The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Jaysta

A Fond... Well, Not So Fond Farewell

I hate to see people leave. :( Especially people who have been around for awhile. I have frustrations with this board at times, but for now I'm going to stick around and see what happens. Things could get better with time which is what I'm hoping. I might hang out over at the other board from time to time, but I don't know if I'll post there more than I do here. At least not for the time being. I still love being on this board and I've made lots of friends on here. So unless all of them start jumping ship then I'm going to stick around. So, I'm sorry to see you go. Hopefully I'll see you around on the other board! :)

And like someone said, if we as fans can weather the 02-03 season, we can weather all of this. :)

I hate to see people leave. :( Especially people who have been around for awhile. I have frustrations with this board at times, but for now I'm going to stick around and see what happens. Things could get better with time which is what I'm hoping. I might hang out over at the other board from time to time, but I don't know if I'll post there more than I do here. At least not for the time being. I still love being on this board and I've made lots of friends on here. So unless all of them start jumping ship then I'm going to stick around. So, I'm sorry to see you go. Hopefully I'll see you around on the other board! :)

And like someone said, if we as fans can weather the 02-03 season, we can weather all of this. :)

My thoughts exactly.

My thoughts exactly.

And I'll third that.

Maybe I'm guilty of the thinking I'm better than management at times, but a lot of that goes to my love of the game and is just stating what I'd like to see happen rather than complaining. Sometimes it's just a post to get out a different viewpoint or play devil's advocate, too. Though I always try to be fair and understanding, and not trash any of the players or coaches, either. Not to mention that I would love to actually coach or manage a team sport someday (though I am realistic about that and know it's never going to be at the pro level, heh).

Hopefully things will improve, though. There may be a few bad apples, but overall there are still a lot of great people who post here.

I take all this with a grain of salt. As has been said, you can often tell by the subject title of a thread whether or not you want to "go there". And if things go down the slippery slope of insanity and (insert excuse here) as happened in the past 24 hrs, you can turn your back and turn on the "ignore" button.

Having grown up in a sports family with collegiate and professional connections, man have I seen and heard the insanity. EVERYONE thinks they are the expert and knows better than the coaches and management. Among the ND fan base, they even include GOD in the mix! and you have NOT seen board insanity until you have been on an ND board during losing seasons. The mods will shut down the boards on a daily basis at times! Truly, what has been going on here is spitballs.

It is unfortunate for anyone to feel that the "take my ball and leave" option is the only one. It is extremely short-sighted, and punishes no one. It certainly does nothing to extinquish the offensive behavior. The bashing gets tiresome and frustrating. I have to admit that finally someone got my Irish up and that takes a lot - the Teutonic half of my pedigree usually rides heavy-handed reining on the mare of Eyre - and I let loose. I normally just try to use a sense of humor to turn some of this insanity inside out on itself, but it's hard to read some of this stuff and sit on my hands. So I'll ask for pardon. But I won't pout.

I stayed off the local hockey boards for years because the other boards I am kept me plenty busy, but in this season's incarnation, I lurked a little longer and liked what I was reading. This seemed like a wonderful place to stop and enjoy being a fan of Hurricanes hockey. I think it still is. This board is NOTHING like many of the other teams' boards, and NOTHING like the boards of teams in sports that have been established in their home towns FOR DECADES. My goodness - in those cyberplaces, you can't walk in the virtual door without wearing flame retardant clothing and boasting a bomb-proof ego!

Props to both Melinda and Wardo30 for coming out and saying what has been on my mind for quite some time... I'm not exactly sure what has happened on this board, why it has "turned" the way it has (by no means the fault of the mods or admin) I can't even remember the last time I felt comfortable enough to even make a post on here without feeling like someone was going to jump down my throat for something I may have said..... I am thrilled that the old board is re-opened and I for one will be back there to a place where people seemed to respect each others different opinions, didn't make you feel stupid if you weren't quite the hockey expert that they were or if you just wanted to ask a question.

No offense to any of the members here that enjoy this type of atmosphere.... but it's not for me any longer.

