The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Done Deal, Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg

What's even more amazing is they had a select a seat day and apparently some were buying tickets. One sad part in all this is the fans really don't get a chance to say goodbye. I remember a picture of a little kid in Phoenix crying at the last playoff game thinking it might be the last one. The Atlanta kids and their parents won't get to say goodbye.

and thats another thing Owners need to vote on. You have to announce your moving the team before January 1 of the year is what I read unless the owners overturn that rule. ATL could still spend another year in ATL.

and thats another thing Owners need to vote on. You have to announce your moving the team before January 1 of the year is what I read unless the owners overturn that rule. ATL could still spend another year in ATL.

I bet there's an 'out clause(sp)' somewhere in the fine print for situations like this where the current owners don't give a crap about the fans, the team and the city. Its probably better for the league overall to get the team out from under the current ownership and into new hands to avoid bigger problems and bad PR knowing the team is going to be relocated regardless.

TerribleT, I feel for you and the Thrasher fans. You haven't been treated right from the start and its a shame the whole mess is being blamed in the media on only attendance issues. I've been to several games in Atlanta including the All Star weekend and felt like you guys had a good thing going if the team could just make its mark. I'll never understand how Don Waddell kept his job so long there. What concerns me most is that the youth hockey program that was really growing in Atlanta will probably take a big hit from this.

The Thrasher fans road crew have been great visitors in our arena over the past few years, they cheered loud for their team and were always respectful. I hope they come back to Raleigh for some hockey games, they'll always be welcome here.

I see a lot of sympathy here for the Thrasher fans who are about to lose their team. I wonder how many 'canes fans give any thought to the Whaler fans who lost their team so you could have yours?

I see a lot of sympathy here for the Thrasher fans who are about to lose their team. I wonder how many 'canes fans give any thought to the Whaler fans who lost their team so you could have yours?

I can only speak for myself. I agree there is a certain amount of irony in our support for Thrasher fans given that our franchise moved from Hartford. I do think the circumstances were different but the result was the same. Many of our fan base including myself have a soft spot and respect for the Whaler history. I think we all understand our good fortune was at the expense of Hartford's misfortune.

I don't see anyone trashing Winnipeg for wanting or getting another chance at an NHL franchise. If it happens so be it. But Atlanta is our closest geographic rival. Many fans from both teams enjoy games at each others arena. Atlanta is a major sports market and a viable team in this market would be good for both the southeast conference and hockey.

It is also quite apparent that the current Thrasher ownership never wanted the team. Instead of building a winning franchise and encouraging new fan support they took the path of allowing the franchise to fail while attempting to sell it. In effect I think the Thrasher fans got a raw deal.

I would also support Hartford and Quebec City getting another chance at an NHL team. Unfortunately this will probable mean some other franchise city will lose their team. It doesn't change the fact that it is painful for fans to lose their team and I think we are close enough to Atlanta to feel for them and to support them.

I am glad for now that we seem to have a team (The Hurricanes) that is committed to the Raleigh area and willing to help the team, fan base and city grow. I'm not willing to give the Hurricanes back ..

I hope the Whale (a new franchise)can skate again in Hartford. It would be a great rivalry between us.

Edited by OBXer

A lot of Whalers fans still cheer for the team and franchise, and we welcome them here. It stinks a team has to move for whatever reasons.

I have no sympathy for the ones burning the Jets memorabilia, they are not supporting their city but rather blaming another city. And in the process blaming a team that no longer exists and will not exist again, since Atlanta will not become the Winnipeg Jets.

As a former Charlotte Hornets fan I can sympathize with some of them. People look at bad attendance, but why would you show up when your owner/GM is flipping the bird to the city and the fans. The Hornets moved due to "poor attendance, poor support, city refused to replace a 3 year old stadium etc etc" but of course the owner basically told the whole city to go pound sand.

"Many of our fan base including myself have a soft spot and respect for the Whaler history. I think we all understand our good fortune was at the expense of Hartford's misfortune."

That's good to hear. I live in CT, and I would love to have another NHL team here, although I doubt it will happen.

"A lot of Whalers fans still cheer for the team and franchise, and we welcome them here."

I often wondered what it would be like to go to a Hurricanes home game in my Whaler gear...although the thought of giving money to Karmanos would make me heave.

I often wondered what it would be like to go to a Hurricanes home game in my Whaler gear...although the thought of giving money to Karmanos would make me heave.

