The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

I'm throwing in the towel on this season...

just need to enjoy the two remaining home games and the one remaining road game. at the end of the Bolts game need to give the entire team a standing O

just need to enjoy the two remaining home games and the one remaining road game. at the end of the Bolts game need to give the entire team a standing O

Will be there and do just that :) we don't call them the "Cardiac Canes" for nothing and this season hasn't been any different they have certainly given us something to watch and cheer about this season...3 games left RUN THE TABLE CANES!Onward and Upward :)

Edited by Pkling40

The Rangers just beat Boston 5-3. Maybe Boston just hates Canes enough to let Rangers win by coming from behind 3-0.

The Rags did against Boston what the Canes couldn't against Buffalo. They found a way to win a must-win game. Mo can talk all he wants about not calling these games must wins. They were. They had to have them. They needed to put away the Slugs in regulation yesterday. They didn't do it.

But the Rags were down 3-0 to Boston, down 3-2 with 3:30 left in the game.... and scored 3 goals in that span (1 was an empty netter).

I realize we needed help at this point in the season to pull this off. We're not getting it. And we put ourselves in this position by losing games we had no business losing. Toronto 3-0 at home a couple of weeks ago. Losing to the Devils in OT despite being up in the 3rd period late (because we played a defensive game, Mo's game, playing "not to lose"). I'm sure there are others. Games we can all point to and say "we needed those points."

Yesterday against Buffalo. Must win. Didn't happen. The Rags proved what a competitive, playoff hockey team needs to do to get to the postseason. Win at all costs. Win when you have to win.

And the Canes will be setting their tee times. Competitive, but non-playoff hockey. You can say they played to their expectations... but it still rankles that they couldn't play beyond them enough in 2010-2011.

Actually, all I said originally was my that my opinion on how the Canes would likely finish were based upon facts, trends and stats. You made it a personal crusade to label folks like me as pessimistic because of it. As of today, I see no reason to change my opinion.

You know what, Canes-in-7? I've never begrudged anyone for being optimistic, so I expect the same consideration. With that said, please go find somebody else to poke with your optimistic stick.

Edit: The Canes chances of finishing out of the playoffs is now at 79%. The Canes chances of finishing out of the playoffs is now at 88%. Just sayin......

ahhh... I figured when you took shots at optimistic people in this thread, and then in the "10 game prediction thread", you took a shot at all that were predicting 6 or wins with the "well guess some don't want to win a bobblehead"(haha)".. you wouldn't mind a little back and forth or someone poking fun BACK at you like you were doing at optimistic posters..

guess you like to dish it, not have it dished back to you.. lesson learned.

ahhh... I figured when you took shots at optimistic people in this thread, and then in the "10 game prediction thread", you took a shot at all that were predicting 6 or wins with the "well guess some don't want to win a bobblehead"(haha)".. you wouldn't mind a little back and forth or someone poking fun BACK at you like you were doing at optimistic posters..

guess you like to dish it, not have it dished back to you.. lesson learned.

Let me help you get your facts straight here.

Posted by BigKahuna in the 10 Game Prediction Thread:

Posted 21 March 2011 - 02:49 PM

Some of you really don't like the Staal bobblehead do you? :applaud:

I don't think I had much to do with the above post, do you? And I certainly had no intention of taking shots at you or anybody else in this thread. I thought I made that clear all ready. Can't we just move on?

And by the way, I was really hoping the Canes would buck the trend and find a way to get in. :) But it appears that the same problems that have plagued this team all year may just not be enough to overcome.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Sabres won tonight; puts us 4 points back with 3 games remaining. not gonna happen. so officially count me in the towel group now.

love the team for everything they showed this season, but absolutely HATE being teased like this at the end and also HATE being in 9th place. don't think there's a worse place in sports. team just couldn't win the games that mattered the most; lots of effort, but not enough W's, and that's all that counts.

Two things that killed their playoff chances...One goal regulation losses, & the PP.

How many of those one goal games could have gone to overtime, or been won in regulation if we could have just scored a PP goal?