For those of you that may not enjoy this atmosphere please feel free to come and join us.

Props to both Melinda and Wardo30 for coming out and saying what has been on my mind for quite some time... I'm not exactly sure what has happened on this board, why it has "turned" the way it has (by no means the fault of the mods or admin) I can't even remember the last time I felt comfortable enough to even make a post on here without feeling like someone was going to jump down my throat for something I may have said..... I am thrilled that the old board is re-opened and I for one will be back there to a place where people seemed to respect each others different opinions, didn't make you feel stupid if you weren't quite the hockey expert that they were or if you just wanted to ask a question.

No offense to any of the members here that enjoy this type of atmosphere.... but it's not for me any longer.

For those of you that may not enjoy this atmosphere please feel free to come and join us.

i agree with you, things here have just gotten way out of hand.

The few things I see is that there are way too many puck bunnies , a thread of who's cuter is ok but that seems to be a theme at times " Brindy may have screwed up but he's got the bod, so who cares" kinda hard to have a hockey discussion there....lol.

^^^ exactly!! man, ok, i admit it, there are a lot of cuties out there in NHL, but some of the not so good looking, [trying to be nice :D] players are some of the best!! i also would like to apologize if i have done any of the things that the original poster stated... when i complain about the Flames GM, I am only kidding, but, if it bothers anyone, I will stop. Sorry if I offend anyone!

Being recently new to the board, and a somewhat recent mega-fan of hockey (Used to be a Kings fan back in the early 90s...), I may have a different view point than those who are "pre-cuppers".

On one hand, I agree with the topic poster that the boards are convoluted, and not 100% on topic. Yet, I do not feel that this is 100% the users issue. There is a reason why there are moderators, and the mods are responsible for keeping threads on topic; for locking inappropriate topics; for warning/banning users based on inappropriate behaviour. Also, each forum should have a "sticky" thread at the top, which explains the "rules" and each forums "protocol"

Also, longer term users should help direct the newbies to the appropriate thread. We should all rejoice when a new member participates because it is one of the few methods that the Fan has to recruit people to the great sport of hockey, and hopefully woo people to be Caniacs. I fail to see how ripping someone apart for being "ignorant" or just plain "new" helps the situation.

Finally, this is a community board. As such, we must act as a community and help when need be. Some earlier posts have mentioned going to a different board that is for "pre-cuppers", etc. To me, this is an ignorant elitist way. Creating an elite group of Caniacs only segregates the fans more, thus makes the Caniac Nation weaker.

In closing, most of us are Canes fans, and are thus used to being called names, stereotypes, etc., so instead of acting like a Sabre fan, act like a Caniac and help the new fans, don't call THEM names, etc.

there are only so many hours in a day and to truly moderate this board in a civil fashion would take twice as many mods and twice the time. likewise the mods don't want old timers being junior mods and i don't blame them. it would just add to the confusion. you also have a situation where mods have their hands tied on some issues. i am sure it will all sort out in the wash but for now, i like the rest will limit my posting and time spent here and go over to proboards where it is all about the game.

I agree Team Yeug! I was actually just posting something that basically said what yours did, but it went away (technical difficulty i guess) :wink: What are the qualifications to being a vet. I see "pre-cup" being used alot. That mean actually winning it? or the cup season? And to have a "secret board" that you have to get "voted" into with a freakin' password to me isnt very "family friendly". Sounds more like "Survivor" Kinda like saying..."yeah, we wanna talk hockey with you, but only if you know the secret password, the secret handshake, the secret knock on the door, and have your de-coder ring which you should get in the mail! :roll: Before i get ripped to shreds, i do agree with alot of what Melinda said in the original post, but shouldnt admins and mods handle bickering, locking threads if needed? Yeah, they cant be here 24/7. Maybe have more mods so the board can be looked after more? When i saw a topic turning into a puckbunny thread, or going way off topic, if it wasnt addressed in the thread, that told me nobody (mods or admins) had a problem with it. I never did, i just stopped reading it. Speaking of puckbunny's Melinda, didnt your sig used to say puckbunny? until it was changed to puNk?

