The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2011 NHL Playoff Picture

Who says I have to wait until the daytime to post this? I feel like posting it now, darn it! :lol:

So as I said before, there are a few minor improvements. Nothing groundbreaking, just a couple of things I felt like changing. There's now conference-appropriate color in the tables, and my personal favorite... formulas in the standings! Now, all I have to do is update the W-L-OTL columns, and the points and games remaining columns will update automatically. Heck yes! B)

Target update times for this year will be 10:30 PM and 1:00 AM (both times ET, obviously) every night. I can't guarantee that I'll be able to update the page at these times, but I will try my best, of course. I can tell you that on Friday nights, the 10:30 PM update time will likely not happen that soon since I work late. For the last week of the regular season, I will try to do more frequent updates each night... but I'll worry about that when we get to April.

So, here it is... as always, hook me up with a pin, mods! :)

http://heelsrule1988.tripod.com/2011nhlplayoffpicture.htm

Edited by gocanes88

Assuming things stand as they are, some really interesting match-ups in the first round (besides us of course)... B's vs Habs, Pits vs Caps, sharks vs kings, det vs chi.

I definitely wouldn't want to meet Philadelphia in the first round... that series would go no more than five games. Tampa Bay would be an awesome opponent, because they're a familiar division foe and we can handle them. If we make the playoffs, that's who I want to see us go up against.

Edited by gocanes88

I definitely wouldn't want to meet Philadelphia in the first round... that series would go no more than five games. Tampa Bay would be an awesome opponent, because they're a familiar division foe and we can handle them. If we make the playoffs, that's who I want to see us go up against.

Yep, of our possible 1st round opponents -- provided we make it -- TB is the only team I see us having a shot of getting past. Flyers and Bruins will wipe the ice with us.

I think we've got musical chairs with us, NYR and Buffalo fighting for 7th and 8th seeds. Toronto has come on a bit, but I don't think they have the depth to make a run this year. Atlanta has fallen off and will find it tough to change their downward momentum. They had a chance to get back in it last night vs. MTL and fell flat.

NJ is still in it. I know they look like they're way back there, but if you look at their March opponents, they're still in the running, but I think they have too far to reach to get all the way back. Very similar to us last year.

At this point, I'd love for us to sneak into 7th and take on TB in the 1st round. That would be our best chance in the postseason. If we grab 8th, then we're gonna have our heads handed to us by Philly in short order.

Only the 1AM update will happen tonight... I'm going to watch both the Carolina and Duke games with some friends at work.

Sorry about the late update... I had to watch our thrilling win over evil Buffalo. It was recorded since I had to work.

No 1AM update tonight since, well... all the games for tonight are already over. :P

The evil Sabres have leapfrogged us for the 8th spot. Can't let them stay there!

and the so called phila unbeatable machine has lost 4 in a row.. go figure, need pens to beat buffalo, they got some injuries yesterday

I was really hoping Philly was going to help us out, but NYR and Buff both caught them during a slump. Bummer. We're gonna have to get a win streak going here or we'll be left in the dust.

We still have a pretty good chance. Teams keep beating themselves up in the east. We have games in hand on the Rangers. Nobody is going to run away with 7th and 8th place. With the addition of Stillman and Allen we are a better team than we were just couple of weeks ago. We do need to put a win streak together. But we still have a good chance.

need 5 out of 6 points, next 3 games, i would prefer a 3 game winning streak, that would be fun for a change

Truth of the matter is, our team is considerably better with their backs against the wall. We as fans hate it, but the bright side is we are much better when we have something to fight for.

Another point in our favor( becuase we stink at at), and not sure the OP has it in his matchup's, but in the event of a tie of points of teams at end of Season, shoot-out wins are eliminated from the totals this year( new rule), which favors the canes in that we are not winning many of those.

as an FYI:

canes 4-5

buffalo- 5-1

rangers- 7-2

devils - 3-1

toronto- 4-5

So any tie of points with buffalo or rangers right now would give us the tiebreaker, not sure next tiebreaker with toronto and lose to devils.

With Buffalo losing tonight (and with no games in hand), if I'm correct, we can be back in 8th place if we win our next game, no?

With Buffalo losing tonight (and with no games in hand), if I'm correct, we can be back in 8th place if we win our next game, no?

Correct. A win and we're back in 8th. But with the Canes and Sabres flipping back and forth the next week in games played before they face each other on 3/15, this week is probably make or break for the Canes.

3/09 Carolina v Atlanta

3/10 Buffalo @ Boston

3/11 Carolina @ Washington

3/12 Carolina v Columbus

3/12 Buffalo @ Toronto

3/13 Buffalo v Ottawa

3/15 Buffalo v Carolina

Edited by hopper915

i think it comes down to final weekend, tonight, rags at ducks, emery called up for ducks, then they play SJ.. then at phila sunday.. lets see what sunday night holds..

Holy cow... look at what we have here! Every single team from the Pacific is in the playoffs as of right now! That is unbelievable... I don't think I've seen anything like that in any sport. It probably won't last, but still. That's pretty amazing!

Edited by gocanes88

The playoff picture in the east is still clouded. We didn't help our cause last night but we are still in the hunt. I don't now how many more chances we will get this season to climb above the line but I suspect we might get another chance. I will admit I am discouraged and right now it feels like we don't have a chance but it just isn't in my nature to give up. If we can manage a couple of wins in the next two games we could still get in.