The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

After last night, I have to agree. The playoffs are a long shot now IMO. The Canes would have to depend on the teams in front to lose and we would have to probably win out. Not likely.

Even if we did make it, we would only face teams we could barely get points on all season anyway in Washington, Boston or Philly.

There is something missing from this team. When the defense seemed bad all year, they went out and got a couple of new guys, but the result is the same.

The team has been pretty healthy all year, while the other teams in the race are more banged up but are finding ways to win.

There just seems to be no magic this season. Even when the Canes have a third period lead, I just sit back and wait for the late tying goal, and hope they can make it to OT for a point.

It's pretty sad when the game winner in a crucial tilt like last night is an empty netter from 180 feet.

Staal has got to be stronger on the puck and not just let it go when he gets poke checked or bumped. Maybe he is not 100%.

The long floaters or wristers to the far high glove side were beating Ward 2 years ago, I don't know why he slides across to the short side and exposes that far side again. Not sure if he can be the workhorse the Canes need him to be, this might be signs of fatigue.

On the plus side, Skinner is exciting to watch and Cole seems to have better legs under him than when he was a rookie. Corvo seems capable of more minutes and still has a great shot. He just has to work on hitting the net with it. And no doubt, this is a hard working team from one end of the lineup to the other.

I figure if we lose any one of the next two games, then it is safe to throw in the towel. I wonder were we would be if Jim Rutherford would of signed Ray Whitney. :unsure:

Once the Canes are offically eliminated from the playoffs I would like to see Peters be given extended playing time in the net. Just to give him more experience and to see if the Canes need to shop for a back-up goalie for next year. In the mean-time we need to enjoy the games left on the schedule as it is a long way 'tll next season.

Buffalo won today.

It is slipping away.

Canes are going to have to have a serious winning record, 10-3, 9-2-2, something like that.

I figure if we lose any one of the next two games, then it is safe to throw in the towel. I wonder were we would be if Jim Rutherford would of signed Ray Whitney. :unsure:

$3 million dollars deeper in dept. Let bygones be bygones. It wouldn't have helped, it didn't help last season! Where was Ray Whitney when the Canes really needed to win games late last season? He produced NOTHING in the Canes last 20 games. He went completely AWOL after the trade deadline.

So what "EXCUSES" are the best for "THIS YEARS Team" not living up to "EXPECTATIONS" of what we had hoped for?

Coaching, Upper Management,Lack Of Chemistry/Effort, System,???All of the Above?? Thoughts?

Let's all recall JR's summer comments: "We'll be a competitive non-playoff hockey team."

Those were the expectations of our GM for this team. And they are true. Right now we're competitive (what, 41, 42 one goal games?) and we're not a playoff team. Is it frustrating as all get out? Yes. Is it meeting the expectations of management? Unfortunately, yes.

And while you can argue that this is a team of experienced personnel, with only a few rookies, you cannot argue that this is a team in re-build.

To mention a few:

- This is Staal's first full year as Captain

- Cole and Ruutu were both injured for a large portion of the season last year

- Several key players are in different roles this year (Ruutu, Jokinen on the 2nd line center, Sutter playing 3rd line center)

- Obvious roles of McBain, Skinner, Tlusty playing full seasons

- Cam returning from injury-plagued season to be the work-horse again

I would say it's still too early to throw in the towel. We're in 9th, we're 4 points back, and we have 13 games left. There's a month of hockey to be played. But it is frustrating to have the door opened to us and not be able to walk through.

We are so attuned to seeing the Canes finish strong (even last season). I indicated earlier this season that sites such as ESPN were ranking us higher, saying things like "the Canes always have a great 2nd half." But the problem is, those strong 2nd half Canes teams had a different, more veteran, more experienced dynamic.

It's clear this team is still learning how to deal with the pressure of being in the hunt. It's also clear that this experience will only make this team stronger.