Well, guess thats all for now. Guess ill stand back and wait for the rocks and stones and arrows to come flying at me.

I also agree with what Yuengling said above. All sorts of things about the original post and some of the "pats on the back" to the poster are bothering me and Yuengling summed it up nicely.

Personally, since I haven't been around for a long time I don't really understand what the "old timers" or pre-cuppers expect or how things have changed.

Even more than that, I don't understand why aren't the mods to blame if there are problems with the boards?

I've been members of a lot of boards on a lot of different subjects. They all have the annoying, pointless threads and replies by users who are just wasting everyone's time. The difference is how the mods handle it. When people start seeing that mods lock repeat or childish threads, warn and suspend offenders, etc. (without being board-Nazis about it) those types of folks will go away.

Also, some of that responsibility is on...us! It's true that the mods can't do it all. If you see a thread that doesn't belong, don't reply to it. If we get 15 people replying to a repeat topic saying, "Already discussed here..." that just keeps that repeat thread at the top of the list.

I'm not out to offend anyone or make enemies here. I just have a hard time with someone who hops up on a soapbox to complain about how much better things used to be. Know what? Things change. If you don't like it, don't complain about it and run away. Do something about it.

Lastly, as a newer user, I'm working really hard to not get personally offended by this post. This kind of post, and the other ideas thrown out there about the old board, will only drive a wedge between older uses and newer users. Not sure how that helps anyone.

That's all for now.

And to have a "secret board" that you have to get "voted" into with a freakin' password to me isnt very "family friendly". Sounds more like "Survivor" Kinda like saying..."yeah, we wanna talk hockey with you, but only if you know the secret password, the secret handshake, the secret knock on the door, and have your de-coder ring which you should get in the mail!

There's nothing "secret" about the "other" boards, as Marcus posted the link to it on the first page of this thread:

http://carolinacanes.proboards99.com/index.cgi

We do handle the bickering & locked threads, but we get criticized when we do so. Won't keep us from doing it, though. And as for the "puckbunny" threads, they don't pop up that often & when they do, they run their route & die out. People have two choices when they show up: either do what you do, nash, & just ignore them, or participate, have whatever fun you want to have in them, & then let them die out. They don't exactly overrun the entire forum - there are enough topics on hockey to keep the ones that come here to strictly talk hockey occupied. Trust me, if we had the actual option to merge topics, we would. That is not an option for admins to use on here, unfortunately. And the only way for us to "warn" people on here is to do it either on the public forums or in PM's, as giving an "official warning" is not an option available to us, either.

Maybe i was mis-inderstood 300. I wasnt saying the entire board was secret. I used the link Ref gave us to take a peek at it. But i was referring to the section where you need a password to even get to it to post? I remember back on the "old boards" when you got a warning or probation, didnt it used to be posted on the side under your avatar? Something to the effect of "on probation until"? Only reason i seem to remember this is Ref (i think it was him) put me on probation or a warning for responding to a spammer. :mrgreen: Anyways...i hope my post didnt come off as i was complaining about mods or admins. i wasnt. I think you all do a good job. Your right about their being anough "hockey" topics to keep certain ppl occupied. I talk on those just as much as non-hockey topics. They ARE fun. more fun sometimes than hockey topics. :wink:

As one of the longer term members around here, I guess I'll address some of the concerns I've read. They are only my opinions.

IMO, the biggest problem this board has is that when things start taking a bad turn in a thread (off topic, argument, senseless chat and post count pushing), the Mods have no was to send out warnings to alert not only that person but also the board as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Because of this, the behavior appears acceptable and snowballs thus the quality of the board goes down.

I have no issues with females that want to discuss their favorite player or males that want to discuss their favorite storm squad member, but I do have a problem with it being on the Official Board of the Canes. I believe there was separate board created for just that purpose on the older boards.

