The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Cory Stillman to Carolina for Ryan Carter and 5th rounder

I still don't see him on the top line. I really thought we had a decent top line going with Juice - Staal - Cole.

I can see Stillman bumping LaRose out of the top 6, though... if he doesn't throw out his back in the first game.

Agree, but knowing Mo I'm sure he'll get a couple of looks at Staal and Cole every game. Not so sure what he will bring to the PP though. Can't hurt, that's for sure.

Speaking of that deal, Rutherford said that the second-round pick that was acquired from San Jose along with Derek Joslin in exchange for White could be used to bolster the team’s defense prior to Monday’s trade deadline.

Not what I hoped for but interesting enough to see how it pans out, if Cory stays healthy enough. I guess that move sends Samson packing, Samson-ov to the fourth line permanently unless JR isn't done dealing yet and gives Mo another excuse to play more tic-tac-toe with the depth chart.

Mo's stated on several occasions recently he likes the Samsonov-Sutter-Tlusty line. I wonder if he will keep that line intact and send Larose to the fourth line.

Want Sampson have to clear waivers to go back to Charlotte?

Looking at this quote makes me wonder if this is why JR goes after former Canes so much. It's pretty well known that most of our players, both past and present love Raleigh and their teammates here.

We never really get the inside scoop of what players he's always interested in getting but never gets. And I wonder if those that don't come here ever tell him something like "I really don't want to play there".

Well, here's a tip...I couldn't remember earlier why I was thinking of Stillman the other day...but then I remembered, his son plays on the Jr. Canes, so his family must still live here. Knowing that makes this much less surprising. Known character and chemistry does go a long way, too.

Who is next to return? Mike Commodore?

He'd have to clear recall waivers first...which probably wouldn't be a problem...which is why that won't happen. Still two more years on that albatross of a contract.

Want Sampson have to clear waivers to go back to Charlotte?

I think he is waiver exempt because of age and/or NHL games played. Boychuk and Dalpe were emergency recalls and had to go back with Joni coming back and Joslin being an extra D-man.

kahuna u always seem negative, is any move going to make u happy??? god, stillman isnt who he was, but we arent getting mark staal .... i still think we get rid of maybe 1st rounder and one of young kids for a decent dman, but sure u wont like that either

I think he is waiver exempt because of age and/or NHL games played. Boychuk and Dalpe were emergency recalls and had to go back with Joni coming back and Joslin being an extra D-man.

Nope, just confirmed it. He is not exempt from waivers, so he could be claimed. Wouldn't be surprised if the Canes carry him rather than send him back to Charlotte. But, I could be wrong.

Nope, just confirmed it. He is not exempt from waivers, so he could be claimed. Wouldn't be surprised if the Canes carry him rather than send him back to Charlotte. But, I could be wrong.

Hope JR carries him too. Would be a shame to see him get grabbed up. On the other hand, if another forward is part of a trade along with Joslin and the 2rd rounder...he wouldn't have to go back.

He'd have to clear recall waivers first...which probably wouldn't be a problem...which is why that won't happen. Still two more years on that albatross of a contract.

Ya know up until this Stillman deal and a little bit before that...I'd buy sanity/good reasoning :) But I think the only good fit for a JR trade would be finding a way to get Commie here.

/joking

Stiller is a cerebral player who sees the ice very well, and pass very well. He can be a sniper. He will be a good veteran presence in the locker room. He can help on the PP. Has chemistry with Staal and Cole.

He is not as fast as our team has become--------but people have always underestimated him, as I recall. Remember in 2006

we got two "older" vets in Recci and Weight---who helped us a lot. So this may not be such a bad move. He is a free agent

at the end of this season. I liked Carter because of his size on the fourth line, but Mo doesn't play the fourth line as much as

most of us would like anyway. A fifth round pick is not trading away our future. The way I see this is that it can't hurt us, and

if it increases our scoring potiential then it will be a good move ! Welcome back, Cory !

But I agree with other posters, unless we shore up the back-end, I think the play off picture will dim. (We still have to play the

Slugs three times and the schedule for the rest of the season is no cake-walk.)

GO CANES !!

Edited by UNCCaniac8

I remember Stillman scoring a goal from the red line - faking the goalie into thinking he was dumping the puck, to draw him out of the crease and then blasting it all the way into a vacant net... amazing. :dance:

I remember Stillman scoring a goal from the red line - faking the goalie into thinking he was dumping the puck, to draw him out of the crease and then blasting it all the way into a vacant net... amazing. :dance:

That was Vokoun, ironically the goalie in Florida.

We are giving up Ryan Carter and a fifth.. I guess they are cool with Dwyer as the 4th line center

Yes they are. JR specifically said so in an interview tonight.

That was Vokoun, ironically the goalie in Florida.

Very memorable. Awesome smarts.

I'm glad I can say it again. S-t-i-l-l-m-a-n!

Like the Stillman move. Yeah they recycled again, but he came cheap, knows the players, can run the PP, etc. Now if we could add a real solid defenseman similar to Gleason we'd be set for this season.

Stillman is a slightly better skater than Ray Sheppard.

I hope like hell he retires this summer. If Rutherford offers him a contract, I'm going to tear up some stuff.

This is only part one of the "going green recycling deadline deals".

Justin Williams will again be a Cane by Monday.

! remember that one well! Another one of his goals I remember was from the 06 playoffs where from one side of the goal he lobbed the puck over the goal and skated around to finish the wrap around. Like a self assist!