, let me be the optimistic one.. ok, we beat sabres tomorrow nite, 2 back, and 3 winnable games at home, i mentioned it in another thread. THIS IS THE SEASON TOMORROW NITE, we all know it.. canes pull out a win in regulation, back in the race, if not we look forward to next year, so even though im in, throw in towel thread, the towel is still on the rack for today... give us a reason to believe canes..!

my apology to manwolf, for saying what are u 12?? My emotions got the best of me.. Now, if u are indeed 12 [humour here] let me know :)and i will retract statement

Personnally giving up while there is still a chance is not in my nature. Everyone has different tolerances. I hope the players on the team do not think like this.

But as is always true the blame game starts quickly. I vote to blame the fans.

I'll say this. If this team makes the playoffs now, they will deserve it. They will now need to grab at least 18 points in 13 games, which is 9-4. While I was not excited about this team in the playoffs before, I can now say I will be excited if we make it. We'll be the required level of HOT.

Unfortunately, we are now the COLDEST team in the east over the last 10, tied with the lowly fire-sale cats at 3-5-2, but they have a 1 game winning streak.

I don't throw in the towel until I hear the woman with a large tone-chamber singing, but I do believe I hear her warming up in the wings.

Here is still hoping for original scenario. 9-4 will downright inspire me.

test

...and your post magically appears on a new page once another post is made.

*sigh*

There's always hope until the Canes are mathematically eliminated but the direction they're heading in isn't a good one. That said, win the next two games and I bet this thread gets very quiet. ;)

I think a lot of us have forgotten that this team WAS NOT suppose to be competing for a playoff spot this year. The resurgence of Cole, the surprise of the "Caniac Kid" Skinner and the play of our Captain has pushed the time-table on this team. Now the season has caught up on our youth. (I won't touch the "lack of powerplay").

Whether or not this team makes the playoffs or not, I am proud of the glimpse of the future holds for this team.

That is not to say I am giving up on the possibility of playoffs this year.

Yeah, they're not going to make it. I hope I'm wrong and I'm not "throwing in the towel", but after the past two games, where they battled their *edit* off (i thought) in winnable games, putting up a ton of shots on goal and still coming up short, I just don't see it happening. Hell, Washington almost seemed like they wanted to lose.

Guess we'll see, but I'm no longer holding out much faith. Things just don't seem to break their way, for whatever reasons.

Edited by antame

Well tonight's the night. If we lose tonight I will officially flip to glass half empty. We really needed that Columbus game. Winning in Buffalo won't be easy, but while not mathematically a must, practically it is. The problem I see is not so much the back to backs, since 3/4 are vs. teams also back to back. The problem I see is that our particular team and style seems nearly incapable of beating good teams, and certainly not running of a streak against them. We have built our record beating bad teams and squeaking out the occasional OT loss to the good teams.

We have Buff/Tor both playing well now. Tampa x 3, Washington on the road, Buffalo (again) , and Detroit.

That's 8 games vs. good teams. Leaving 4 against poor teams. This team is not likely to sweep the 4 bad teams either.

So I think in reality we probably need to sweep this back to back. That will be tough because Toronto will be rested.

Even if we sweep these two, we are going to have to find a way to get 2 points from at least half of those games vs. better teams. Even with good efforts that will be difficult.

I guess I'm sounding half empty. But not quite yet. Tonight will decide.

You're right Whaler...but that's part of the greater problem.

Tonight, for example: another one-goal loss...another shortie scored on us...0 for FREAKING 9 on the power play...

and 0 for 2 on 3 on 5's

Well guys...just when you had a glimmer of hope, they go out and give the door a resounding slam. Aargh...this has got to be the most frustrating Canes team I've seen in a decade.

Towel is officially in hand but I have not let it go yet...need to beat the Isles AND Sens this weekend or we're done for. 11 games to go, 7 at home...6-1 on home ice and 3-1 on the road gets us 92 pts. and we are definately in. I think there is room for one or two more losses there but that's it. We absolutely need 7 of the last 11.