For the record, I love when new members join and make great contributions to the board. This board was challenging from the beginning for newer members to figure out how things worked because of the limitations by the mods. I think Marcus himself said that certain things just have to be overlooked because there is little that can be done to control it. So if you're a newer member and this is all you've seen, there's no way to hold anyone accountable to any particular standard and this is where things started go wrong in some folks eyes.

One of things that made our board so awesome was the fact that it was family friendly and members were very respectful toward each other. Now I realize that during a winning season, people are going to get along better and not have as much to argue about but I have faith that we can agree to disagree with each other without having to create multiple threads flaming the players and the organization. If someone feels that a player is not contributing his share, instead of saying _____needs to be traded or ______sucks!, maybe post what your seeing that concerns you without just flaming the player.

I for one hope this board straightens out before the playoffs (optimistic we'll be in it 8)) because for those that weren't around last playoffs, its a blast! We'll get lots of great visitors from the opposing team (unfortunately trolls too) who just want to talk playoff hockey. Some of our current members who are fans from other teams joined during the playoffs and stuck around cause they felt so welcome and respected. We have to learn how to handle ourselves with each other before the opposition shows up.

These are just my thoughts, agree or disagree. Just remember, everyone who wants a classy and respectable board, whether you know much about hockey or not, is welcome. All others need to create a Canes chat room somewhere away from the main site.

As one of the longer term members around here, I guess I'll address some of the concerns I've read. They are only my opinions.

IMO, the biggest problem this board has is that when things start taking a bad turn in a thread (off topic, argument, senseless chat and post count pushing), the Mods have no was to send out warnings to alert not only that person but also the board as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Because of this, the behavior appears acceptable and snowballs thus the quality of the board goes down.

I have no issues with females that want to discuss their favorite player or males that want to discuss their favorite storm squad member, but I do have a problem with it being on the Official Board of the Canes. I believe there was separate board created for just that purpose on the older boards.

For the record, I love when new members join and make great contributions to the board. This board was challenging from the beginning for newer members to figure out how things worked because of the limitations by the mods. I think Marcus himself said that certain things just have to be overlooked because there is little that can be done to control it. So if you're a newer member and this is all you've seen, there's no way to hold anyone accountable to any particular standard and this is where things started go wrong in some folks eyes.

One of things that made our board so awesome was the fact that it was family friendly and members were very respectful toward each other. Now I realize that during a winning season, people are going to get along better and not have as much to argue about but I have faith that we can agree to disagree with each other without having to create multiple threads flaming the players and the organization. If someone feels that a player is not contributing his share, instead of saying _____needs to be traded or ______sucks!, maybe post what your seeing that concerns you without just flaming the player.

I for one hope this board straightens out before the playoffs (optimistic we'll be in it 8)) because for those that weren't around last playoffs, its a blast! We'll get lots of great visitors from the opposing team (unfortunately trolls too) who just want to talk playoff hockey. Some of our current members who are fans from other teams joined during the playoffs and stuck around cause they felt so welcome and respected. We have to learn how to handle ourselves with each other before the opposition shows up.

These are just my thoughts, agree or disagree. Just remember, everyone who wants a classy and respectable board, whether you know much about hockey or not, is welcome. All others need to create a Canes chat room somewhere away from the main site.

all in all this is a good board, by saying "puckbunnies" I didn't mean that is the only thing here, just lately. I like this board, compared to some others people actually read and converse with each other, (especially outsiders....lol)....sorry, people I ain't going anywhere....lol

Maybe i was mis-inderstood 300. I wasnt saying the entire board was secret. I used the link Ref gave us to take a peek at it. But i was referring to the section where you need a password to even get to it to post? I remember back on the "old boards" when you got a warning or probation, didnt it used to be posted on the side under your avatar? Something to the effect of "on probation until"? Only reason i seem to remember this is Ref (i think it was him) put me on probation or a warning for responding to a spammer. :mrgreen: Anyways...i hope my post didnt come off as i was complaining about mods or admins. i wasnt. I think you all do a good job. Your right about their being anough "hockey" topics to keep certain ppl occupied. I talk on those just as much as non-hockey topics. They ARE fun. more fun sometimes than hockey topics. :wink:

Okay, sorry if I misunderstood what you were refering to, & yes, nash, you are correct - the other boards allow us to issue actual warnings & allow us to ban & put "BANNED!" in BIG RED LETTERS under the user name, as we can actually ban people over there (but not w/out a good reason)... & I think you've proven that you're not a spammer, LOL! I enjoy having you here w/ us.

