The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Done Deal, Thrashers are moving to Winnipeg

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the alignment debate, Nashville would become the only Eastern team out of the Eastern timezone.

Shouldn't be an issue, but is it fair for only one team to have to deal with that? I could see the Bluejackets entering the debate with that in mind. But put them where...move them with who...still who goes in the Southeast....

Edited by legend-1

Yeah that might not seem like a problem at first, but when our games and the rest of the eastern conference games start at 7/7:30, you're possibly looking at lower TV ratings for them. Lord knows Columbus and Detroit fans probably don't like having a lot of 8/9/10 pm starts in their TV territory, Columbus especially.

Yeah that might not seem like a problem at first, but when our games and the rest of the eastern conference games start at 7/7:30, you're possibly looking at lower TV ratings for them. Lord knows Columbus and Detroit fans probably don't like having a lot of 8/9/10 pm starts in their TV territory, Columbus especially.

Detroit fans in the tsn comment sections of every winnipeg article have made it very clear their sick of 10 o clock games. Problem is...can you take a further west team and put them in the east over the Jackets? But the amount of people you'd get watching 7 o clock games with the Wings in the East would be massive. Could help ratings possibly and it brings some competition back to the East which maybe the conferences are 50-50 in cups but the West obviously is stronger and has been stronger.

Edited by legend-1

My issue w/ Columbus has more to do with their name, after the UNION army in the American Civil War/War Between the States in a division of teams from the South. Besides, one must drive almost through Nashville to get to the SE division teams.

Just to throw a monkey wrench in the alignment debate, Nashville would become the only Eastern team out of the Eastern timezone.

Shouldn't be an issue, but is it fair for only one team to have to deal with that? I could see the Bluejackets entering the debate with that in mind. But put them where...move them with who...still who goes in the Southeast....

monkeywrenchicon002.jpg

I tried to post the image, but wouldn't let me. Stupid post-number restrictions, when I have many posts in the Thrashers sister forum . . .

My issue w/ Columbus has more to do with their name, after the UNION army in the American Civil War/War Between the States in a division of teams from the South. Besides, one must drive almost through Nashville to get to the SE division teams.

So we'll call it the Civil War rivalry. I don't see many people being offended and if they were they would have shown offense to it when they originally came out.

It's more the name and SE division. I had fun with that during Thrashers-Blue Jackets games, esp. w/ friends in Columbus.

Obscure trivia: When Atlanta got the franchise that became the Flames, the NHL heads wanted then to adopt gray as the color, name it the Rebels, and pay a bugler to play "Dixie" during the games. Atlanta said: "No way in hell." Then, they adopted the Flames name (part of a name-the-team contest were Thrashers was the next highest choice), which had actually been part of the original pitch to get the team.

The adopted a RED jersey . . .

You could get around it by agreeing that when Nashville plays in the eastern time zoan games start at 8p (7ct) and when we play in Nashville games start at 7p (8et).

http://2.bp.blogspot...ch+icon+002.bmp

I tried to post the image, but wouldn't let me. Stupid post-number restrictions, when I have many posts in the Thrashers sister forum . . .

Its not a post restriction, I tried to post it for you but it wouldn't take that format. Fixed ;)

Here's a temporary avatar for all you new ThrasherCane fans. At least until someone comes up with something better :)

f_unread-1-4.pngf_unread-1-5.png

WOW!

That was fast.

As for the logo, it's OK. But, I think the "bat-bird" with the oval on top would be better. I like that one better. If you do that, I'll put it in the sig.

As for the name for Thrasher refugees in Caneville, I've though of several:

TharsherCanes

CaneThrashers (sounds too much like someone thrashing a cane, not what would be intended)

ThrashCane

CaneBirds

I like CaneBirds best, as it is a bird on the midst of the Canes. That's what we are and it's still respectful to both clubs/fan groups.

Could the CaneBird emblem be put wear you have the Canes logo? Or is that only for mods (part of the group indicators)?

Thanks.

As soon as I am able to include a sig, that will be in it. As for Avatar, it will be a Flames logo- in honor of the "old-time" Atlanta hockey and for my father.

(Only one more post for today and I hit max limit. Yet, still many more to go before "full" membership and post restrictions are gone.)

Edit (to save a post for later tonight):

It says:

Lines allowed: O

Restrictions will be lifted in 8 posts.

(or something of the like)

Thanks for doing it for me.

I might even do that on a real jersey, just for kicks. I wonder which would be the best base? The patches are available on ebay.

OK, I've exceeded my post for the day and have decided to make that jersey. I have a Thrasher's bat-bird patch that is 12" wingspan and a 13" length.

Now, I need a Hurricanes jersey about 7" across the storm. If you have one for me, let me know. All the one's I've seen are 4" or 12" which is either proportionally too small or large. If you have one about the right size, PM me and we can work something out.

Edited by TartanJack

Thanks.

As soon as I am able to include a sig, that will be in it. As for Avatar, it will be a Flames logo- in honor of the "old-time" Atlanta hockey and for my father.