Hold your nose, pay your money and come and enjoy hockey in your Whaler sweater.

Just reiterating what's mostly been said....

Most Canes fans that I know understand and empathize with the frustration and anger of the Whaler fans. We have several Whaler fans here as members including one of our own long time Admins, and we've always welcomed Whaler fans that still follow the team. The only issues we've ever had were with those that came here only to blame the Canes fans for losing their team and tried to punish us with insulting or offensive posts. Thankfully we haven't seen any of those folks for a long time.

If I was able to offer a suggestion to the Thrasher fans, be angry and disappointed with the ownership group or even the league but don't be angry with the fans in Winnipeg. They had nothing to do with all that lead up to losing your team, they just happened to be the lucky benefactors of your misfortune.

There are plenty of Whaler jerseys in the crowd at the RBC Center and besides, there's always room in Caniac Nation for some new fans ;)

"Hold your nose, pay your money and come and enjoy hockey in your Whaler sweater."

LOL, thanks for the invite, but it's a long trip just for a hockey game... but if I'm ever in the area during hockey season, I'll make it a point to go to a game. And yes, I'll be in Whaler colors!

often wondered what it would be like to go to a Hurricanes home game in my Whaler gear...although the thought of giving money to Karmanos would make me heave.

a number of fans come in their Whaler gear; some so well worn it cannot be a replica

I would venture we'd play the Moose, man what a lame name.

We have an agreement and I woulda kinda assume that agreement would transfer over. However it might not because I'm sure neither team wants to spend money in traveling during camp which would take away from camp with travel time plus travel expenses. So yea I am arguing with myself. Maybe Nashville haha

Edited by legend-1

However it might not because I'm sure neither team wants to spend money in traveling during camp which would take away from camp with travel time plus travel expenses.

:dizzy:

Also, what is the plural of Moose?

Edited by coastal_caniac

:dizzy:

a lot of Moose

many Moose

more than one Moose

Just say No to Moose :jester:

Edited by OBXer

My concern is mostly that supposedly it's 'too late' for reorganization this year.. if Atlanta moves, then the first season of Winnipeg hockey would still be played in the Southeast. This is simply unacceptable, and would drastically impact the chances of every other team in the division.

It would be hypocritical of me to bemoan the fate of Atlanta.. certainly I enjoyed several visits there, and the attraction of NHL/NFL/NBA all in one long weekend was really special. But we received a franchise over the wailing of Whaler fans, so who am I to judge?

I am confused as to why "hockey-mad" Winnipeg built such a tiny arena as an attraction to a future NHL franchise. If their fans have learned their lesson from the last time, and show up in better numbers, they might sell it out routinely, but in so doing the owners have left a lot of cash on the table.

It looks like the Thrasher deal could be delayed until next week according to a story in The Vancouver Sun.

If I was an Atlanta fan I'm not sure if I wouldn't just want to get this over with. It must be like waiting for the

other shoe to drop.

I hate it for Atlanta hockey fans, even though they didnt win alot, it still means the world to have youre own team to support,if we ever lost the Canes, I would be literally sick to my stomach for a long time

"Southern Hockey" has always been under attack ,and I just heard someone on NHL live say that theres a well funded group in Canada trying to move has many teams to canada has possible, thankfully us and Tampa have our names on the stanley cup,and our recent All-Star game proves how dedicated and knowledgable our fanbase has become, so I think we dont have anything to worry about,we do need to hire a coach that can get us to the playoffs more than once every 3 or 4 seasons though!!!!!!!,you hear that mo,we had a playoff team this year,just not a playoff coaching staff

I think if this does happen,the NHL might consider switching the Preds to the southeast division and letting Winnepeg take there place in there former division,wich would be cool with me,the Preds would be a great rival

Edited by Carolinafan85

someone on NHL live say that theres a well funded group in Canada trying to move has many teams to canada has possible

Well geez then lets just give them all 24 American teams and have the league be called the "CHL" since obviously they don't take too kindly of us americans enjoying the game too :rolleyes:

a lot of Moose

many Moose

more than one Moose

Just say No to Moose :jester:

Meeses??? :coollaugh:

As far as reworking the divisions, I think Nashville will come over to the SouthEast, Colorado to the Central, and Winnipeg to the NorthWest. (Based on travel distances, this seems to make sense to me)

