The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

The "half-empty/half-full" poll got me thinking...and now I've come to the conclusion: I'm done.

This team has NO IDENTITY at this point in the season. The PP is atrocious. Staal looks lost on most nights since the first of the year. Defense? What's that? Wow, we have a lead? That's not right, we're supposed to lose by a goal, remember?

I look back at what teams made serious moves at the deadline and I come to the conclusion that, other than getting Stillman back (which has produced some decent results), JR laid a massive egg on that day. For starters, he got the wrong defenseman from Florida...Dennis Wideman was the better of the pics. I was hoping and praying he'd go after Arnott from the Devils...nope...the Craps got him...and look at the results he's helped them produce.

Where's the lightning in a bottle JR captured two seasons ago when he grabbed Jussi? Where's that killer instinct these guys had the back half of last season when they went on a complete tear through the league even though there was no way in hell they were gonna make the playoffs? Did Rod or Wizard really give the team that identity that they have so glaringly lacked this year?

Either way, I love these guys to death...and I am never gonna stop cheering for them. But the past few games have made it clear that they aren't playing for a playoff spot. The Rangers and Slugs have kept the door open for these guys to seize the 8th and 7th seed for the past three weeks...and yet they refuse to walk through the door.

JR...you're the GM for a reason...for the love of everything Caniac red, white and black...DO SOMETHING this offseason, cause it's pretty clear now that a good deal of the moves this season have not worked at all.

Cmon now. I felt the same way after last nights tough loss but you gotta keep the perspective that this is still a rebuilding year and maybe your expectations are too high.

Having said that this years team is still very much in the running for a playoff spot. I'll be there tonight and gotta have the attitude that the guys can start on a winning streak. To quote a former basketball coach from my alma mater, "never give up"

Please explain the "this is still a rebuilding year" comment in detail. Because I don't see it, and I don't think that's ANY kid of valid excuse for what is transpiring on the ice.

I keep hearing people say "what do yo expect from a team full of rookies?"

This is a veteran team, and while many of them are rather young, they all have 3 or more years experience except for McBain, Skinner, and whichever Checker gets a few 4th line minutes on the occasional night. There are never more than 3 rookies out there.

Calling this season a rebuild, hints at this team looking a lot different next season. It's not going to. Rutherford will be bringing back 85% of this team. The only players I expect to lose are Dwyer and Harrison. The worst canes player this season, Chad LaRose will most likely re signed again over the summer. Please define exactly where the rebuild is happening.

Cmon now. I felt the same way after last nights tough loss but you gotta keep the perspective that this is still a rebuilding year and maybe your expectations are too high.

Having said that this years team is still very much in the running for a playoff spot. I'll be there tonight and gotta have the attitude that the guys can start on a winning streak. To quote a former basketball coach from my alma mater, "never give up"

Dear Sanhill

No disprect intended in this reply but to your point, how many State Fans wish that State would have a consistent quality team year in year out (note that does not mean winning the ACC or NCAA championships each year) that played quality basketball and grew in ability and success? I think the same principles apply to the Canes. I for one do not expect a Stanley Cup, Conference or even Division flag each year. What I do expect when I pay my hard earned dollars for this entertainment is that management, coaching and the team are committed AND WILL EXECUTE to their best abilities. That means showing fire, leadership and progress. And that they are held to and accept accountability for their actions rather then offer excuses. We do not get that at this point.

I sm not quite resdy to throw in the towel on this season. The Slug and the Leaf games next week will tell if the Canes are positioned for a playoff run. If the lead between the Canes and the Slugs remains the same or becomes closer, I believe the Canes have a good chance at the playoff. If the lead grows to four points or more, their playoff chances become grim indeed.

Edited by colliefan

It's not too great of an excuse, but you certainly can't deny the fact that we are still in the process of rebuilding. These guys, while not all rookies, are young and most of them have yet to experience the NHL playoffs. We have a number of guys coming through the system. This is a rebuilding time still. I don't understand really what expectations anyone could possibly be having right now that these canes aren't at least close to. Yeah they don't look great now but look to the future; this team is going to be really good very soon.

I hope they make the playoffs so they can obtain some experience but I'm certainly not expecting a cup or really even a second round appearance. Never throw in the towel on a season, anything's possible still.

This team has preformed up to my expectations, but unfortunately never been able to get on a hot streak to get up around 5 or 6. I said that they would compete hard for a playoff spot, & they have done that.

They need to find that extra gear, but I just don't see it. It is not for a lack of effort it just seems to not be there. My heart is still hoping for some late season Caniac magic, but my head tells a different story.