Rangers have 5 of their last 11 on the road and home games against Bos, Mon & NJ with roadies against Pit., Philly, Buf. and Bos. Not an easy schedule to end the season.

Buffalo has 7 at home and 5 on the road to finnish up. Road games against Car, Mon, Wash, Col, and Tor. (that is 5 tough games) and home against TB, NYR, Phi, Nash, Atl and Fla.

If we find a way to get 7 of 11 and Buffalo goes .500, Buffalo gets in as result of the tiebreaker (rule change with most regular season wins taking the higher spot).

Of course, Toronto is hanging around as well but their schedule is brutal 7 of 11 on the road and all the home games are really tough Was., Mon., Buf, Bos

Towel is officially in hand but I have not let it go yet...need to beat the Isles AND Sens this weekend or we're done for. 11 games to go, 7 at home...6-1 on home ice and 3-1 on the road gets us 92 pts. and we are definately in. I think there is room for one or two more losses there but that's it. We absolutely need 7 of the last 11.

Rangers have 5 of their last 11 on the road and home games against Bos, Mon & NJ with roadies against Pit., Philly, Buf. and Bos. Not an easy schedule to end the season.

Buffalo has 7 at home and 5 on the road to finnish up. Road games against Car, Mon, Wash, Col, and Tor. (that is 5 tough games) and home against TB, NYR, Phi, Nash, Atl and Fla.

If we find a way to get 7 of 11 and Buffalo goes .500, Buffalo gets in as result of the tiebreaker (rule change with most regular season wins taking the higher spot).

Of course, Toronto is hanging around as well but their schedule is brutal 7 of 11 on the road and all the home games are really tough Was., Mon., Buf, Bos

Pretty good analysis, but I believe if anyone is going to oust Buffalo or the Rangers it will be the Devils. If they win their 2 games in hand they are tied with us, and they are so red hot it is scary. If either Buffalo or NY falter, I think Jersey will take it.

I've got to agree with Legend. I've thrown the towel in on the coaching. Even weeks ago, we would enter a shell with a 1 goal lead and attempt to ride it for as much as a period and a half. You can't win by defense alone, and Coach Mo after all these years still seems to have teams that play that way. We are not built for the Trap.

Its been obvious at times that players were creating things offensively (LaRose, etc...) and for some reson we can't seem to find any ice time for them. That has to change. Cole is not known for his power play work, but at least hes making things happen. Find a way to get him on the power play. Skinner who I think is great, has equally no business on the power plays top line. He is neither strong enough to dig the puck, nor is he good enough to distribute it (yet) or big enough to screen a goalie. Put him on the 2nd unit or off until he learns and grows.

In my opnion we've got 1 center on the entire team that can distribute the puck and thats Brandon Sutter, maybe Jusi. We've morphed from a team that can distribute the puck and make other teams pay(Rod, Matt Cullen, Stillman[on Staal Line]) to a team that seems to have 7-9 wingers on its top 3 lines. If we don't get a top 2 or 3rd line puck distributing center next year it will be sadness all over again.

Finally, when the heat has been on we've crawled into our shells. This team has played its best all year when it finished its checks and had people looking over their shoulders. In the big games over the last 10 days thats not occured. The personality of THIS team is when everyone is hitting we are good. It's not 2006, and this team is too YOUNG to hold onto 1 goal leads for 30 minutes. Tilt the ice. I'd rather be in the other teams end with a lead then have them in ours for cycle after cycle.

I've got to say when I sit down and try to think of games we've won this year and were clearly the inferior team its difficult to recall them. At some point you've got to beat a team or two ahead of you (and better than you) in the standings and coaching makes that happen. Were at best coached average, obtaining average things. Look at what happened in New Jersey if you want to see what poor vs good coaching can do.

Tend to believe the Devils have a greater chance of making the playoffs than do the Canes. Simple reason is the Devils believe in themselves and are playing as a team. The Canes are playing as a collection of individuals.