The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Done Deal, Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg

This is truly sad! All he wants to do is cut and run and doesn't care about the Thrasher fans or the team. The Canes and Predators kind of went through the growing pains in the beginning. BUT instead of their ownerships looking to cut bait and run, they reached out to the fans and community and built a relationship.

Lets compare two franchises going in different directions:

NASHVILLE PREDATORS:

October, 1998

The Nashville Predators defeated the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 to net the first victory in franchise history. Andrew Brunette notched the first goal in franchise history at 5:12 in the first period. (DID NOT KNOW THIS!)

When the Predators came to Nashville, they held clinics to teach fans about hockey. They built a relationship.

They hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2003.

They play in their first playoffs in 2004, play Red Wings in the first round. They lose in 6 games!

Original owner Leopold sells team to someone who KEPT THE TEAM IN NASHVILLE in 2007.

The Predators clinch their fourth consecutive playoff birth in 2008 and made the playoffs 6 of the last 7 seasons!

ATLANTA THRASHERS:

October, 1999

The Atlanta Thrashers defeated the New York Islanders 2-0 to net the first victory in franchise history.

I never heard if they tried to entice fans and the community to get behind the team, so I cannot comment on this.

They play in their first and only playoffs in 2007, play the Rangers in the first round. GOT SWEPT!

They hosted the NHL Entry Draft in 2008.

Original owner Ted Turner sold team to a group to keep the team in Atlanta that did not care about the team.

Now team is possibly being moved to Winnipeg in 2011?

Looks like it...

I'm betting the following changes happen:

1. Nashville moves to Eastern Conference, Southeast Division

2. Minnesota moves from Northwest Division to Central Division

3. New Northwest Division- Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Vancouver

Why the eyeroll smiley? This is an excellent move... besides its dedicated core group of fans (always loved seeing Blueland up here), the Thrashers got little to no support in Atlanta. Meanwhile, Winnipeg has been longing for an NHL team to return. We all know that Canada eats, sleeps, and breathes hockey. This is a completely legitimate move.

Looks like it...

I'm betting the following changes happen:

1. Nashville moves to Eastern Conference, Southeast Division

2. Minnesota moves from Northwest Division to Central Division

3. New Northwest Division- Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado, Vancouver

Agreed. That's the only logical solution.

And , of course, the denials.

http://blogs.ajc.com..._thrashers_blog

My guess is its a done deal but until all the details have been ironed out, the league won't officially announce it as a done deal. Not to mention the league has at least a moral obligation to allow time for the fans to at least state their case (in this case it'll be a rally on Saturday). I doubt it will have any bearing on the final decision but at least Gary Bettman will be able to say he gave the City of Atlanta and all the Thrasher supporters every possible chance to speak up and take action against the move.

I'm more inclined to believe the Toronto article and that this was already a done deal minus signing on the dotted line. Just like Bettman said in the article, there are too many moving pieces to put together to make this happen for the upcoming season for it to be decided at the 11th hour.

“Obviously, as it relates to next season, time is getting short,” he said. “We have to do a schedule. We’re doing a schedule with our broadcast partners; we have to have it done for clubs by the end of June. And it’s not something you can do in 28 or 48 hours.”

Well, done deal means done deal. And the deal is not done yet. I honestly don't understand everyone's need to jump on something like this...or anything else for that matter. Like one or two days for the actual deal to happen will make that much difference? The twitter effect has it's downsides. Without even looking I'm sure the Wiki dweebs have been at the Thrashers page too. Good grief.

I can't imagine this reporter doesn't have his story and sources correct. Of course until the deal is signed and announced by the NHL technically it isn't a done deal. But if it is true (I think it is) there is nothing more to wait for. Bettman should announce it or at least confirm negotiations are in the the final stages. Poor Thrasher fans.

I am pretty sure the NHL would prop the team up like they did with PHO until their financials are in order, Bettman has a track record of being patient in these situations, but this spirit group did themselves no favors today though.

That and the city of Atlanta said it can't support the team, Glendale has been actively throwing tax payer money at their situation.

Is this done deal enough for you JLP:

http://sports.yahoo...._winnipeg052011

How about Ben Eager's comments? Even if he has a point did he really need to take a swipe at the Thrasher fans? And would be saying the same thing if the Thrashers hadn't had enough of him and didn't trade him away?

“I think it’s great,” San Jose Sharks wingerBen Eager(notes) said earlier this week as the Thrashers-to-Winnipeg talk picked up steam. “They’ve been there long enough in Atlanta, and clearly people don’t like hockey there too much. Seven thousand people at games? It’s the National Hockey League.”

Why the eyeroll smiley?

It was more because of the attitude about it, like an in your face mentality, and forgetting that they lost the jets in the first place for a reason, a financial reason.

How about Ben Eager's comments? Even if he has a point did he really need to take a swipe at the Thrasher fans? And would be saying the same thing if the Thrashers hadn't had enough of him and didn't trade him away?

First part, deal might be done but until the NHL approves it then the overall process is only half done. We saw how much Bettman didn't like defeat in Phoenix and he's just going to roll over on Atlanta? I really doubt it.

Second, Ben's head is likely still spinning from the penalty box incident. Might take a few days before he can see straight again.