I have to agree with the Kahuna's above comments. Everyone keeps referring to this season as a rebuilding season for the Canes. I just don't see it. If it was a true rebuilding year, the Canes would have had half of the Checkers roster up for the entire season playing 15-20 minutes a night to gain experience and a few more of the vets would have been traded away for more prospects and draft picks. McBain and Skinner are the only real young players playing their first full season. Tlusty is another young player, but he already played in the league with Toronto. I think the Canes should have just played the Checker call-ups much more this year. They would have been better served next season and beyond. The 5 minutes a night most of the players received this year when they arrived was not enough to showcase anything. Most played on the 4th line, but most are projected to be among the top 9 forwards. They were never really given the chance to succeed.

Personally I would call this year a transition year and not a rebuilding year. The team slashed payroll and some of the fixtures of the team for the past 4-5 years moved on. If the team doesn't qualify for the playoffs, I wouldn't blame it on the "rebuilding year with all the rookies in the line-up" because that simply is not true despite what we have been lead to believe. The Canes will miss the playoffs because some of the players who were being counted on to produce and be major players for the team this year, have had bad years. I also think the trade of Babchuk and Kostopouls to Calgary was a horrible deal for JR. Major miscalculation on his part.

I've thrown in the towel on our coaching staff but not the team.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. I'd suggest a suggestion box where fans can submit new plays to attempt on the PP. I would also support signing Rod solely to take faceoffs for the duration of the season.

I'm never throwing in the towel on the team...just this season...tonight proves that this team doesn't have "it."

If we were in contention all season long and then suddenly dropped out of a playoff spot I could understand some of the pessimism. But truth is, we have been hanging around 9th and 10th all season and only got a wiff at a playoff spot for one lousy week, not because our play was so great but because other teams sucked worse. We are back where we were and probably belong.

You're right Whaler...but that's part of the greater problem.

Tonight, for example: another one-goal loss...another shortie scored on us...0 for FREAKING 9 on the power play...

I'd really like to see Dalpe and Boychuck up on the team full-time next year on the 2nd/3rd line. They've played pretty damn well when called up. I also wish we'd quit the dump and chase. We have enough skilled players to bring the puck into the zone.

I'm not giving up yet, but its really starting to feel like its slipping away. If Staal isn't going, the offense simply doesn't go. It's been that way since the Cup year. Regardless of this season, we need to bolster our top line next year and get a 3rd line center so Sutter isn't the checking line/shut-down guy.

Buffalo LOST today, and the Rags are in a tough battle with San Jose. Whether or not they win, we'll still be within TWO points (ONE VICTORY) from getting back in 8th.

So no, not throwing in the towel just yet.

Do't think the Csnes are going to catch the Slugs. But I do believe they own the tie-breaker over the Rags. The motto "win and they are in" still applies.

well, not sure ,but if first tie breaker is total wins, rangers have that over us, we cant catch them there.. fallen, special kudos for u, for keeping the faith last night, even though we came up short.. im going to see how it plays out, and root and not get upset if we lose, it is a game..who am i to say ,if someone isnt giving 100 percent , im not in the locker room.. go canes!

0 for 9 on the PP when your fighting for a playoff spot. That is absolutely amazing. But maybe it's not a bad thing to miss the playoffs. I have a feeling we would only be playing 4 games. Maybe hell will freeze over and the canes will sign a big name free agent. haha yeah right.

Being a huge fan of the most frustrating team in the nhl is not easy.

GO CANES

well, not sure ,but if first tie breaker is total wins, rangers have that over us, we cant catch them there.. fallen, special kudos for u, for keeping the faith last night, even though we came up short.. im going to see how it plays out, and root and not get upset if we lose, it is a game..who am i to say ,if someone isnt giving 100 percent , im not in the locker room.. go canes!

The first tiebreaker is wins, but they don't count shootout wins. Because of that, the 'Canes still only trail the Rangers by 1 in the win column. They're right there to be caught, but the 'Canes eventually need to get their act together. I think the next two games against Buffalo and Toronto will tell the tale for this season.

Wining the next two games are key to having the Canes keep any hope of having any playoff hopes. The playoff prognostication gives them just a 28% of making the playoffs. With just 13 games left and neededing 18 points, the Canes need to have a record of 8-3-2. It's looking as if the Canes will be out of the playoffs by my b-day (3/18). Lousy B-day present!!!!

The Canes need to go 9-3 to finish out the season. They won't make it 6-6 in my opinion.

Wining the next two games are key to having the Canes keep any hope of having any playoff hopes. The playoff prognostication gives them just a 28% of making the playoffs. With just 13 games left and neededing 18 points, the Canes need to have a record of 8-3-2. It's looking as if the Canes will be out of the playoffs by my b-day (3/18). Lousy B-day present!!!!

I think both of you are about right with respect to the record. It really is an uphill battle at this point. I think we'll need 89-90 points.

Realistically, I don't see this team making the playoffs. No way the Rangers, Sabres, Devils, Leafs, etc all tank again. The Canes are the ONLY team in the running that can't string together back to back wins.