The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dukefan711

Who replaces Samsonov?

23 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best candidate to replace Samsonov in the lineup?

• Zach Boychuk
    • Zac Dalpe
    • Jerome Samson
    • Jon Matsumoto
    • Drayson Bowman
    • Other

I'd have to go with Boychuck right now, since he does have 7 points in the NHL. I also like Dalpe and Samson though.

Edited by Dukefan711

Our PP was bad enough with Samsonov as about the only right hand shot PP forward. With right hands at a premium, it's got to be Samson (I think Dalpe is a righty too?)

Honestly, nothing against Sammy, but I feel anyone from that list could jump in and fill in his role completely, if not more. Like Red Storm said, right handers are at a premium, so it's probably going to be Samson.

Samson is my vote as well, but he needs to be that guy that parks in front of the net and takes some punishment, but gets the dirty goals. Needs to use his size and screen the goalie. Now if Mo would just try that on the power play, what a novel idea to put a big body in front of the net. I digress, the PP could and may be its own thread.

And the correct answer is LaRose. Samson will be buried on the 4th line gain tonight, getting 6 minutes, tops.

LaRose will yet again drag down Ruutu and Skinner to his level of incompetence.

And the correct answer is LaRose. Samson will be buried on the 4th line gain tonight, getting 6 minutes, tops.

LaRose will yet again drag down Ruutu and Skinner to his level of incompetence.

Your source?

I'll throw this out there.

I'd like to see Boychuk in the mix.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see Samson get a shot also, but maybe alternating healthy extras?

Stillman,Staal,Cole

Jussi,Skinner,Ruutu

Boychuk, Sutter, Tlusty

LaRose,Dwyer,Bodie

Samson extra, working in some games.

Boychuk just seems on the verge, and has some offensive upside.

Of course Samson seems on the verge too.

Yeah, I assumed that's why Samson got the nod, that and it was his turn, but I thought Boychuk had improved in that area.

Hmmm. Flank Skinner with a big hitter and a big boy? Interesting.

My concern would be that I really haven't seen top 6 hands and skills from Bodie. But if we get up a couple goals would be interesting to see Skinner with bilateral physical wingers. Might lessen the cheap shots.

Anyone else even the slightest bit morbidly curious to see Bodie skate with Skinner and Ruutu?

Just a few shifts....

Yea, I would like to see that myself. I don't think he has really gotten much of a chance since we aquired him. Put him in front of the net and let Skinner and Ruutu do their thing!

Glad I'm not 100% alone and crazy on that.

Bodie shows flashes of skill....just lacks the finish. Playing with someone more talented might help him find a scoring touch....or at the very least keep the cheap shot artists off Skinner's back.

A lot of pure goons got good minutes with guys like Gretzky back in the day. padded their stats too. I'm not advocating that, just saying Bodie isn't some hack who can't skate. The guy moves quite well. Puts himself in good scoring positions, just hasn't gotten any bounces.

Yeah, I assumed that's why Samson got the nod, that and it was his turn, but I thought Boychuk had improved in that area.

Plus.I'm not sure how the whole "waiver" stuff works. Even though the trade deadline is over can someone still be claimed off waivers? If that is so, maybe they didn't want to take a chance on losing Samson. I myself Like Boychuk's offensive play,plus the kid can take a beating pretty well. He was getting hit hard and a lot while he was up. Samson does also has more size that Boychuk.

Plus.I'm not sure how the whole "waiver" stuff works. Even though the trade deadline is over can someone still be claimed off waivers? If that is so, maybe they didn't want to take a chance on losing Samson. I myself Like Boychuk's offensive play,plus the kid can take a beating pretty well. He was getting hit hard and a lot while he was up. Samson does also has more size that Boychuk.

I'm not much of a waivers expert either, but I wonder about holding one out as a healthy scratch. Can we do that while doing it with Joselin also? Just cary those guys in the booth and switch guys in and out?

im a big samson fan[gritty] big, can cycle., lets see some going to net, now kahuna, u bring up a interesting point about brodie, hes been close, has played well, plus tripper says hes way over due.. hmmm

Re: waivers/callups...callups are limited to 4 after the deadline until the end of the regular season. Waivers operates same as usual.

I think they are giving Samson his shot to see where he is, mainly for next year. I expect we will see Boychuk up here full-time next year, but who else is ready is still a question (among many for the off-season).

I didn't hear Mo mention LaRose in that clip but may have missed it...he mentioned Stillman on the PP as replacing Sammy. Seeing as Sammy was mostly on the 4th line I'd say Samson is his logical replacement for now.

Re: Bodie...I wouldn't mind seeing him play up a couple of lines as a tryout. I think GMs/coaches tend to typecast players (realizing they know skills/limitations better than we do of course). Another I wouldn't mind seeing (before yesterday) is Harrison or maybe Joslin with Joni. Would be nice to see if they can handle the minutes. One other consideration for why we haven't seen much of this is the health of the team has been almost perfect, and injury replacements are probably the most common time to see lower line players pushed up to see what they can do.

Anyone else even the slightest bit morbidly curious to see Bodie skate with Skinner and Ruutu?

Just a few shifts....

Hah! I've mentioned this to a couple of fan friends more than once. Skinner gets run too often. I like it!