The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

are you mad man. 3 months...:D

I didn't think they would beat the crapitals, & now they win for the first time in the 2nd game of a back to back in the last 7 tries.

I stand by my bet!!! Go Canes...Make me give up beer for the entire playoffs. :cheers:

Realistically, the next time Buffalo wins and the Canes don't, and Buff gains two more points, it's all over.

And the Rangers, like I've said a few times today, are out of reach.

Still think the rangers are out of reach? we can catch them before the weekend ends if we sweept the weekend and rag's lose to the philly lavi's sunday :banana:

Still think the rangers are out of reach? we can catch them before the weekend ends if we sweept the weekend and rag's lose to the philly lavi's sunday :banana:

I readily admit I did not forsee the Rangers nor the Sabres slipping up like they have.

I also never expected the Canes to go 4-1 over their last 5. Color me surprised.

But it is still an uphill climb, and the Canes will have to get help to make the playoffs.

And like I've said already, if somehow the Rangers AND the Sabres could slip from playoffs, it would be like Christmas in April. But I'll settle for the Sabres failing to make it, and the Canes getting in. Still 5 HUGE games to go though.

The Canes didn't do themselves any favors taking the game to a SO. Probably means we have to overtake the Slugs in points, as we are two wins back in the first tiebreaker.

I will update the playoff thread with this info as well.

The NHL standings are determined by total points, with the teams ranked in two conferences. If two or more teams are tied in total points, the tie is broken using the following criteria, in order:

1. Wins: Most total wins among the tied teams, excluding games won in the shootout.

2. Head-to-Head Record: Most points in games against each other among the tied teams.

3. Goal Differential: Using the total goals scored during the regular season, the greater positive differential between goals for and against among the tied teams.

4/1 Standings:

7. Buf 87 points, 34 wins (39-5 SO wins)

8. NYR 87 points, 34 wins (41-7 SO wins)

9. Canes 84 points, 32 wins (37-5 SO wins)

Head to Head:

Buf 5 pts - NYR 4 pts

Canes 4 pts - Buf 3 pts (1 game remaining)

Canes 6 pts - NYR 4 pts

Goal Differential:

NYR +32

Buf + 12

Canes -8

I like everything but the goal differential as we win head to head with everything but a reg loss to Buffalo this Sunday.

Hmmm. The math on predicting the tie breakers is tricky. Seems to me if we overcome either Buffalo or NYR in wins, we'll probably be ahead in points also, so it's probably mute. But then again, maybe not. NYR have two more wins but we have a game in hand. So if we win on the Isle we'll be one win back. With Buffalo we have the head to head, so win that and we're one win back. It could go down to the head to head where we have the Rangers at least.

It would seem that a win not in the shootout *means much more to us than either NYR or Buffalo. They can tie their way in almost. We need to GO FOR IT in regulation, especially on Sunday. No playing for the tie. We're better when we do that anyway.

Edit: my bad, I forgot that an OT win is still a win. But we need the Win, way more than the SO win.

Edited by remkin

Corey Stillman brought up the possibility of a team (cough, cough, uh, the Canes) that might come down to a scenario where the team has to pull the goalie in OT to secure the extra non-SO point.

What he didn't say was that the rules say if you do that, and the other team gets an empty netter, you get ZERO points for the game (forfeit the 1 pt for regulation tie).

But think about it, if it comes down to the SO tie breaker, a team will have nothing to lose.

Anyway, to worry about any of this, the Canes first have to win Saturday. One game at a time.

And they all run back in to pick up that thrown towel. LOL

You're not here to start any new crusades again are you?

You're not here to start any new crusades again are you?

I am not understanding. If you mean the crusade to win the cup it is not new.

I am not understanding. If you mean the crusade to win the cup it is not new.

No not that one, this one you posted:

I am no longer willing to see OUR HOUSE be disrespected and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. The April 3 game is a Sunday, 5PM game. It is also one of the STH appreciation games that STH's can buy additional tickets (linkhttp://hurricanes.nh...ge.htm?id=64123). I'll certainly be doing my part to fill up the place.

I hereby issue a challenge to all Caniacs to fill that place up with red on April 3 and drown out the Buffalonians. Put on your big boy or big girl pants and show up if you already have tickets.

