The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Technical support - part 2

Anyone have some advice for me?

I'm having all kinds of issues with FF that just started out of nowhere today. It keeps freezing up and crashing every time I try and load a page. Sometimes it can fix itself but most of the time I need to reboot everything. I've uninstalled and re-installed FF about 6 times but it only made a difference for a short period the first time. I've done malware and virus scans and made sure all my updates were current.

I'm out of ideas and getting very frustrated :( Any ideas what could cause this issue all of a sudden?

If your getting a specific crash message post it here. Also google it.

Bad add-ons can also cause browsers to crash so maybe look into your FF's add-ons and turn them all off to see if it goes away. If it does slowly turn them back on until the issue returns. Some add-ons might be blank or look questionable and those could be it.

When you uninstall your program it's best to restart after uninstalling because the uninstaller is unable to delete registry items or folders that were in use during the uninstall. Despite popular belief that a restart is just a waste of time. So to get a really fresh re-install I'd reboot after the un-install. Also for good measure you can find your Mozilla or FF folder in C:\Program Files\ if it still remains after a un-install / reboot go ahead and trash that to.

Thanks for that info. Ive read about the error and found out that FF has known conflicts with windows 7 and coincidentally, I did a windows update this morning. FF started having all the issues after that. I've always had periodic crashes and some sluggish page loading so I assume that conflict has always been a problem for me but the update today made it much worse.

The good news is that Im playing with google chrome and its running perfectly. Can you add tool bars to chrome?

Not sure I like a little excitement in my life and use IE. Never know if my CC or SSN is being stolen :)

I haven't tried Chrome, I think of the techs in my department likes it. I couldn't tell ya anything :(

Do you ever have Invision software glitches with IE? I haven't used it in a while but when we were just trying the new board out looking for bugs, things like little icons and placement of pop up windows looked different in IE vs FF.

The only thing that makes me mad is when a topic gets to be to many pages long you goto click like page 10. The topic line re-adjusts itself and puts the 10 under the topic. So you move your mouse to the top and it re-aligns again and puts the 10 back where it was.

Soo...

TOPIC 1 2 3 4...10

I goto click page 10

and it moves to like

TOPIC 1 2 3 4

Edited by legend-1

The only thing that makes me mad is when a topic gets to be to many pages long you goto click like page 10. The topic line re-adjusts itself and puts the 10 under the topic. So you move your mouse to the top and it re-aligns again and puts the 10 back where it was.

Soo...

TOPIC 1 2 3 4...10

I goto click page 10

and it moves to like

TOPIC 1 2 3 4

I have that problem too and I hate it! Someone needs to fix it. :P

^^ that happens in FF too.

Have been tempted to try Chrome, but I'm not a huge Google fan. I run FF 3.6 on Win 7 64 bit. Don't have too many problems except FF is a memory hog, and some plug-ins have memory leaks. FF 4 is supposed to be a big improvement, they are pushing to get it done in the next week or two.

^^ that happened in FF for me too and I think its software related, not browser. If Im understanding it correctly, the page numbers "float" because of the shaded topic preview menu that appears when you highlight it. There's a chance I might be able to disable that feature if you guys don't really use it. I use it but wouldn't die if others want it removed.

So far I'm loving Chrome. Very user friendly and have had no issues/conflicts whatsoever. No tool bar addons needed, it makes its own custom tool bar as you set your bookmarks. Toggling tabs is ridiculously easy and you have flexibilty how you want them set up vs FF and IE. Chrome also has its own version of adblock which is really nice :)

Did some real "work" this morning and so far there's no problems with programs I run for work. I keep checking my security and there's been no leaks detected yet.