So the they would look like this:

South East

Washington

Carolina

Nashville

Tampa Bay

Florida

Central

Detroit

Chicago

Colorado

St. Louis

Columbus

North West

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Calgary

Minnesota

Edmonton

Edited by hopper915

I hate it for Atlanta hockey fans, even though they didnt win alot, it still means the world to have youre own team to support,if we ever lost the Canes, I would be literally sick to my stomach for a long time

"Southern Hockey" has always been under attack ,and I just heard someone on NHL live say that theres a well funded group in Canada trying to move has many teams to canada has possible, thankfully us and Tampa have our names on the stanley cup,and our recent All-Star game proves how dedicated and knowledgable our fanbase has become, so I think we dont have anything to worry about,we do need to hire a coach that can get us to the playoffs more than once every 3 or 4 seasons though!!!!!!!,you hear that mo,we had a playoff team this year,just not a playoff coaching staff

I think if this does happen,the NHL might consider switching the Preds to the southeast division and letting Winnepeg take there place in there former division,wich would be cool with me,the Preds would be a great rival

What I think is so funny about the anti-expansion and anti-southern hockey people, is they seem to forget the league started with only 6 teams. A 6 team league would not survive in today's sports juggernaut. There are more Canadian teams now then they started with, Toronto and Montreal were the first two. Could you wittle a few teams away, sure you probably could.. but no Philly? No Pittsburgh? No Washington? No Vancouver? If you wanted to hand pick a league of say, 12 teams in the Northeast and Midwest - NY, NJ, Chicago, Detroit, Boston, Philly, Pittsburgh, Eastern Canada etc.. would the league be as popular as it is now? No way.

Tampa certainly doesn't have anything to worry about. They came up short this year, but with the talent on that team and a phenomenal young coach in Guy Boucher they will hoist the cup again in a couple of years.

Washington obviously would not be going anywhere, with Ovechtrick and several nasty rivalries between Boston and Pittsburgh.

Carolina is welded to the Raleigh soil and nothing is ever going to change that. A loud and proud and loyal fanbase, which All Star weekend only proved further, plus our name on the Grail.

Florida might be troublesome.. I don't think they draw much of a crowd, but they hold their own and have had talented teams in the past.

I was thinking along the same lines as Hopper, makes the minimum amount of moves, although they keep saying Columbus will come over, so they will figure out a way to screw that up and move 10 teams when they don't have to. And the talk of leaving Manitoba/Winnipeg in the Southeast for a year is ridiculous. The NHL has already said they want to make it "hurt" for the Atlanta Spirit, but are they trying to punish True North as well by making them pay 5 times as much in travel costs as any other team in the league? I know the schedules have to be worked out years in advance, but isn't that what you have schedule makers for? They can figure it out.

As far as "Southern Hockey" All you have to do is look at the past 11 years of Stanley Cup Champions. 4 have come out of non-traditional regions.

Dallas- 1999

Tampa Bay- 2004

Carolina- 2006

Anaheim- 2007

And lets not forget the runner-ups:

Dallas- 2000

Carolina- 2002

Anaheim- 2003

Things could have been done different in Atlanta that could have made them more viable. But the losses of key superstars (Kovalchuk and Heatley to name two) plus mismanagement of coaches, GMs, and other players, it is almost like when Atlanta owners got the Thrashers, they went in with a lackadaisical attitude. Carolina, Tampa and Nashville all built foundations that have been solid in each team's history.

I really feel sorry for their fans. It reminded me of how things started here, with good ole Chopper Harrison sitting on top of then ESA trying to get fans to buy tickets and come to games and the morning after interviews with Maurice on the radio are timeless. I really liked seeing their fans in the RBC Center cheering their team on! Plus their jerseys were pretty kewl!

Edited by hopper915

I kept seeing Anson Carter's name pop up on the Thrasher site and was wondering what his involvement was, according to Wkipedia: "Carter, who is now living in Atlanta, Georgia, has been mentioned to be part of a group who is making enquiries about buying the Atlanta Thrashers." Also heard Tom Glavine was part of a last ditch effort to save the team.

I believe it's Meese. Yes, Meese is the correct answer...

So, if Manitoba does get the organization I predict that Moose Hedberg will be signed to a life long contract so they can use him as a selling point: "Come see the Moose and the Moose (or Meese)."

:groupwave: