete for a spot with the Canes next season? With free agency looming, it would be nice to learn which of the younger guys may step up. Thanks.

Edited by Barnacles9

Michal prob has the best name on the team, but it's not pronounced the way the other Michael Jordan in Charlotte is. He made sure to correct me when I met him.

How does he pronounce it? I automatically went which a French style like "Me-chel Jour-dan" but then I realized he is Czech. On TV they pronounce the first name like normal Micheal and then the last with the long o like Jourdan. Is it more like a Russian/Western European pronunciation like Mikhail or normal Micheal. I got an Autograph from him a couple weeks ago, but didn't say his name and didn't ask him.

How does he pronounce it? I automatically went which a French style like "Me-chel Jour-dan" but then I realized he is Czech. On TV they pronounce the first name like normal Micheal and then the last with the long o like Jourdan. Is it more like a Russian/Western European pronunciation like Mikhail or normal Micheal. I got an Autograph from him a couple weeks ago, but didn't say his name and didn't ask him.

The way I've heard it over the PA system is ME-HOW YOUR-DONE.

So yeah, it's not the American sounding name, but it's still epic and the fact that he's in the same city as the basketball legend is also epic. They really should do a commercial or something together.

I say it like the broadcaster Shaya says it. He pronounces it like "Me-cal Jor-dan". But then Murph says pronounces it like Micheal Jordan in the Mike & Mike mailbag so idk? hah