The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

Nothing gained, nothing lost last night, well, they did lose a game out of the 10. Everyone they are fighting won also. The amount of games to gain points slips a little further.

stay positive my friend

been a STH since greensboro.. seen the good(2001- the ovation at end of jersey series still chokes me up 2001,2002,2006 and 2009 playoffs) the bad( anson carter owning us in playoffs in greensboro,needing ONe game in 2008 for the playoffs and losing it to crapitals) the UGLY( the drape of death in greensboro, steve chiasson,the last place and 6,000 fans in feb games in 2004,lockout) and many moe memories in all 3 states of affairs.. I'll always cheer my heart out for them and will always be optimistic as a fan

Speaking of optimism... did you know

Speaking of optimism... did you know

awesome! like that! and agree with alot of what underlies it:

We tend to look at optimistic people as those with their heads 'in-the-clouds' - out of touch with reality. However, we know from our research that optimistic people are not always smiling and chipper - they get mad and angry. However, they don't get stuck in their emotions and they have been found to be better at doing one thing then those with a different attitude or outlook on life.

They are better at problem-solving - they move quickly from problem-identification to problem-solving. They believe that situations will work out, so they spend their time and energy on making these situations work, rather than focusing on their own emotional reactions.

Personal optimism correlates strongly with self-esteem, with psychological well-being and with physical and mental health. (Scheier, Carver) Optimism has been shown to be correlated with better immune systems in healthy people who have been subjected to stress. (Segerstrom, Taylor, Kemeny, Fahey)

Research suggests that optimism significantly predicts rates of recovery, such that optimists are faster in achieving behavioural milestones, such as sitting up in bed and walking, than are pessimists, and are rated by staff members as showing a better physical recovery. Even at six-month follow-ups, optimists still continued to have a recovery advantage.

While 90 points was the predominate number that SportsClubStats had as the >50% chance of making the playoffs, the recent winning streak of NY and good play from Buffalo notched it up now to 91 points as of Wednesday morning. So we need 13 points over the last 9 to hit 91. OR for the pessimists, we cannot have more than 5 points lost, i.e. more than 2.5 losses...

So 6-2-1 is the rock bottom we can do, unless something wacky happens.

While 90 points was the predominate number that SportsClubStats had as the >50% chance of making the playoffs, the recent winning streak of NY and good play from Buffalo notched it up now to 91 points as of Wednesday morning. So we need 13 points over the last 9 to hit 91. OR for the pessimists, we cannot have more than 5 points lost, i.e. more than 2.5 losses...

So 6-2-1 is the rock bottom we can do, unless something wacky happens.

I've seen the 7-2 must record thrown around a lot lately...and as bad as that sounds to some people, it's most likely a realistic scenario.

It's called being realistic, as in "Pessimist expect the worst scenario....Realist expect the most reasonable and realistic out come and can accept that what happens happened...Optimist expect the best out come, regardless of circumstances. With that said:

keeprealmyfirend.png

For me it's not pessimism or optimism, so I think realism is a good way of putting it.

I'm much more of a numbers/probability guy.

Here is the best way for me to put it. If someone told me I needed to put down money in Vegas on the 'Canes making the playoffs, I think I would need 3-1 odds now before I would make the bet. That's realism.

I don't begrudge anyone hope. I have it too. I just don't think it is going to pan out.

Hate to break it to you guys. But the chances of us making the playoffs went out the window 2 weeks ago when we dropped 4 straight.

Or 4-9 in February, or that 2-7 stretch back in November, etc.

Regardless of when. We are done guys. Don't get your hopes up because you will only be let down. Do you really think this team can put together 7 to 8 straight wins with how they have played as of late? Deep down do you really think they can do that? I KNOW they can't.

Regardless of when. We are done guys. Don't get your hopes up because you will only be let down. Do you really think this team can put together 7 to 8 straight wins with how they have played as of late? Deep down do you really think they can do that? I KNOW they can't.

you're just being pissy cuz the dookies threw in the towel with 15 minutes to go last night, As long as the Canes have a chance I believe they can do it. I will put no faith in the fact that buffalo is better than us, not today and not ever.

