The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Technical support part 3

Once again I show my technologically challenged self and need some help from you tech savvy folks.

In using PP 2010, how do I time music files to coincide (fade in/out) with the slides? I can use Audacity to edit the music file but how the heck do know what the timeline looks like to match it to PP? The "rehearsal timer" only times one slide at a time (unless I've missed something) so I'm guessing and missing big every time.

This latest version of PP has lots of bells and whistles but its not very user friendly, at least for me.

There may be a better way, but you can use the rehearsal timer to time your presentation while you play back the music after you've put the fades in. It records the time for each slide. If you are using the same time per slide that should give you the rough timing for your music to time your fades, then match to the presentation using the timer. I think that should work...I've used the rehearsal timer (though not in 2010) but never music. Just look at the slides in the slide sorter to see the timing of each slide once you're done with the rehearsal.

Well....after 3 days and an embarrassing amount of hours I finally got it done, no thanks to Microsoft. The 2010 version of PP is definitely lacking all the editing tools needed for a decent slide presentation. Audacity was a breeze to figure out and I ended up using the clock timer on my phone to time all the audio files to the slides.

What an ordeal. Big thumbdown.gif to microsoft.

PP prolly has the tools but their new GUI is absolutely horendous, everything I learned in high school and college went out the window with that stupid new GUI

Yeah it still has all the old functionality, and more, it's just a total PITA to figure out where they put the buttons. One nice thing with 2010 is you can edit the ribbon easily (you could in 2007 with aftermarket software), though I haven't tried it yet, I just keep on using Word 2003 with all my custom buttons and macros. :) I've been using PP a lot lately and it's not as bad as Word!