The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

Tend to believe the Devils have a greater chance of making the playoffs than do the Canes. Simple reason is the Devils believe in themselves and are playing as a team. The Canes are playing as a collection of individuals.

I actually think the Devils are more likely to make the playoffs than Toronto, the Hurricanes, or even Buffalo, and if they do make it, I would NOT want to the team facing them in the first round (hello, Philadelphia, Washington ... ). If the Capitals do take first place in the east, and NJ makes it into 8th I would predict the Capitals making yet another early round exit. Philly might have a better chance, but still, if NJ gets in, they will be a formidable foe - and will deserve to be there.

On topic for this particular thread - making the playoffs or not, for me, does not a successful season make for the Hurricanes - this season. I never expected them to get into the playoffs - period. I actually wish they had never moved into a playoff spot, albeit for the short time they did. If they hadn't, maybe people's hopes would not have gotten so high (unrealistically, IMO). The team is pretty much where I (and alot of other people who know a whole lot more about hockey, and this team than I do!) thought they would be. In the hunt, but hunting. The lack of scoring recently worries me a little, but I think that is another symptom of growing pains, or maybe the better term is learning pains. I know there are those here who dislike the term rebuilding year. I would saying it is a building year - as in something to build from.

I see a whole lot more reason for hope as a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes for seasons to come than I believe I would if I were a fan of say Florida, Edmonton, Atlanta, the Islanders, or other teams - for any number of reasons. This is a good, young team with a good, long, and IMO, bright future.

Go Canes!

I see a whole lot more reason for hope as a fan of the Carolina Hurricanes for seasons to come than I believe I would if I were a fan of say Florida, Edmonton, Atlanta, the Islanders, or other teams - for any number of reasons. This is a good, young team with a good, long, and IMO, bright future.

I do believe the Canes have enough young talent. But I do not believe they have the coaching staff to lead them into the Promised Land of the Stanley Cup.

I do believe the Canes have enough young talent. But I do not believe they have the coaching staff to lead them into the Promised Land of the Stanley Cup.

AMEN to that fact !!!

I actually think the Devils are more likely to make the playoffs than Toronto, the Hurricanes, or even Buffalo, and if they do make it, I would NOT want to the team facing them in the first round (hello, Philadelphia, Washington ... ). If the Capitals do take first place in the east, and NJ makes it into 8th I would predict the Capitals making yet another early round exit. Philly might have a better chance, but still, if NJ gets in, they will be a formidable foe - and will deserve to be there.

2006, the New Jersey devils win 15 games in a row to getting into the playoffs against the Rangers who they beat 4-0 for a 19 game win streak.

Very, very few gave the Canes any chance of beating the Devils although we were the second seed.

The Hurricanes proceeded to bit*h slap the Devils 4 games to 1.

With everybody on the planet agreeing that this team can't compare to the 2006 Canes, anything can and very often does happen in the playoffs.

If we get hot or if enough of the right teams play bad, we might luck in. If we do, I'd going to love every minute of it.

Here's the question: Say Mo gets fired (again). Do you guys still want Franchise on the bench?

I'd like to see a wholesale change in the organization from a coaching standpoint. I, honestly, wouldn't mind giving Daniels a shot for a year to see if he has it at this level. He consistently does well with a revolving door of AHL players and has built the Checkers into a solid team year in and year out. Look at what Boucher is doing for the Lightening and he had no previous NHL coaching experience. Too many people with ties to the organization makes for bad hockey in my opinion (unless you're Detroit.)

I'd like to see a wholesale change in the organization from a coaching standpoint. I, honestly, wouldn't mind giving Daniels a shot for a year to see if he has it at this level. He consistently does well with a revolving door of AHL players and has built the Checkers into a solid team year in and year out. Look at what Boucher is doing for the Lightening and he had no previous NHL coaching experience. Too many people with ties to the organization makes for bad hockey in my opinion (unless you're Detroit.)

Rowe did the same thing, it's a big change in the NHL. As you can see Rowe is struggling in the big show.

I don't discount that. Some have it and some don't. The main thing is where else do you go? Former players don't do well usually. There's not a lot of successful coaches lining up to leave their current teams to try their hand in Carolina for whatever dippity do salary Karmanos will pay them. We lost our Cup winning coach. So do we stick with mediocre Mo and be satisfied with almost getting there forever? I say give Daniels a go, at least he knows the players he'll be coaching, since some of them actually came from our system.

Daniels has shown he can put together a winning team in Charlotte. Francis may be a Hall of Fame player but this hasn't translated to the bench.

Daniels has shown he can put together a winning team in Charlotte. Francis may be a Hall of Fame player but this hasn't translated to the bench.

Some players don't make that transfer, even "The Great One" didn't do too well behind the bench in Phoenix. I wonder what kind of coach Rod Brind'Amour would make?

I agree that none of the current crew seems to know how to get to the next level. I'd be tempted to say Daniels, but he's yet another guy from the same mold as most of the rest, a Canes lifer who's never left. We need someone who's proved himself outside the organization if not from completely outside (oooh, scary thought for JR/PK).

What about Kevin Dineen? He's done pretty well up in Portland and it doesn't look like Ruff is going anywhere. Considering how well former Whalers have done coaching and JR's loving "family" connections, I'd be looking hard at him. A little surprised he hasn't moved up yet, though he almost got hired in CBJ (shudder).

If Buffalousy wins today, after the Rangers won earlier, I will have to join the camp of "it's all over but the crying". That's a hole this team simply won't be able to climb out of. The Rangers are now perfectly safe in 7th.

