The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Cory Stillman to Carolina for Ryan Carter and 5th rounder

He's missed about 15 games. Higgins has about the same number of games, the rest of Floridas better players have high 50s.

I don't think the extra 15 games makes him a leading scorer. He's only averaging goal every 6 games and an assist every 3 games. He'd be on pace for 9 g and 21a had he played 59-60 games.

If your projection was correct, that would give him 30 points and put him right up there in the top 5 for Florida. Not bad considering the talent he's right behind, his age compared to that talent and the fact that Florida is just not a very good team. And if he was a leading scorer, wouldn't he cost more than an injured 4th line centerman and a 5th round pick?

I'm not saying he's going to come here and light things up like its 06 again but at least here he has a chance to compete for something in what may be his last season in the NHL (maybe), and there's is that comfort factor in playing in a place and with teammates you're familiar with.

The trade can potentially make us better and definitely won't hurt us. Most of us have said we dont want JR risking the future for the slim chance this current team has of making a deep run so this is the type of deal has low risk for a potential decent return. The defense still needs to be addressed and JR said he's working on that. The deadline is 3 days away and all the wheeling and dealing is ramping up right now. The higher asking prices will either come back to earth or go sky high.

Great move. He will get a 1 or 2 year contract and retire here. His family is her as his son was part of the Junior Hurricanes that team that won in Quebec.

Next we should look at Bryan McCabe or Chris Phillips and shore up the D.

Curious to see where Cory is placed and whom will be dropped to the non playing 4th line? I like Cory but not sure if this was the right move. Ryan was helping our face off wins, this could be interesting to watch!

Just seems like we gave up a lot more than we got! Ryan and a pick seems like too much to me..The Pick yes but both,,I;m not to sure,hope I am wrong!

Edited by djharley

Stillman is a good get for us...it's not sexy but is sure as heck is smart. Numbers don't really tell the whole picture. Stillman's been getting 3rd line time and he's not going to exactly light it up with Santorelli and Skille. A return to NC and the chance to play in the top 6 (likely the top 3) is going to let Stiller play his game and we will see an improved first line with an excellent playmaker to set up Staal and Cole. The other lines get better as Ruutu Jokinen and Skinner can play together and I think that's a heckuva second line, LaRose Sutter and Tlusty is a solid defensive line that has speed/energy and will certainly be able to put the puck in the net; Dwyer Bodie and Samson/Samsonov make a capable 4th line.

The power-play, my GOD what a difference this will make. A player who can make quick decisions and fire off crisp passes rather than doing the Sergei dangle and dance...we just made a HUGE improvement.

In terms of the defensive side...see below.

Rutherford said that the second-round pick that was acquired from San Jose along with Derek Joslin in exchange for White could be used to bolster the team’s defense prior to Monday’s trade deadline.

“We’ll still look and listen, but now that we’ve balanced out the forwards, if something comes up to balance out our D, we’ll do that,” he said.

We're not done yet and I think we will make a good move here, again nothing sexy, but smart and smart wins.

Curious to see where Cory is placed and whom will be dropped to the nonplaying 4th line? I like Cory but not sure if this was the right move. Ryan was helping our faceoff wins, this could be intersting to watch!

Faceoffs are very concerning but Ryan Carter is still 3-4 games away from returning, he hasn't been able to help for quite a few games now.

Great move. He will get a 1 or 2 year contract and retire here. His family is her as his son was part of the Junior Hurricanes that team that won in Quebec.

Next we should look at Bryan McCabe or Chris Phillips and shore up the D.

His son plays in Florida where his family lives, was added to the Canes team for the tournament only.

This is the typical JR "subtle" move. He loves to try guys who others are giving up on, especially if they've been Canes before. JR had to do something, but apparently couldn't accomplish anything substantial so he hopes this little move will make a difference. OK, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Personally I have been thinking for quite a while now that Dwyer and LaRose are simply not good top 9 players. Sammy, well, streaky Sammy can be at times. I am guessing that there is little love for Sammy out there in GM land, or he'd be gone by now.

So, IF Stillman still has some game, he is an offensive upgrade over LaRose and Dwyer, so I guess that helps.

