The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Jaysta

A Fond... Well, Not So Fond Farewell

Exactly, i can be a Tanabe basher at times but it has everything to do with his level of play and turnovers and nothing to do with him personally. but when i say something about it i get assaulted by two specific puckbunnies that like him because he is cute. i didn't get season tickets to watch a player lovefest, i pay the price to watch hockey - good hockey!!

I surely hope you aren't refering to Tangled and me. We tend to be the Tanabe defenders, but it's not because he's cute. Sure we find him attractive, but we always tend to use facts and stats when we give our arguments. If you aren't refering to us, just ignore this. I just know she and I have been major Tanabe defenders on this board, but it isn't because we're puckbunnies because we're far from it. :)

Melinda, you're absolutely right about the fairweather fans and stuff, but I think you might be taking it too far by leaving. Every fan base has its good fans, and its fairweather fans. While this board has its share of fairweather fans, there's also some really good fans here. Plus, I like a lot of the people here. You've just got to take the bad with the good. Perhaps you will change your mind soon.

I would say I concur with Melinda's points. There has been a difference in the overall feel of the board from a year ago until now.

Talking about fair-weather fans: I was still in high school when the Canes went on their first cup run against Detroit. I didn't really give a hoot about hockey. But that year alone turned me onto hockey when I went to my first Canes game and when the playoffs were on, I went to the "ESA" (who remembers that???) to watch the games at the outdoor tents because I couldn't get tickets inside, and when I would go watch away playoff games on the big screens inside the arena. I guess you could say then I became a bandwagon fan after that even though we lost, but I did stay on the wagon through the miserable '02-'03 season because I got hooked and have been on ever since. It is frustrating to pull for a team through thick and thin and watch half-hearted fans come alongside you and criticize every little poor move or bad decision, and then when the team wins something, everyone rushes out to buy the team's jersey or cap like they have been lifelong fans (EVERYONE at school had a Red Sox hat the week of the World Series and the weeks after they won a few years ago, but back to hockey).

I DON'T post very much, because compared to several people on this board, I don't have the depth of knowledge and background that they do about hockey in general. I feel a little more able to comment on the team, but even then I don't unless something really impresses me. As a general rule, I do try to find the positive. I also find I can learn a lot from the observations of the "tenured" members on this board. On the other hand, it's annoying to see "------- SUCKS" every third message or "OMG ----------- IS SOOOOO HOTTTT" But really, I just ignore those.

There is no perfect hockey board. I learned this the hard way.

i agree, but the canes need to give marcus, 300, et al at least some better software to work with that gives them more control when things get outta hand. i doubt we are talking big bucks here, probably less than Pete leaves for a tip at fancy restaurants!!

Amen 97. Needless to say, I agree w/ Melinda in just about everything she said. The mods should be able to read and just delete useless threads that don't have anything to do with hockey, the Canes or Caniacs in general. I'll be the first to admit that I do drool over some of the players but it's just random kidding and I'd never act on it even if given the chance. These boards are just like real life...whenever you have two or more people, you're gonna have two or more opinions. It's like the old saying goes, opinions are like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, everyone's got one. I've noticed that when I've mentioned my view on some of the message boards, I've been jumped on by a few. I wasn't trying to "compete" with a hockey know it all and I certainly was not trying to prove that mine was bigger than anyone else's. I, too, (brave vixen that I am) soon came to the conclusion that I would be very, very careful about what I typed. I also thought that "most" of us in here were adults. Sometimes I got the feeling like I was in "teen angst chat." Yeah, I'm showing my age but hey, I'm proud to have lived to be 50 but I do love hockey, I DO love the Canes and I'll stick around for as long as I can stomach it. I hate to see veterans like Melinda get so disgusted that they leave but she's a grown girl and she know's what's best for Melinda. I'll miss her but I may know where to find her :)

Melinda, you're absolutely right about the fairweather fans and stuff, but I think you might be taking it too far by leaving. Every fan base has its good fans, and its fairweather fans. While this board has its share of fairweather fans, there's also some really good fans here. Plus, I like a lot of the people here. You've just got to take the bad with the good. Perhaps you will change your mind soon.
I think your too late since she hasn't posted in this topic. Yea I agree with you gocanes88 100% even if i'm new...

Amen 97. Needless to say, I agree w/ Melinda is just about everything she said. The mods should be able to read and just delete useless threads that don't have anything to do with hockey, the Canes or Caniacs in general. I'll be the first to admit that I do drool over some of the players but it's just random kidding and I'd never act on it even if given the chance. These boards are just like real life...whenever you have two or more people, you're gonna have two or more opinions. It's like the old saying goes, opinions are like _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, everyone's got one. I've noticed that when I've mentioned my view on some of the message boards, I've been jumped on by a few. I wasn't trying to "compete" with a hockey know it all and I certainly was not trying to prove that mine was bigger than anyone else's. I, too, (brave vixen that I am) soon came to the conclusion that I would be very, very careful about what I typed. I also thought that "most" of us in here were adults. Sometimes I got the feeling like I was in "teen angst chat." Yeah, I'm showing my age but hey, I'm proud to have lived to be 50 but I do love hockey, I DO love the Canes and I'll stick around for as long as I can stomach it. I hate to see veterans like Melinda get so disgusted that they leave but she's a grown girl and she know's what's best for Melinda. I'll miss her but I may know where to find her :)

what am I missing here, what do you mean by useless threads? and in what topics?

I haven't seen a whole lot of useless threads here. Sure, there are duplicate threads, but that happens on any board. The mods do a good job of politely reminding the poster to refer to the existing thread. All other boards suffer from first-time posters that condemn all the regulars as (insult A) and that the team is (insult B). Lock. That's what mods are for on every board.

What I'd really love to see come to an end are the unnecessary replies to an otherwise great thread. Ummm....sayyyy...less cookies and cider crap. A lot less. It's embarrassing that the mods post their sappy collection of "smileys" while other boards are listing pre-game stats. I'm sure all that useless clutter is fun to some people, but it makes the boards crawl during game time. It's also really annoying to find 29 pages of nothing but inane drivel that should have been PM'ed to others rather than posts relating to the game.

"Welcome aboard! :P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P "

"OMG, I want a cookie!"

"Hi!"

"Hello!"

"I have cider!"

"I love Commmmodore cuz he iz mine! I"m off my medz, lolz!"

"lol rofl"

"What team are we playing again?"

"Who cares? I have cookies!"

/sigh

I haven't seen a whole lot of useless threads here. Sure, there are duplicate threads, but that happens on any board. The mods do a good job of politely reminding the poster to refer to the existing thread. All other boards suffer from first-time posters that condemn all the regulars as (insult A) and that the team is (insult B). Lock. That's what mods are for on every board.

What I'd really love to see come to an end are the unnecessary replies to an otherwise great thread. Ummm....sayyyy...less cookies and cider crap. A lot less. It's embarrassing that the mods post their sappy collection of "smileys" while other boards are listing pre-game stats. I'm sure all that useless clutter is fun to some people, but it makes the boards crawl during game time. It's also really annoying to find 29 pages of nothing but inane drivel that should have been PM'ed to others rather than posts relating to the game.

"OMG, I want a cookie!"

"Hi!"

"Hello!"

"I have cider!"

"lol rofl"

/sigh

The images take up next to no room. These boards get slow usually if 20 or more people are on.

"OMG, I want a cookie!"

"Hi!"

"Hello!"

"I have cider!"

"lol rofl"

/sigh

Wow... props to you for just coming out and saying that. I've got to admit, the quotes you put nearly made me fall out of my chair laughing. I like you guys, but let's face it... he has a point. :wink:

Oh. Yeah. God forbid that some people like to have a little fun AND talk about hockey in the same thread. You know what, if you don't enjoy the opening gameday posts like some people do on here, then don't read 'em. I post the basics of gametime, TV coverage or not & the such in the gameday predictions opening post (as well as in the gameday thread posts that you seem to hate), if that's what you're looking for & nothing else, & the opening post isn't what causes the boards to lag during the games anyway - as Marcus stated, it has to do w/ the amount of people on the boards at whatever time it's lagging. I do the opening gameday thread posts to put a smile on faces... if your face is not one of them then so be it. It's not your thing & I understand that, too. I'll stop doing it when: A) it's decided that the entire board of members hates it, or B) when I'm told not to do them anymore, & to just post the boring, run-of-the-mill basics for each game. Very simple. I hardly think that that's why Mel created this thread, though. That's very petty compared to alot of the "beefs" people have on here.

Gameday forums are about having fun and if your not having fun then well ya know....hit your power button on your pc then.

The topics elsewhere rarely get that bad and when they do....I stop reading that topic. Also it helps to keep a mental list of the posters you think dont have a clue what there talking about and just skip there posts.

For the record... I'm not against anything mentioned in the couple of posts above. I'm just saying that he has a point on some things. Don't want anyone to think I'm getting in the middle of it or anything.

Oh. Yeah. God forbid that some people like to have a little fun AND talk about hockey in the same thread.

I agree with Breakaway. I think it's good to have a blend of both the hockey talk and the fun but in the proper doses. Since this board has a stated mission which welcomes people to "talk hockey" then it's reasonable to have mostly hockey talk with some fun mixed in.

The game day forum should be buzzing before the game with good hockey talk and analysis of the upcoming game/opponent but it is mostly "fun" with occasional hockey talked mixed in. The wrong proportions in my opinion.

Maybe it can be split up into a game analysis and a fun & games section for future games. It's not even usually worth going there until after the game.

That's very petty compared to alot of the "beefs" people have on here.

I think promoting hockey talk clearly is a primary "beef" here.

Whenever I post a 3 stars and brief analysis for the games that I watch it will be on the front page long enough for 2 people to see it maybe.

Believe it or not some would like to see some hockey talk on a hockey board. I might be guilty of a few spammish joke posts, mostly concerning the caps, but I try to keep my comments relevant.

I wouldn't mind a few "boring" stats at the beginning of the gdt's. Might provide a little discussion material, who knows.

I would post the forum that has great overall coverage of all aspects of hockey but I think that's against the rules.

I was hoping to be the money post but i'll settle for 5 stars. :D