The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

The Sabres have two more wins than the Canes. The Canes simply have to win 2 more games out of the last 9 than the Sabres. The Canes need 4 more points over that 9 game stretch...equal points and The Sabres are in. That's the ONLY realistic scenario there is.

Sabres win: 1 = Canes must win:3

Sabres win: 2 = Canes must win:4

Sabres win: 3 = Canes must win:5

Sabres win:4 = Canes must win:6

Sabres win:5 = Canes must win:7

Sabres win: 6 = Canes must win:8

Sabres win: 7 = Canes must win: all 9

The win totals are only for regulation and OT. With that in mind, the Sabres only have ONE more win than us in that column (31 vs. 30). So as long as we aren't taking it to a shootout to get the win, we're fine for the tiebreaker.

The head-to-head matchup will likely determine who makes it. The 'Canes win and they're even in win column and have better head-to-head record (assuming they pick up one point more than the Sabres elsewhere). The Sabres win and they've got a cushion in the win column (as well as points) and effectively eliminate the 'Canes from contention.

It's by no means an easy task for the team to accomplish with so little time left, but already counting them out is a little premature.

Edited by Stealth-ch1

By the end of this weekend we will have a better idea to do with our playoff towels. If the Canes stay even or gain ground, we can start waving them. If they lose ground, we can start crying in them.

well to answer , theres always going to be people tending to be negative about people, places, things... go canes go!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go joisey :). evryone has a opinion..

Well boys, after last night and tonight, I think it's safe to say that we are doing an excellent job on holding onto ninth...and that is exactly where we'll finish.

Well boys, after last night and tonight, I think it's safe to say that we are doing an excellent job on holding onto ninth...and that is exactly where we'll finish.

If the Leafs don't bump us to 10th first. Love your optimism though.

I still believe. Buffalo still needs to win their games, and we need to do our part. Not saying we're going to pull it off, but one never knows.

If you're not saying they're going to pull it off, then technically you don't still believe.

It's either one, or the other.

i stand on the side of i think that they can do it. not a great chance, but we have stared that monster in the face before. no one had us pegged to do anything in 2002, not really in 06, and sure as hell not in our last foray into the post season(we really did overachieve a bit on that one).

if we do not make it, jr called it at the beginning of the season. that we were in the race for this long says something of whats coming in a few years.

we have skinner, which no one saw coming last may.

mcbain, well, he is still a rookie, but he has a lot of promise.

we have some decent prospects, and we didnt bomb out like last season(i was on the side of go for the pick, and boy was i wrong).

cole has returned the redeemed wayward son (man his goal last night was sweet).

rosey kinda found his game. strike that. he is good for 15 goals, but that is because he was on the top line(i'll have some of what the guy who made that call was smokin') more than anything else.

i hope we hold on to stiller, it was mentioned on the air last night, its like having another coach in uniform. the reverse side of that is that is a roster spot for someone else used for a vet, but i would take that action.

one of my favorite move this season was getting allen, and to a lesser degree joslin. joslin is a half and half. i can live with that. we needed a real stay at home guy and we got one.

pits is coming back. i know that it was not solely this, but last night was like watching the bad news bears trying to get up the ice at times. he will still make me scream at the tv at times, but no one is perfect.

its early in the am(for me) and i'm not guaranteeing that any of what i wrote makes a whole lot of sense, its just the ramblings of a passionate fan.

peace be upon thee

Derrek

Obviously it's gotten tougher after yesterday. We are not catching the NYR. So it's Buffalo or golf. Buffalo does not seem interested in losing lately, and that is not helping.

But Buffalo does have to play TOR, NYR, WAS, CAR, TAMPA, Philly, Columbus on the road. It is not impossible that they slip and open the door. That's our only chance.

As mentioned in the game day thread our longest win streak of the year is 4, and we did it only once, and not by much margin. Still, we find ourselves in nearly every game, a couple of breaks and a throw caution to the wind style could still do it.

If we just get a two game winning streak and Buffalo losses two, we are one point back with a head to head in Raleigh. Ironically we are both playing back to backs on Tues/Wednesday. We cannot lose any ground over those two games, but realistically we need to do better and pick up two points.

Yes, the odds are stacked, but it is very possible.

Obviously it's gotten tougher after yesterday. We are not catching the NYR. So it's Buffalo or golf. Buffalo does not seem interested in losing lately, and that is not helping.

But Buffalo does have to play TOR, NYR, WAS, CAR, TAMPA, Philly, Columbus on the road. It is not impossible that they slip and open the door. That's our only chance.

As mentioned in the game day thread our longest win streak of the year is 4, and we did it only once, and not by much margin. Still, we find ourselves in nearly every game, a couple of breaks and a throw caution to the wind style could still do it.

If we just get a two game winning streak and Buffalo losses two, we are one point back with a head to head in Raleigh. Ironically we are both playing back to backs on Tues/Wednesday. We cannot lose any ground over those two games, but realistically we need to do better and pick up two points.

Yes, the odds are stacked, but it is very possible.rem, just thinking same thing, we win next two, they lose next 2, and the door opens.. jim v said, just never give up!

While 90 points was the predominate number that SportsClubStats had as the >50% chance of making the playoffs, the recent winning streak of NY and good play from Buffalo notched it up now to 91 points as of Wednesday morning. So we need 13 points over the last 9 to hit 91. OR for the pessimists, we cannot have more than 5 points lost, i.e. more than 2.5 losses...

So 6-2-1 is the rock bottom we can do, unless something wacky happens.

It's now 92 points we need to have a >50% chance. (they both keep winning!)

We need 12 points now with 7 games to go. Tripp said we'll need 6-1 or "to run the table" and he appears to be on the money statistically.

If they run the table I will not drink Guinness for a two months...:rofl:

OK, I'm in too... and painful it would be.

If the Canes run the table & get into the playoffs...I will not drink a beer for the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!

It would be painful, but I would gladly give up beer for three months to see some live playoff hockey.

Edited by rocheccw

The towel is on the floor. It has been thrown.

And dont you dare try to pick it up again.

And what did guiness ever do to you? ..j/k

No use penalizing the elixar of the God's for the Canes good or bad play

Guiness is good. :grin:

I just picked up 4 tickets for the last game of the season, it could be the biggest game of the year, or we could already be out of it. Either way I will be there, cheering for the team.

I just picked up 4 tickets for the last game of the season, it could be the biggest game of the year, or we could already be out of it. Either way I will be there, cheering for the team.

Me too Ichigo...wouldn't miss it... Either way it's gonna be a long summer :)

If the Canes run the table & get into the playoffs...I will not drink a beer for the entire Stanley Cup Playoffs!!!

It would be painful, but I would gladly give up beer for three months to see some live playoff hockey.

are you mad man. 3 months...:D

here is what i give the canes at the beginning of the season. i do not shave till the last second of our season expires. last year was the first time i have grown a beard all the way without trimming or anything. i can grow a beard that grizzly adams would nod his head in appreciation to. im a hillbilly so i'm glad i got the requirement checked off :)

this year, in the idea of i would like my wife to kiss me, i have grown some mean chops instead of a full beard. i miss having a built in napkin but oh well, the sacrifices that we make....LOL. looks like im from the old days gone by, the mutton chops of power. well, im off to start dinner.