First part, deal might be done but until the NHL approves it then the overall process is only half done. We saw how much Bettman didn't like defeat in Phoenix and he's just going to roll over on Atlanta? I really doubt it.

Second, Ben's head is likely still spinning from the penalty box incident. Might take a few days before he can see straight again.

Now thats probably true :lol:

That and the city of Atlanta said it can't support the team, Glendale has been actively throwing tax payer money at their situation.

Yeah, at the time I made that comment I didn't realize how little support the team has gotten from the city itself.

Yeah, at the time I made that comment I didn't realize how little support the team has gotten from the city itself.

It's beyond sad but at the same time unlike most cities maybe they actually have their priorities in order and sports just isn't among them.

Can't imagine how mad non-hockey fans in Glendale are while footing the bill for a team they may not like.

http://sports.yahoo...._winnipeg052011

Thrashers fan here.

Ben Eager is insignifigant as far as Atlanta Thrashers hockey is concerned. He was a jerk when he was with us & he was not very good.

If any fledging fan base was treated by ownership in Atlanta, they would react in the same way.

Fortunately for the Canes, you have a good owner. I wish all the former SE division riveal well, nothing to gain by not doing so.

In the middle of the decade, we packed that building in the ATL. Ownership did everything to alienate its fan base including calling a season ticket holder a smart aXX.

Edited by TerribleT

With the Caps in D.C. and the Kitty Kats in Lauderdale, the lomgesr plane flight was between the two cities. With ATL moving to Winnipeg, that flight time between the cities goes to at least four hours (probably five). Back-to-back games within the conference were a pain. Now they become logistically improbable. If the team is to move a re-org of the league is needed.

I think the main difference between this and the Phoenix situation is the NHL doesn't own the Thrashers, so they can't control who it is sold too, and also the city of Glendale paid to keep the Yotes (at least for 1 more year), while Atlanta (the city, not the population) seems pretty much indifferent.

I wonder how happy the former Jets fans who are dancing in the streets will be when they realize the Thrashers will not become the Winnipeg Jets. Considering the Yotes are still the "Former Jets" and who is buying the team the Thrash will become the Manitoba Moose. How odd will that be for the Canucks as their former AHL team becomes a division rival.

I think the Nashville Predators would be the most obvious choice to add to the Eastern Conference, and even to plug the hole in the SE Div. The name i've heard batted around the most for a move is surprisingly the Columbus Blue Jackets, but apparently since they are in the eastern time zone already it would make the most sense for travel, game times, scheduling etc. Both Nashville and Columbus are in the Central division, so if one of them came over, you would only have to move 1 team, slip Manitoba into the Northwest, and then either Colorado or Minnesota can slip into the Central. Minnesota is already close to Detroit and Chicago geographically.

If Nashville comes over, they can slip right into the SE Div and then no teams have to move. If Columbus came over, I'm not sure they would want to be in the SE. Raleigh is probably not the geographic middle of the "division", but Washington is to the north, atlanta southwest and florida and tampa due south so we are in the middle. Columbus is about 500 miles from Raleigh, Philly is close to Washington, but 400 miles from Raleigh and further from the Florida teams, Pittsburgh is virtually the same distance from Raleigh as Columbus. I know the distance doesn't matter with airplanes, but still a question of who would join the division. I think Columbus would have to go into the Atlantic or SE, since the NE has the Canadian teams that obviously aren't going to move to the SE, and Boston which is further north than all the Atlantic teams. I would not want the Penguins in our division, although then the Pens/Caps rivalry would be even more bloodthirsty.

Here's an article from today's Toronto Globe and Mail about the Manitoba Moose moving to St Johns Newfoundland to accommodate the Thrashers move. Seems like everyone but Bettman is approaching this as "official".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/report-moose-on-the-move-to-st-johns/article2031005/

From what I have read, with True North buying the franchise they (ATL) will become the Manitoba Moose, so the AHL team will become the St Johns *Something*.. I wonder if they would stay the Canucks minor team, since that would move them about as far away from Vancouver as you can get. That would also mess up the AHL east and west teams, with there travel restrictions they would become east and someone would have to move to the west. Chicago is currently Atlanta's AHL team, but if True North continues to own both teams, they could become the Manitoba Moose and St Johns Moose and be affiliates with Chicago (or someone else) becoming the Vancouver affiliate.

So if the Thrashers move to Winnipeg and become the Moose, who will the Canes play in Charlotte on September 25? The obvious draw of that game is that Charlotte is pretty much half way between Raleigh and Atlanta. That would make it easy for fans in all three cities to drive to the game and back home in one day (albeit a long one for some). But with Winnipeg, the logistics are a bit different. Maybe the object of the game is to get Charlotte folks interested and the Thrashers/Moose fans aren't a factor.

Done means done, not mostly, probably, inevitably...oh, whatever, I'm wasting my breath...

Here's my favorite story out of this whole debacle: Jeff Schultz: Bettman wants to make Thrashers’ sale hurt for Spirit, from the AJC of course. Bring the pain Gary, they deserve it.

When the BoG votes, it's done. Probably some time late next week.

From a competition standpoint I hope they move CBJ, but NSH makes more sense.

Oh yeah...Ben Eager...class act all the way.

Edited by JLP

Some Thrasher fans aren't letting the team slip silently away. They held a rally today in an attempt to let their feeling known.

Yahoo Sports had this to say.