Are you having trouble adding the sig? Fixed for you :)

how many of the Thrashers are UFAs and would the move to the frozem tundra krrp them from resigning with the team? are there any the Canes should snag?

Edited by colliefan

Here is a list of their RFAs and UFAs and their position/age/salaries from 2010

2011 Restricted Free Agents

Zach Bogosian D 20 3,375,000

Andrew Ladd F 24 2,350,000

Blake Wheeler F 24 2,200,000

Spencer Machacek F 22 858,333

Ben Maxwell F 23 850,000

Riley Holzapfel F 22 821,667

Rob Schremp F 24 750,750

Anthony Stewart F 26 632,500

Andrew Kozek F 24 531,250

Brett Festerling D 25 525,000

Arturs Kulda D 22 516,667

Ian McKenzie F 23 508,333

UFAs

Jason Krog 34 $550,000

Donald Brashear 38 $1,400,000

Eric Boulton 33 $650,000

Radek Dvorak 33 $1,700,000

Brent Sopel 33 $2,333,000

Edited by hopper915

Bogo is a pretty decent defenseman. His best asset though is his connection to the community outreach groups. He is a favorite among the Thrash fans.

That said, he has been inconsistent, which I've chalked up to the situation of constantly changing coaches, and the crappy ownership. When he's good, he's REALLY good.

The best one on the list is Ladd. I think Whineypeg wants to keep him. I would LOVE to see him in red!

Edited by TartanJack

Hey TartanJack, tell me if this sounds right: I always assumed that the Atlanta Flames name came from Sherman's rampage through the south in which he ordered all the major cities, including Atlanta, to be burned to the ground in his wake. Is this correct?

From Jim Huber & Tom Saladino's book "The Babes of Winter: The Inside History of Atlanta Flames Hockey" (1975), page 21:

The name the team contest had over 10,000 entries, with "over 2,000 different names. There were 365 Thrashers, 162 Eagles, and 101 votes for Phoenix. There were also 19 Scarlletts, nine Grits, eight Taras, five Rhetts, and four votes for Aardvark."

2 paragraphs later is this one:

"The hockey people wanted to name the team the Rebels, outfit them in grey and red uniforms, and station a bugler somewhere in the stands to play a rousing "Dixie" every time the team needed help.

"'I'm told told that wouldn't exactly work down here anymore," said Fletcher, who was learning more every day."

(P. 21)

Fletcher was George Glifford Fletcher was the general manager who "had grown up in the Montreal Canadiens organization, scouted and managed the club's junior team, and had become almost a son to Montreal general manager Sam Pollock, the man known throughout the league as "the Godfather." Fletcher had worked hard and had studied every move Pollock made." (p. 17)

The official winner of the name-the-team contest was 19 year old Mickey Goodman, who gave what became the official reason:

"it signified a city rising out of the flames and ashes of a civil war to become whole again."

My father laughed when he remember that and said the name "Flames" had the in-tract line, as it was the one used in the original pitch to the NHL and had notable publicity before the contest. The reason, though, was good and perfect for Atlanta, esp. at the time.

My father was the graphic designer, just out of college at the time, who worked for MacDonald and Little, the ad agency with the account to market the new team. In fact, he is pictured on page 20 with the copy writer and the 2 agency principles Mike MacDonald and Tom Little themselves:

FlamesProposal.jpg

The ad-men are on the left, the writer is sitting down and my father is the one standing on the right. He now has a framed copy of that on his desk (copied from the book) that reminds him of the "old days" that he likes to compare and contrast to the industry today (owns his own identity and branding firm).

He designed the Hawks logo on the bottom (hi first professional logo) and the Flames (his second and still his personal favorite has has EVER done, which includes the Tampa Bay Rowdies, both Cox logos, the Turner Sports T (originally supposed to be the Turner corporate logo), the original Edward's Pie logo, the "classic" silver Hayes computer logo and packaging, and much more.

The 2 top papers were studies on other alternate ways of doing the logo.

THAT is why the Flames logo is "uniquely special" to me . . .

Oh, and the Flames A incorporates:

A

3 Flames (2 positive space and one negative space between and below them)

Hockey goal (overal shape-> open end to right)

Hockey stick (left side slant)

Crouched "face off" silhouette (overall ahape)

the front edge of a skate blade (bottom of right side, bottom edge of "A")

See it all?

(And, yes, many, many hours were spent tying to get all that in there and reshaping/redrawing it to be just right)

atlfla73.gif

He has the original pencil and marker on hard board drawings in his office. Those were copied and reproduced as THE logos for both teams. I've been pushing him (for years) to get the framed . . .

Still not happened.

Edit: Oh and the room they are in for the staged photo had cork walls, and stuck something awful, he tells me.

Edited by TartanJack

With that post, I nominate TartanJack for the board "Calder Trophy". As an upstart graphic designer, I found that to be very interesting. Thanks man!

He's gotta get through the entire season first, keep up his pace and then deal with being a good poster on a small market board. Such as when Skinner get's screwed over here soon which I just feel happening.