To address TSA's concerns:

IMO, the biggest problem this board has is that when things start taking a bad turn in a thread (off topic, argument, senseless chat and post count pushing), the Mods have no way to send out warnings to alert not only that person but also the board as to what is acceptable and what isn't.

True, we don't have that ability here, but there is the TOS up there floating around in the information section (although sometimes it doesn't appear that some people want to either look for it or even read it, & the sticky option that we have doesn't always work on here, as sometimes something is stickied, & as soon as someone replies to that thread, it unstickies for some wacked out reason), & also there are threads that have been locked for certain reasons (I at least try to put my reasoning at the end of it as to why it's being locked)... problem there is that newer members don't want to take the time to "research" the boards, find out what's allowed & what's not allowed, find out what types of personalities are at work on here, figure out what goes where, etc., & they just jump in here & start posting. I personally research a forum that I'm interested in joining, so I can find out all of those things & more before I start posting, as I did w/ these boards (I once researched a non-hockey related board for 2 months before actually registering & posting). If we catch something posted out of place, we simply move it to the appropriate forums. Like I said, we don't have the "merge" option, or else we'd use it & it would help clean up the boards a little more. As far as having a seperate forum on here for just the bunny threads, male or female, I recall Marcus saying that we don't have the space to do so on here? Correct me if I'm wrong & someone finds his reply & posts it here.

Which was why Marcus reopened the other boards for business, so to speak. We have a few more options there that we don't have available here.

True, but people also want to vent their frustrations about the team not playing so well all the same. We also have younger members joining & they don't always use tact when posting their first few posts (which would be helped tremedously if they only did the research on the boards, as I stated earlier), so we have to either try to "steer them in the right direction", as we are the "elders" of the boards, or give them a "warning" PM :roll: The older people that register usually catch on after a few posts, but I agree w/ the fact that all members should take care & attempt to be respectful & courteous to each other, & at least be civil to the members that they don't neccessarily get along w/. It would make our jobs easier & also make this forum fun to come to & participate in, but alot of that rides on the members themselves to do so. We can only "warn" them, lock their accounts or server ban 'em. If they wanna stick around here, then they'll comply. If not, they're out the door.

all in all this is a good board, by saying "puckbunnies" I didn't mean that is the only thing here, just lately. I like this board, compared to some others people actually read and converse with each other, (especially outsiders....lol)....sorry, people I ain't going anywhere....lol

Thank you.... & we know we're stuck with you, FW.

the bickering and BS that happens on a couple of other boards I am a member of (not hockey related) is why I do not post much, I just like to get on here and read and I occasionally post, but I try to stick to neutral topics so not to offend anyone, or raise my blood pressure (although sometimes I do read some things on here that really gets my blood pressure up)

I don't understand where this is coming from. I've rarely seen "puckbunny" comments. Any comment about trading I've seen is either A. someone venting their anger at a bad play and obviously not to be taken seriously or B. Viable alternate candidates to be traded instead of *insert player here*

The only flaming I've seen usually comes from those who haven't been around the board enough to realize the difference between insulting a player and pointing out a player's flaws. If I say "Grahame sucks and needs to be traded", that's insulting him. If I say "Grahame gives up too many rebounds for my taste. I wish he would work on that", that's pointing out a flaw (IMO).

Exactly, i can be a Tanabe basher at times but it has everything to do with his level of play and turnovers and nothing to do with him personally. but when i say something about it i get assaulted by two specific puckbunnies that like him because he is cute. i didn't get season tickets to watch a player lovefest, i pay the price to watch hockey - good hockey!!