As long as there is a chance that we can make it, I'm not throwing in the towel.

Was that before or after the Sabres just scored those 2 goals? ;)

If Nashville doesn't make a big comeback in the 3rd it's gonna be really, really tough. Staying no farther than 2 points back heading into the game against them in Raleigh is going to be big.

EDIT:: Sabres lost in OT after the Predators came back to tie it. They still pick up a point and move 3 points ahead of us, but at least they didn't pick up a full 4 points. Still allows us to take care of business against teams we need to beat and keep us in striking distance heading into that big showdown in Raleigh coming up in April.

Edited by rollinsox007

EDIT:: Sabres lost in OT after the Predators came back to tie it. They still pick up a point and move 3 points ahead of us, but at least they didn't pick up a full 4 points. Still allows us to take care of business against teams we need to beat and keep us in striking distance heading into that big showdown in Raleigh coming up in April.

With the Sabres now 3 points up in 8th I think the Fat Lady is warming up her voice at the RBC ... the Canes will be playing golf on April 10th ! Canes have a tough ending schedule ... with 10 games to go they've got Tampa 3 times, Detroit, the Caps, Buffaslugs and Montreal each once for 7 of them. ( yeh I'm dumb enough to assume they should beat the Senators, Islanders and Atalanta, but who knows !! )

I don't see the Canes gaining ground on their current 9th slot. I figure they end 3 - 5 - 2 at best, so there's a better chance of 10th or 11th.

They are done playing hockey after April 9th.

I just wish JR could see beyond his rosey colored glasses to make the coaching changes required to allow the Canes to become a winner again someday. It will never happen with Mediocre Mo behind the bench. NEVER !

MO GOTTA GO, ( please ) !

I don't believe we're at all done yet. We have a few games left we absolutely should win, and they have a few left. Not sure what BUF's schedule is, but we play TBL and DET once right at the end of the season for a total of 2 of our final 3 games after that huge Buffalo game. If we're still in a position to make the playoffs after that Buffalo game I feel like we have a good shot. TBL and DET will have a spot locked up by the final 3 games and could easily be resting players by that time, allowing us a better chance to beat them. Also I feel like we match up well with TB, they are one of the few teams in the league who's defense has been worse than ours our all year and I'll take Ward in an all out offensive game anytime. We just need to take care of business against teams we should beat and Staal needs to start scoring.

Edited by rollinsox007

Playoff talk now is just that, talk. Ottawa, Tampa, Tampa, Washington, and Montreal. The question is are we good enough to hold the ninth position?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Playoffs not happening in Raleigh this season, sorry but that's the cold hard truth. With only 10 games, the hole is too big now. Buffalo is playing well, the Canes still cant string together wins.

Playoffs not happening in Raleigh this season, sorry but that's the cold hard truth. With only 10 games, the hole is too big now. Buffalo is playing well, the Canes still cant string together wins.

sorry, while less "less likely" the door is not shut yet, definite statements today pretty meaningless it can be anyone 's opinion we will or will not make it, but that's just meaningless opinion, nothing is set yet.. and one good week by canes and one bad week by sabres and everyone is singing a different tune

Edited by canes-in-7

But...here's where my opinion is based on facts. This team hasn't strung together a good week since December. To suddenly expect them to NOW start winning back to back games....is overly optimistic. The Rangers are out of reach. Period. The Sabres are only 3 points ahead, but the Canes still have to win at least 2 games more than the Sabres. If the Sabres play .500 hockey for their last 10 games, the Canes need to win at least 7. Winning 7 out of 10, now you see my pessimism! I think the Sabres have the tie-breakers, but I haven't looked lately. People get hung up on "it's only 3 points" But it's way more complicated, and a lot harder than that.

Edited by TheBigKahuna

But...here's where my opinion is based on facts.This team hasn't strung together a good week since December. To suddenly expect them to NOW start winning back to back games....is overly optimistic. The Rangers are out of reach. Period. The Sabres are only 3 points ahead, but the Canes still have to win at least 2 games more than the Sabres. If the Sabres play .500 hockey for their last 10 games, the Canes need to win at least 7. Winning 7 out of 10, now you see my pessimism! I think the Sabres have the tie-breakers, but I haven't looked lately. People get hung up on "it's only 3 points" But it's way more complicated, and a lot harder than that.

Still an "opinion" and no matter the 'facts".. Any given sunday( or in hockey, any given day), despite the facts saying "team A will win".. very often it doesn't despite the facts..

Agree its optimistic an hence the "less likely with each loss", but a blanket "there will not be playoff's" isn't a fact, just an opinion that may or may not come true. And we need to earn ONE , yes ONE lousy more point than the sabres over the last 9 games( besides the game againt them) and beat them at home( we own the tiebraker because of less shoot out wins, hich are deducted in case of a tie)- isn't all that Daunting a task.You can be 100% pessmimstic or even 100% optimistic, and *all* will still be just a person's opinion and not FACT , sorry

heck if "facts" were all it took, the 18-0 patriots kill the 11-7 Giants in the Superbowl, the 2005-2006 NHL season, we are playing detriot for the Cup right? I mean the facts said edmoton as the 8th seed stood no chance in a 7 game series agaisnt detriot right? I mean there was all the facts showing no way detriot loses, right?

and in 2007-2008, new jersey has won like 19 in a row heading into the series with an underwhelming hurricanes team, so all facts pointing to a blowout win by the read hot devils and so the devils won, because all the facts pointed to that , right?

So again despite the "facts" saying something, its still just an Opinion and not a fact or 100% certainity.