Sure it's hope. You don't have to be genius to see that things are going to have to break right and the odds are against us. This team has not shown the chops to really go on a nice run against top teams. Not really, but then again, we've won two in a row and you never know.

The point is that it is far more likely than it ever was last year, yet people wanted to keep on keeping on last year, despite the dropping draft pick. Now, as it turns out that draft pick thing worked out pretty good so in the end I can't complain about that.

Anyway, yes, it will take a nice run. How nice depends on the Rangers/Sabres do, though mostly the Sabres at this point.

While I completely agree that I would not bet the house on our playoff chances, three points out with 9 to go including one at home vs Buffalo is far from a long shot.

The next 4 games will likely tell the tale. If the team follows the trend they will get 2-3 points or less out of those 4 games, and unless Buffalo falters, it will be over but the crying.

But if we steal this one tonight (ok, not likely, but it could happen), then finish strong at home tomorrow. Then carry the Momentum into Washington and get at least one point, then take care of MTL at home and the Islanders, we might go into the Buffalo game tied. But realistically at least go in a point or two down. Buffalo has to play Washington the day before they travel here.

OK it's a tough road, but it is doable.

We shall never surrender! At least not quite yet.

being the optimist, im not looking at 4 game losing streak, or what happenend in feb, its march-april, and its doable.. need win in tampa tonight,TAMPA is 2-4-2 last 10, so, lets give the dice a roll and see what...happens.. and cant believe duke fell apart.. killed my pool.. unless UNC wins it all.. go cardiac canes!

being the optimist, im not looking at 4 game losing streak, or what happenend in feb, its march-april, and its doable.. need win in tampa tonight,TAMPA is 2-4-2 last 10, so, lets give the dice a roll and see what...happens.. and cant believe duke fell apart.. killed my pool.. unless UNC wins it all.. go cardiac canes!

Tampa is slumping. If the Canes come out with jump and get a 2 goal lead early, it could have the same effect on TB that it does to us. Takes the crowd out and makes the team grip their sticks a bit. Cam again will be the difference tonight. If he can frustrate the Bolts early and often, we have a great chance to take this game tonight. A win tonight will give the boys a huge lift coming back home tomorrow night.

In bambam dream land, I see the Canes taking both games this weekend and the slugs dropping both games this weekend. Just like that we are in 8th with a 1 point advantage. It could happen.... :twilight-zone:

The glass IS half full!

Go CANES!!

Realistically the next time the sabres lose three in a row and the canes win three in a row, we will be in. Unless of course we then lose three and buffalo wins three, therein we will be out. Unless we finish with 3 in a row with them losing three in a row, in which case we will be in and the season will actually be over for buffalo. See how this works? its not over till the end or until the points arent there to be earned. there is no point in saying the season is over until it is, no matter how bad you think our team is or is going to play. unless of course thats just an opinion, which is fine, but opinion isn't fact, so....stop talking like it is. like my man KG once said ,"ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Realistically, the next time Buffalo wins and the Canes don't, and Buff gains two more points, it's all over.

And the Rangers, like I've said a few times today, are out of reach.

realistically, the next time the canes win and buffalo doesn't, we gain 2 more points and the home game, next sunday likely decides who wins the 8th spot and it could be over for the sabres

The Sabres have two more wins than the Canes. The Canes simply have to win 2 more games out of the last 9 than the Sabres. The Canes need 4 more points over that 9 game stretch...equal points and The Sabres are in. That's the ONLY realistic scenario there is.

Sabres win: 1 = Canes must win:3

Sabres win: 2 = Canes must win:4

Sabres win: 3 = Canes must win:5

Sabres win:4 = Canes must win:6

Sabres win:5 = Canes must win:7

Sabres win: 6 = Canes must win:8

Sabres win: 7 = Canes must win: all 9

Edited by TheBigKahuna