The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
JLP

Volchenkov gets 3 games for hit on Boychuk

Per NHL.com

The NHL has suspended New Jersey Devils defenseman Anton Volchenkov for three games for an elbowing incident during Tuesday's nights 3-2 overtime victory against the Carolina Hurricanes, according to multiple reports, including a Twitter message from Volchenkov's agent, Jay Grossman.

At 9:02 of the second period, Volchenkov elbowed Hurricanes rookie forward Zach Boychuk in the head as Boychuk skated along the Carolina blue line.

Volchenkov was assessed a minor for elbowing on the play.

Volchenkov will miss games Thursday at the Maple Leafs, Friday's home game against the Sharks and Wednesday's re-match with the Hurricanes at the Prudential Center. He'll next be eligible to play Feb. 18 at home against the New York Rangers.

I thought he'd get two, but it was about as blatant as these hits go, so 3 games is well-deserved in my book.

We needed the PP more then we needed to send a message I think at that point.

Someone jumped on Volchenkov but he let up quickly. I think the PP was on their minds, Mo mighta been yelling to back off with how close to the bench they were.

I am glad a smidgin of confidence is being restored because I didn't think he was going to be suspended and 3 games is actually longer then the norm in my perspective.

I think the 3rd game may be the result of how the schedule would have worked out. Two would have allowed him to play against us next time, opening the door for retaliation and that sort of stuff. We don't need that right now, so I'm happy to see he won't be able to play next time.

I think the 3rd game may be the result of how the schedule would have worked out. Two would have allowed him to play against us next time, opening the door for retaliation and that sort of stuff. We don't need that right now, so I'm happy to see he won't be able to play next time.

but he will be able to play 3 days later on the 19th in raleigh.. just saying.. if going to retaliate that would be the game at home

but he will be able to play 3 days later on the 19th in raleigh.. just saying.. if going to retaliate that would be the game at home

Very true. I'm just hoping that by then we've got a good feeling after a successful road trip and are more focused on the 2 points available.

I'm glad to see a bit of punishment for that hit. Whether it be accident or not (I honestly could not tell), they really need to put a little more emphasis on those kinds of potential injuries. Intentional or not, they need to crack down on allowing players to get away with just minor/major penalties. In all truth, a hit like that could injure a player to the point where his hockey career could end, or even worse. The more they crack down on those hits, the more likely players will become more prone to actually trying to avoid laying a hit like that, instead of a...woops sorry didn't mean to. But that is just my two cents. Again I couldn't tell if it was intentional or not, but I think they did the right thing here in suspending him a few games.

Good post Codeseven. I agree, if they don't clamp down of stuff like this, careers are in jeopardy.

I'm glad that the league stepped in and did the right thing... but I am still mad the refs only gave him a minor - he should have gotten a match penalty for a headshot like that. If it were Gleason hitting Parise or Elias or Joe Blow... he would have been thrown out. I am sick and tired of the lack of consistancy in the officiating in the NHL... these double-standards are really hurting the Canes.

YES it was cheap, 3 games not enough! I just don't like it that No one came to Boychuks defense. I don't care about a PP,This is what shows the lack of team chemistry,team toughness. So I guess with that said I an disappointed all the way around. The Canes have to send a message and they didn't,now teams know that they can cheap shot our guys without any repercussions. NOT GOOD!!!IMO

YES it was cheap, 3 games not enough! I just don't like it that No one came to Boychuks defense. I don't care about a PP,This is what shows the lack of team chemistry,team toughness. So I guess with that said I an disappointed all the way around. The Canes have to send a message and they didn't,now teams know that they can cheap shot our guys without any repercussions. NOT GOOD!!!IMO

Here ya go DJ and the NJ broadcaster was even calling for Ryan Carter's head for coming to Boychuk's defense ;)

"I should keep my mouth shut" = smartest thing Chico has ever said...

I thought that was hysterical how he knew the minute it came out of his mouth.......