The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
AWACSooner

What's it gonna take for these guys to start playing some Defense?

With the exception of the shutout by Toronto...EVERY SINGLE GAME this month has been a one-goal game...most of them in the L column. Most of them see our guys fall into a hole only to battle back and come up just short...pretty much entirely due to a lack of defense. Take tonight for example: Timmy wasn't hitting anyone...Joe C got completely pwn3d on the Kovy goal...it was downright atrocious all around.

What's it gonna take for these guys to wake up and start playing defense? Can pull the trigger and make a few trades here and there? What do y'all think?

What's it gonna take for these guys to wake up and start playing defense?

put lead weights on their skates so they will defend their crease?

I'd rather they play fire sale panic hockey, like they do when down by 2/3 goals late in the game.

This squad won't win many games with defense. They need to run and gun. BUT...that only works with a fresh hot goalie. Cam is neither right now.

Canes lead the league in 1 goal losses this season with 20!

The Canes have absolutely no identity on defense. (really none on offense either but this is a defense thread) In last nites game (NJ) with Ian out that is probably the worse they have looked all year. I don't needs to go any farther as to how I feel about Pits. McBain is just terrible,he plays with no edge what so ever. Gleason has been held back from his good physical play.Corvo has actually been playing pretty well. Ian has also been consistent. Carson hasn't got much ice time when brought up. Harrison also has had a decent year. With all this said they (defense) are mediocre at best. To me its looking like a coaching change may have to be made. The coaching staff seems to have lost the team. I'm not saying that Mo/Rom/Tom isn't saying and teaching the right things but I'm not sure the team listens and does to what they say. If they aren't willing to listen,,something has to change,either coaches or players..Plus the fact that the centers and wingers aren't helping on defense at all!! And our last like of defense (Cam) has looked like a piece of swiss cheese lately!!

Man, I get frustrated when I watch them play. I don't understand the lack of competitiveness. I can't see why all of them wouldn't skate every shift as hard as possible. Especially on defense. Just because they may be a better skilled player on paper, doesn't mean they deserve a roster spot. I reminisce about when the River Rats came up and gave this team a kick in the *edit* with their energetic and competitive play. Skate hard every shift and out-compete the other team. It will spark Cam too, to see his team playing so hard in front of him. Move it or lose it.

The best hockey the Canes played ALL of last season, was late in the year when several regulars were injured, and Boychuk, Samson, Dalpe, Mcbain, etc were brought up for an extended visit. The Canes went on their best roll of the season It was no coincidence.

I'd rather they play fire sale panic hockey, like they do when down by 2/3 goals late in the game.

This squad won't win many games with defense. They need to run and gun. BUT...that only works with a fresh hot goalie. Cam is neither right now.

Canes lead the league in 1 goal losses this season with 20!

I agree BK. I don't know why the team has played this shell hockey for the last month, trying to scratch out these defensive wins. Mo certainly says he doesn't want them to play this way.

They're at their best playing fast, hitting on the fly, and taking offensive chances and risk. I think I read a stat that the Canes have only won something like 2 or 3 games in regulation this season when scoring 3 goals or less. So why does the team play like they're looking for a 2-1 win?

Win the game 5-3 or lose it 4-6 ... that would be far preferred to some of the dreck seen lately.

Ok, I have to ask: WHERE WAS LAST NIGHT ALL SEASON? Sure the PP sucked majorly, but the hits finally came, the blocks were happening, and it looked like some defense finally.