The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2011 NHL Playoff Picture

From Yahoo Sports:

Carolina'a Annual all-or-nothing Playoff Charge

By Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Yahoo! Sports

It was September. Jeff Skinner(notes) was just a peach-cheeked rookie playing in a prospects tournament in Traverse City, Mich. Carolina Hurricanes general manager Jim Rutherford was looking forward to training camp, thinking he had a good, young group set up to succeed in the long term – and that maybe, if some of that youth was precocious enough, it could compete for a playoff spot this season.

“And we know what our team does once we get in the playoffs,” Rutherford said then. “Once we get in, we’re very capable of having a good run.”

Now here are the Hurricanes on the brink, ninth in the Eastern Conference, four points behind the eighth-placeNew York Rangers and five behind the seventh-place Buffalo Sabres. With three games to go, they have a game in hand on each.

Full article here

Thrashers shut out the Rangers 3-0!!! woohoo.gif

Although stranger things have happened, as we well know, I just don't see the Rangers beating the Devils on Saturday...then again, I just read that the Devils Zach Parise is going to sit out their last two games. (He had just returned Saturday after being out for several months from knee surgery.) If Marty will still be in goal, I'll feel better - we may have his number, but that doesn't mean the Rangers do. Besides, the Devils don't like the Rangers very much, LOL:

From NHL.com:

"The Devils, despite being out of the playoff picture, could certainly play the role of spoiler against their Atlantic Division nemesis in three days. The Rangers sit eighth in the Eastern Conference, just two points ahead of ninth-seeded Carolina.

"It's hard to get up for games (out of the playoff picture), so it'll be nice to have something to play for a little bit," Brodeur said. "For our fans, especially. There the ones praying for that matchup on Saturday, but we'll see what's going to happen."

Edited by DianeNC

Thrashers 3-0 over rags. To quote Hunter S Thompson "It never got weird enough for me". The Canes now control their playoff future...again. Thanks Thrashers...hope they cashed it all in tonight vs the rags. LET'S GO CANES! They do keep it interesting.

Atlanta will be on a back to back with us rested. Tampa will be on a back to back as are we, but likely not playing for anything.

The way this team is playing a two game win streak from here on is very possible. Plus NYR looked tight tonight, they might lose again.

Glass half full!

Yep, new ballgame! Like I said, this is already the playoffs for the Canes.

And like the playoffs, they control their own destiny. Just win. You're in.

Folks, isn't this exciting? What the heck, sure, I'd rather be clinched, but this is good stuff! Let's enjoy the ride.

Yep, new ballgame! Like I said, this is already the playoffs for the Canes.

And like the playoffs, they control their own destiny. Just win. You're in.

Folks, isn't this exciting? What the heck, sure, I'd rather be clinched, but this is good stuff! Let's enjoy the ride.

Couldn't agree more...though my doctor might disagree on the blood pressure front. :cheers:

Edited by Old_School

Sweet merciful crap!

We're alive... Just win baby!

I didn't expect this gift from the Thrash...

If you want my total honest opinion, I just had an inkling this morning that our 3-0 shutout of Detroit didn't sit well with the Rangers. They had to believe that the Canes will likely win out after that, and now the pressure really started to mount...

Just one thing...

Keep forgetting that shoot out wins still matter. So...

No shootouts! Just win!

And there are some scenarios that we can cook up where it comes down to a shoot out Sat nite.

Man, I can't take this.

Sports club stats has updated with tonight's results. The 88% "in" if the canes "win" both games reflects the possibilities some of those wins are SO's. (He was breaking out results with SO's, but I think it got confusing and he wrapped it back in.)

Anyway, this is gonna be one heck of a ride!

Sports Club Stats Hurricanes

Cam was on NHL live today, and he said "we still need some help" well, they got it tonight! I watched the Rangers game, and they looked flat, and they played not to lose. If we win tomorrow night, then the Rangers are under HUGE pressure to beat the Devils.