Talking about low risk, high reward: Stillman is a playmaker and we need one more of those. He could do that on the top line with Staal and Cole, or on the second line with Ruutu and Skinner. Whichever he does, Jussi is the playmaker on the other line. If it clicks, our top 2 lines will be balanced and potent.

I just wonder how much game he has left. When he left here he wasn't doing much, and he didn't get any younger in Florida.

Sammy/Sutter/Tlusty really is a pretty good third line. Sammy seems to play best on the third, I think Tlusty is coming on, and Sutter is also.

As to J.Willy we can only dream. He has 20 goals already, good for #47 in the league (there are theoretically 90 first line forwards), and he is +14, see that Eric Staal?

Stillmann pick up, JR's forte', works about half the time, low risk. OK, fine. BUT if this the last move.....not fine. Package some bodies, picks, players and get that stay at home dman.

Edited by remkin

As to J.Willy we can only dream. He has 20 goals already, good for #47 in the league (there are theoretically 90 first line forwards), and he is +14, see that Eric Staal?

J. Willy is a free agent at the end of the year... If he's not signed somewhere, then JR will have an opportunity to recycle once again. :woohoo:

Hope Stiller proves me wrong and is capable of making an impact but I still have that ho-hum feeling about the trade and I'm not that convinced about the high reward part.

Offensively: The bottom line is Stiller is nowhere near the Stiller we remember from the Cup year. The upside is he'll bring much needed playmaking abilities to the left wing and is an (occasional) alternative to Jussi. He also brings veteran playoff experience, SHOULD we make it, but since he didn't get any practice with the whiner wussies he might be a bit rusty and a big ? mark. If we do see an offensive improvement, my guess is it will have more to do with forcing Mo's hand to keep Rosey and Sammy away from the top lines. On the downside, he is running on steam and not high-test anymore. In order to contribute and stay healthy, a lot will depend on his skill and wit to keep guys off of him.

Defensively: Our biggest problem is still our defensive cluster gaggle and forwards struggling to bring a decent backcheck effort which isn't Stiller's forté either. I think he is still good enough positionally to avoid getting over run and become a defensive liability though.

Powerplay: Personally I don't think it has been as bad as the PP% indicates. 5 or 6 games ago it was almost 19%, it's still 20% at home, we have created decent chances but just couldn't capitalize. Where we really suck for some reason is in away games (14%). For our PP to improve it'll still depend on our ability to finish not on Stiller passing the puck around. Also, having Stiller on the PP is not going to change the fact that we seldom have more than 1 min of PP time because we lost a face-off or two and have to chase down the puck all over the place every time.

Damn, I hate to be so optimistic. :woohoo:

On another note, it's interesting to see all the emphasis on offense. Problem is, Mo barely has anyone left he can count on for defense.

Looks like the lines for tonight will have Larose with Skinner and Rutuu. They are keeping Jussi with Sutter and Tilusty. Larose needs to be on the forth line period. Am I the only one who feels this way.

I think everyone feels that way except Maurice. I wonder if Maurice can put together a 50 piece kids puzzle? I'm having doubts.

Looks like the lines for tonight will have Larose with Skinner and Rutuu. They are keeping Jussi with Sutter and Tilusty. Larose needs to be on the forth line period. Am I the only one who feels this way.

and what would you do with Bodie?

His son plays in Florida where his family lives, was added to the Canes team for the tournament only.

Wow, I didn't realize PeeWee hockey had developed to the level of getting rental players!

Wow, I didn't realize PeeWee hockey had developed to the level of getting rental players!

At that age they call it "by invitation" but yeah, same thing. :lol:

Welcome back 61! I've always felt that he is underated and one of the best playmakers around. Never was fast or physical but always very dangerous to play against. It's easy to say that he is not the same player of 3 yrs ago but just as easy to say that the Canes have never been the same since he left. Really like this move by JR even if only for the short run.

He would still be with Dwer and Larose. I would like to see Jussi with Skinner and Rutuu. Samson and Samsonov would would rotate on Sutter line.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. So where would that leave Stillman and Tlusty? The Jussi-Skinner-Ruutu line could work since Skinner can play center and Ruutu right wing. It's a little different for the Dwyer line since Bodie and LaRose are both right wingers and the Sutter line where Samson and Sammy are both left wingers.