The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dukefan711

Bobby Sanguinetti

What is the latest news on Bobby Sanguinetti's injury, and how much longer it may keep him out? Do you see him making it to the Hurricanes' for some games later this season, or is he more of a depth guy? Since Ian White has been traded, I have been very interested in Sanguinetti and what he might bring to the table in the future because I have not seen him play in person.

Sanguinetti is out for the season. Personally I see him in the AHL for at least another season with maybe a call-up or two, had he not suffered an injury he may have gotten a call-up this season. He's a big guy that hits hard and skates fast. It was a nice pick-up from JR.

Well I guess his injury wasn't as bad as everyone thought it was. Happy to have him back but I'm hoping the medical staff and coaches know what they are doing.

Player Spotlight – Bobby Sanguinetti

Defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti made his return to the lineup on March 16 in Bridgeport. Acquired by the Hurricanes from the New York Rangers this off-season, the 23-year-old blue-liner missed 47 games because of surgery to repair a small tear in his hip labrum.

After playing through pain for about a month, Sanguinetti said he decided get it checked out.

sanguinetti121510_storythumb.jpg

“It was tough, the last couple of games,” he said. “Skating was a battle. I have less pain now, that’s for sure.”

Missing games still was a disappointing blow to Sanguinetti’s season, especially considering he was playing his best hockey of the year.

“You watch games and you want to be out there helping your team as much as possible,” he said. “And you always want to have a good year on the ice, so it was a tough decision, but it had to be done.”

“He brings a different element to our team,” Daniels said. “With the exception of Bryan Rodney, the other guys are more defensive-minded, and Bobby brings that offensive component to our lineup.”

With Charlotte particularly thin in depth on defense, especially after losing Brett Carson on waivers to Calgary, having Sanguinetti back is crucial. And it couldn’t come at a better time, as the Checkers make a final push toward the playoffs.

That said, the Charlotte coaching staff doesn’t want to rush him back into the lineup. Last week, during a stretch of four games in five days, Sanguinetti played in three of those games, getting a day of rest in between each.

“It’s not easy just jumping in, especially this time of year with the other players that have top-end speed and conditioning,” Daniels said. “We want to use him wisely and not kill him the first week back.”

“Your body can only heal so fast, so I just had to let that take its own path,” Sanguinetti said. “But when I could control things, I did everything I could to get back on the ice.”

Sanguinetti’s last game before his surgery was on November 16 vs. Adirondack, a 4-3 overtime win for the Checkers. The winning goal came off the stick of Sanguinetti, his second tally in as many games at the time.

“He has the vision, the patience with the puck, that offensive-side – and all that hasn’t left him over the past four months,” Daniels said. “It’s just something he has to put in game situations, and so far he’s handled that well.”

Four games into his return, Sanguinetti has already factored in on the scoresheet, notching an assist in Wilkes-Barre on Sunday. He is also seeing some time on the second power-play unit, according to Daniels.

“I feel pretty good. I’ve got a great range of motion coming off the surgery,” Sanguinetti said. “I feel great on the ice, and now it’s just a matter of getting my reads and timing right to get back to where I was before the injury.”