Funny you should mention Willie. JR was on 99.9 today with Adam and Joe. Adam started off the interview jokingly asking JR about the whole recycling thing, and recounted the advice he gave to someone with a #11 Canes sweater and he told them to "hang on to it! Don't get rid of it! There's still time!" to which JR responded (paraphrasing), "well I can't speak about other players... but he is unrestricted at the end of this season."

:shock: LOL :lol:

I like the Stiller trade. Low risk, possible high reward. We know what he's capable of, this is his home, he's familiar with the core of the team, and his kind of hockey smarts don't fade away. The only concerns are obviously his health and his speed. Though, I am a little disappointed to see Carter go, he was a solid, reliable player. Bottom line, this trade improves the team.

Best of luck to Carter. Welcome home, SA.

Honestly... I wouldn't mind seeing Williams back, if he can stay healthy. He was one of a few that wasn't afraid to get in front of the goalie AND STAY THERE!!!!

Concerning Stillman, glad he's back for the hockey smarts. Hope he can bring something to the ice. I think this is only part of a bigger move. Perhaps moving a couple of UFA forwards for some defensemen.

Stillman is a slightly better skater than Ray Sheppard.

I hope like hell he retires this summer. If Rutherford offers him a contract, I'm going to tear up some stuff.

This is only part one of the "going green recycling deadline deals".

BigK I hope your prediction on this is correct.JR does like to bring players back and they do like coming back... Other than Babchuck (which he promptly traded) and A.Ward(which he did the same with as soon as he could) the players he has brought back have done OK. Given the fact he didn't trade any of the "Kids" I don't see him giving Cory a permanant roster spot.This was a good move doesn't hurt us and gives them more time to grow into the NHL...Come on Justin get on that plane already!!!Make BigK a hero :notworthy:

Always liked stiller, BUT this doesn't address 2 of our 3 biggest weaknesses.

positve:

1. Cory is good on the PP and knows staal and cole, so should help there.

2. A known playoff performer

Negatives:

1.Doesn't adress the "D" problems and Cory is not known as a big back checker so doesn't help on the forwrd "D" either

2. Carter been one of our better Face-off guys, so again the F.O weakness just got weaker

3. Cory is 37, doesn't help the team long term

If going to go this route much rather have made the trade( even if cost another player or higher draft pick), for Stephen Weiss, who is 10 years younger, a good Face off guy and better "D" Forward than Cory. You would at least help on the F.O and PP with weiss over stillman.

this move reeks of warm milk, let's hope there are other moves

I like the Stiller trade. Low risk, possible high reward. We know what he's capable of, this is his home, he's familiar with the core of the team, and his kind of hockey smarts don't fade away. The only concerns are obviously his health and his speed. Though, I am a little disappointed to see Carter go, he was a solid, reliable player. Bottom line, this trade improves the team.

I think Stillman considers Florida home. I hope he plans to retire there this summer!

Stillman was 6th on a bad Panthers team in scoring. Tied for 7th in goals with 7 and 4th in assists with 16. There's not much to get excited about there in my opinion. If the Panthers couldn't make any magic happen with Weiss, Booth, Dvorak, Santorelli....what makes us so confident it'll happen with our top 6?

And before you get your hopes up for Justin Williams. Don't forget there are a lot of former Canes out there. There's no guaranteed that JR will get a good one. The price for Williams would be very high, and the chances of LA trading one of their top 4 scorers while they are firmly in a fight for a playoff spot, is slim. It would cost JR more than he should be willing to trade. He said last night he was not trading any of his young prospects, although he has gotten a lot of calls on them.

I think his cryptic message last night during the interview, was tongue-in-cheek.

I think Stillman considers Florida home. I hope he plans to retire there this summer!

Stillman was 6th on a bad Panthers team in scoring. Tied for 7th in goals with 7 and 4th in assists with 16. There's not much to get excited about there in my opinion. If the Panthers couldn't make any magic happen with Weiss, Booth, Dvorak, Santorelli....what makes us so confident it'll happen with our top 6?

And before you get your hopes up for Justin Williams. Don't forget there are a lot of former Canes out there. There's no guaranteed that JR will get a good one. The price for Williams would be very high, and the chances of LA trading one of their top 4 scorers while they are firmly in a fight for a playoff spot, is slim. It would cost JR more than he should be willing to trade. He said last night he was not trading any of his young prospects, although he has gotten a lot of calls on them.

I think his cryptic message last night during the interview, was tongue-in-cheek.

Hasn't Stillman been out for a bit this season with an injury? Hard to compare stats when the total games played aren't equal. Why not compare Stillman to Olesz who was touted to be the next best thing for Florida and played 1 game shy of what Stillman did. He had 6 goals 11 assists for 17 points with a -1 rating.

As for why the magic wasn't found in Florida with that talent, easy.... playing in Florida is like being exhiled for any player. They've been sellers for over a decade with no signs of finishing a rebuild. I call it "the Dennis Potvin effect."

And I agree about the tongue-in-cheek comment, JR was was just trying his best to deal with the two idiots who sounded like they were almost mocking him.

He's missed about 15 games. Higgins has about the same number of games, the rest of Floridas better players have high 50s.

I don't think the extra 15 games makes him a leading scorer. He's only averaging goal every 6 games and an assist every 3 games. He'd be on pace for 9 g and 21a had he played 59-60 games.