No not that one, this one you posted:

They are the same. Fill the arena for the most important game of the season. The planets are aligned

Well, this is certainly getting interesting.........

Go Canes!

Go Flyers!

C'mon cheapseats, peer pressure.....change that avatar :)

C'mon cheapseats, peer pressure.....change that avatar :)

If their are any Slugs fans "hiding" on our boards,we will find them out when they won't change their avatars :P

I think top spot in the East again is a great incentive to beat the Rangers.

Hopefully we win in regulation and open the door for you guys to get in.

Remember, I know exactly how you guys feel. We went through it last year, when it took a last-game shootout win to get in.

There was an awful lot of "Don't make it in, you won't go past round 1, save us the money" from me & a lot of season ticket holders.

No one expected the Flyers to come up just two wins short of a Cup, but they did.

I had a thread in Welcome New Members with an intro, but part of it got lost in your forum switch.

Quick intro: Lived in Chapel Hill summer '01- summer '02. Watched Carolina have that HORRIBLE, not make the NCCA Tournament season and the Canes make that playoff run into the Brick Wall of Detroit.

I know barbecue is something you eat down there.

I still manage to get to Crook's Corner every year or so.

I remember when Bojangles used to be good.

I ain't changing mine

You've done your part giving the STH code to Sabres fans with full instructions so I dont blame you for feeling like you've done enough.

Edited by legend-1

I'll say this. If this team makes the playoffs now, they will deserve it. They will now need to grab at least 18 points in 13 games, which is 9-4. While I was not excited about this team in the playoffs before, I can now say I will be excited if we make it. We'll be the required level of HOT.

Unfortunately, we are now the COLDEST team in the east over the last 10, tied with the lowly fire-sale cats at 3-5-2, but they have a 1 game winning streak.

I don't throw in the towel until I hear the woman with a large tone-chamber singing, but I do believe I hear her warming up in the wings.

Here is still hoping for original scenario. 9-4 will downright inspire me.

I am beginning to get downright inspired.

I'm done with this thread. Look at facts - pessimistic, ignore facts - optimistic. :coverears:

Still pessemistic? or were those optimistic it wasn't over maybe didnt ignore a thing? and they had a right to feel the way they did?

Just saying......

But...here's where my opinion is based on facts. This team hasn't strung together a good week since December. To suddenly expect them to NOW start winning back to back games....is overly optimistic The Rangers are out of reach. Period. The Sabres are only 3 points ahead, but the Canes still have to win at least 2 games more than the Sabres. If the Sabres play .500 hockey for their last 10 games, the Canes need to win at least 7. Winning 7 out of 10, now you see my pessimism! I think the Sabres have the tie-breakers, but I haven't looked lately. People get hung up on "it's only 3 points" But it's way more complicated, and a lot harder than that.

hey its only 1 point now to rangers! and 2 to buffalo.. guess the canes decided to wait until now to 'string those victories" together,,guess this is in sports, despite 'stats" or facts, that way say otherise there is no 'sure things" or over until it really is..

Edited by canes-in-7

You've done your part giving the STH code to Sabres fans with full instructions so I dont blame you for feeling like you've done enough.

You have me confused with someone else. But I know that person and he is a true and passionate canes fan. Lets not attack each other.

Still pessemistic? or were those optimistic it wasn't over maybe didnt ignore a thing? and they had a right to feel the way they did?

Just saying......

hey its only 1 point now to rangers! and 2 to buffalo.. guess the canes decided to wait until now to 'string those victories" together,,guess this is in sports, despite 'stats" or facts, that way say otherise there is no 'sure things" or over until it really is..

Actually, all I said originally was my that my opinion on how the Canes would likely finish were based upon facts, trends and stats. You made it a personal crusade to label folks like me as pessimistic because of it. As of today, I see no reason to change my opinion.

You know what, Canes-in-7? I've never begrudged anyone for being optimistic, so I expect the same consideration. With that said, please go find somebody else to poke with your optimistic stick.

Edit: The Canes chances of finishing out of the playoffs is now at 79%. The Canes chances of finishing out of the playoffs is now at 88%. Just sayin......

Edited by coastal_caniac

The Rangers just beat Boston 5-3. Maybe Boston just hates Canes enough to let Rangers win by coming from behind 3-0.

Edited by Nate31