Let's hope Cole is the Thrashers killer tomorrow.

Done with work for this week! Unless I'm out doing something... the only time I won't be able to update the playoff picture this weekend is immediately after the 7PM games tomorrow night (for obvious reasons).

A small, small part of me kind of hopes the Rangers win tomorrow afternoon so I'll be on hand to witness what would be by far the most dramatic regular-season game in our history tomorrow night. But then when I consider the fact that I just want to finally be able to go to a playoff game at the RBC Center... I'm all for the Devils getting it done and making tomorrow night's game a stress-free playoff tuneup. :lol:

I should add... I don't know if you guys will agree with me, but I'm thrilled that Washington will be our opponent in the conference quarterfinals if we get into the playoffs. Philadelphia owns us and would likely end it in five, and Pittsburgh isn't exactly a team I want to play, either. Washington is a division rival that we're familiar with... and before you try to argue that we're only 1-5 against them season, remember that four of those five losses were by just one goal (and one came in a shootout). I'm not at all afraid of our chances against them.

Edited by gocanes88

I should add... I don't know if you guys will agree with me, but I'm thrilled that Washington will be our opponent in the conference quarterfinals if we get into the playoffs.

Yep, if the Canes make it, they will play the Caps. That's set.

I like the idea! It is about time we have the potential for an inter-divisional context in the playoffs. It will be fun to make new enemies.

---

I'm dying of heart failure, folks. My two teams (Canes and Blackhawks) are both on the bubble in 8th place, needing only to do their own business to get in. It is fun, but maddening!

Ur right gocanes, we play caps tough, chat room, i was told ,will be open during devs game this afternoon at 1230, hope to see alot of caniacs in there!

Here is what we know about the Eastern Conference:

1) Washington is the #1 seed.

2) Tampa Bay is the #5 seed. They cannot move up or down regardless of the outcome tonight.

3) Carolina or New York will be the #8 seed.

4) Everything else is up in the air!

Pittsburgh can end up being as high as #2 or as low as #4.

Philadelphia can end up being as high as #2 or as low as #4.

Boston can end up being as high as #2 or as low as # 3.

Montreal can end up being as high as # 6 or as low as #7.

Buffalo can end up being as high as # 6 or as low as #7.

Edited by hopper915

Here is what we know about the Eastern Conference:

1) Washington is the #1 seed.

2) Tampa Bay is the #5 seed. They cannot move up or down regardless of the outcome tonight.

3) Carolina or New York will be the #8 seed.

4) Everything else is up in the air!

Pittsburgh can end up being as high as #2 or as low as #4.

Philadelphia can end up being as high as #2 or as low as #4.

Boston can end up being as high as #2 or as low as # 3.

Montreal can end up being as high as # 6 or as low as #7.

Buffalo can end up being as high as # 6 or as low as #7.

james_donald_5.jpg

Madness! Madness!

Hello Canes fans! I am a Thrashers fan but with us out yet again, I wanted to hop on here and wish you the best of luck! My fingers and toes are crossed that the Rangers lose today.

With your permission, I would like to be a Caniac for the rest of the season. Hopefully it will be a long and victorious one for your team! Long live southern hockey!

Go Devils (today only) and Go Canes!

Edited by BigMomma1

No. The next tiebreaker is head-to-head, and we've got them beat there. So it doesn't matter how either team wins... if they win, we have to win as well.

Sorry Bigmamma1 for your short-lived Caniac experience. Atlanta did everything to help us get in except beat Tampa Bay for us yesterday. Here's hoping for a better season next year for both our teams.

The East is set, but there's still some seeds (and a final spot) to be settled in the West on this final day of the regular season.

The East is set, but there's still some seeds (and a final spot) to be settled in the West on this final day of the regular season.

Blackhawks lost. So now Dallas controls their own destiny. If they win in reg/OT, they are in. SO win or any kind of loss puts the Hawks in.