:kleenex:

So what's our draft position?

The Canes own hat 9th spot in the east, this is the 5th time isn't it, in the last 10 years?

When we have finished out of the playoffs it's been 9th three times, 10th one time, 11th twice, and dead last in 02-03. Of the 13 years the team has been in Carolina, we've made the playoffs 5 times.

without looking, guessing about 17th.

I wished we own the 17th pick because that would mean we were in the playoffs.

Top 14 picks go to non playoff teams...We currently own the 12th pick.

There's still a chance (~7%) we can make it in. Since I've never officially thrown in the towel, I keep my slimmest of slim hopes alive (but I'm still ready to throw it).

:woohoo:

I'm with you Coastal. No towel throwing until we are eliminated from playoff contention.

When we have finished out of the playoffs it's been 9th three times, 10th one time, 11th twice, and dead last in 02-03. Of the 13 years the team has been in Carolina, we've made the playoffs 5 times.

Since the cup:

Not that it's been our strategy, but other than the one year we squeaked in (08-09), and utterly out of it last year, we've closely missed the playoffs or utterly missed 4/5 years, counting this one. Assuming we finish 9th this year, it will be 9th, 6th, 9th, 11th (3 points out though), with once squeaking in in the 6 slot.

So, in reality, with one shining exception, since the cup we have been a "competitive NON playoff team" at it's very definition.

Now, considering that this is a league where 53% of the league makes the playoffs each year. We have been consistently worse than average since the cup. Sure, it hasn't been as bad as it could have been, (thought last year was pretty bad before the late run), but I have to wonder about the cost/benefit analysis of this approach.

Sure we're cheap and have a low payroll, but one wonders what kind of revenue and interest in season tickets might be generated by being in the playoffs regularly. Those that have been there know that the playoffs are a special kind of experience. I'd rather win one playoff series than go the the All Star game.

How long will the fan base tolerate this amazing ability to consistently almost get there with a cheap payroll? Where would we be without that improbable playoff run a couple of years ago?

This "try to get close and hope for the best, don't spend any money on free agents, don't make any real moves at the deadline, basically just fiddle with the edges of the team" approach, has to stop. Our motto should be "We may be a below average team, but we're doing it cheap!" Somehow doesn't work for most fans.

Sure we have largely stayed out of the basement (at least by the end of the year), and on balance that's good, but it also means we are not picking in the top 5-6 in the draft. Thus building an elite team entirely though the draft ain't going to happen. Skinner was the exception, not the rule.

I would argue strongly that this team is 2-3 solid players away from being a solid playoff team, especially if Cole keeps bringing his A game.

So for crying out loud, sign Cole andJussi and go out and get a couple of solid free agents to make us a competitive solid playoff team, starting next year. Do it.

Go Canes.

Edited by remkin

As I sit here and watch the Canes dominate the red wings, I'm just frustrated by what could have been. Playing so well, yet recently had stinkers like the Columbus game.

Anyway, to go with what remkin said, John and Tripp mentioned that this is the 20th consecutive year that the Wings are in the playoffs. Can you believe that? I don't know how I'd act. Money is hemorrhaging away from Detroit, yet they are gonna sell that place out. Guess why?

It is easy to say "spend more money" when it is not your money that is being spent. Where will this money come from? Increased ticket prices? Could this market financially support a higher payroll? I doubt it. I enjoy going to Canes' games, but have almost been priced out. There is a trade off for eveything. I personally am glad to have the Canes. They are a team we can be proud of, playoffs or no playoffs. You have to admit, they have given us Caniacs some great hockey experiences in the three of their playoff runs ( 02, 06 and 09)The other alternative is no NHL hockey in North Carolina.

And the rangers play on saturday at 12:30, so canes will know before game what's at stake.. here's to hoping that tonight ladd and thrashers take it to rangers to really get us excited for the friday/satuday canes game.. this rollercoaster never seems to ends., just the peaks and valley's get higher and lower :grin:

I think someone should just gather up all these towels that are laying around, and print the playoff logos on them. We are going to need something to wave during the first round.