The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Dukefan711

Zach Boychuk

He won't be nor will anyone else. The NHL/AHL roster deadline has passed so Boychuk will be in Charlotte for the remainder of the season and vice versa for Samson. The only way he'll get a call-up is if it's an emergency call-up I.E. one of our players gets injured and we're shorthanded.

Thanks for clearing that up for me I was not aware of that. What if the scenario were to occur if Samson was injured, and they called up Boychuk for emergency. Could they then chose who they would want to send down, or does that matter? Also, do you think Samson is better for us than Boychuk would have been?

I am not sure on the entire rules but I believe in an emergency situation they could call up anyone they want. Hopefully someone who knows this more will clear up.

As far as whose better for us now, personally I would've gone w/ Boychuk simply because he's got experience here. I think tonight was Samson's 10th game overall with us (dating back to last season). I wouldn't be surprised if JR wanted to send Samson back down, maybe to get Joslin off the bench, but Samson probably would've had to clear waivers, and JR was thankfully not going to take the chance of losing him like we did w/ Carson.

But Samson is no slouch either just because he doesn't have the NHL games in hand that Boychuk has, in fact he's been leading the team in goals and points which might be why JR called him up.

Well in that case. I am glad for Samson. Maybe Samson can be the darkhorse, and who knows. maybe he will be motivated and get more playing time to help his big club earn a playoff spot, he has done that very well for the Rats/Checkers!

Samson would have to clear waivers and I don't think he was on the Checkers clear day roster so he's here for the duration. If we make the playoffs Boychuk may be brought up then. He could be recalled now but I can't see why they would unless someone is hurt.

think boychuck the more NHL ready player and better upside than samson.. not sure why they put themslves in this situation and now have to stick with Samson over boychuck

Samson reminds me so much of the other minor league 'lifers", they can put great production up in the minor's but just don't have the NHL skill level...keith aucoin,jamie johnson,michel leivelle,mike bayrack

Edited by canes-in-7

As much as I agree/believe that Boychuk should be up and not Samson,at least Boychuk is playing and not siting on the bench with the 4th line like Samson is. Mo doesn't like to run 4 lines so Boychuk is getting a lot more TOI than he would here. Samson just doesn't seem to be taking advantage of his chance or Mo isn't giving him enough time for him to make a statement!

Edited by djharley

Jim Rutherford himself, speaking on the stretch drive, stated that of Boychuk, Dalpe, and Samson, the organization feels Samson is the most NHL ready, and that's why he is here, and will stay here down the stretch, barring injury of course.

And to follow that up I would take Samson all day long over Boychuk in the role the team is asking one of those three to fill at this point in the season. And that is a checking, grinding style of play while being sound defensively, regardless of the icetime. Samson is stronger on the puck, plays better defensively, and has an offensive upside.

Boychuk was not drafted to fill that role, so I think having Samson here at this point in the season makes perfect sense. Seems to me the organization agrees.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah, I think you have it right Coastal. It is a question of roles. Early in the season, and if we were not in the playoff hunt, Boychuk is here to get NHL experience and show what he can do. But that means playing in the top 9 at least. For the playoff push and possibly the playoffs, we don't have a spot for Boychuk in the top 9 barring injury. While I still think that the team sees Boychuk as our best offensive prospect in the minors, including Samson, he is not ready to consistently produce now, and especially in the playoffs. (He was at .3 ppg despite some good time in the top 9, even the top line this year).

Now next year....personally I think LaRose has to take a long hard look at his career, because Boychuk is likely taking his spot in the top 9. LaRose will have to take a pay cut and go to the 4th line next year to stay with the Canes in my opinion.

Samson cycles and checks and plays the dirty areas better than Boychuk. Plus, the team probably wants one long last look at Samson to decide where he stands.

Yup, I agree coastal and remkin. Boychuk will most likely be up full-time next year, taking Stillman, LaRose, or Dwyer's place. Based on their games I'd say Stillman, though I don't think Boychuk will be first line material yet. Based on his size and game he really needs to be in the top 6 though.

Hmm...seems to be non-emergency. Another case of trying someone out to see how far they have come before camp next year? Remember this year in camp he seemed to be ahead of Boychuk on the curve but have hardly heard his name around here since, and his numbers have been decent but not great.

....he seemed to be ahead of Boychuk on the curve but have hardly heard his name around here since, and his numbers have been decent but not great.

My understanding is that he did not do well in Charlotte, nor handle the transition well. He seems to have improved significantly lately, but I don't know why/how. My info is limited at best. Maybe member Captain_Jack knows more.

I'd rather him play in the minors and get time. Samson I mean he looks good but nothing is going in. My thoughts are JR thinks Samson can round out the 4th line while having no hope to stay in the NHL thus not stunting his growth. Which is sad because Samson looks so darn good every game but literally nothing goes in for the guy.

My understanding is that he did not do well in Charlotte, nor handle the transition well. He seems to have improved significantly lately, but I don't know why/how. My info is limited at best. Maybe member Captain_Jack knows more.

Unfortunately I don't. This is kind of interesting to me as well. All I can really guess JR wants to give a shot to different prospects.

Edited by captain_jack88