The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
balmoral14

THIS STRIKE STINKS!

Looks like Mikey's teachers have been on strike. Here's the link to an article folks:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Edmonton/2...676159-sun.html

It looks like the teachers headed to the "bargain bin" yesterday. Michael, remember this as you grow up and as you eventually enter the adult world. You may one day have a family of your own. Remember to show your appreciation to the faculty and staff working with you and your family on a regular basis- not just at scheduled teacher/staff appreciation events. Just like you and me, they like to know they are appreciated.

Hang in there, kiddo. Kudos to you for writing to the educators. This will eventually be resolved. Here's hoping you get a decent summer!

I'm with you Michael on this one, your summers are short enough! Great letter you wrote, not sure why its on our board but I hope you sent a copy to your school board too. If you're looking for our support, consider it done! We Canes fans have a soft spot for you Edmonton folks.

Keep the faith.....

I'm with you Michael on this one, your summers are short enough! Great letter you wrote, not sure why its on our board but I hope you sent a copy to your school board too. If you're looking for our support, consider it done! We Canes fans have a soft spot for you Edmonton folks.

Keep the faith.....

At some point you have to fight for your rights as an employee, and if you are lucky enough, you can strike with the support of unions. Unfortunately someone will always be at the short end of the stick, and in this case its the students. On one hand, you have to say the students have to be in school and learn and whatnot. On the other hand, there must be some reasons as to why these teachers are on strike, such as poor pay, poor benifits, poor working hours/conditions. At the end of the day, you have to find a compermise that will satisfy the teachers and get the students back in the schools. Hopefully the arbitrators can come to a deal soon. But don't fret, missing a few days in school will not end the world, thanks to the abundent resources avaliable nowadays, if you feel that you are missing something, you are just a few clicks away from learning on your own, which is something that will be a key to your sucess beyond public education.

your mad your getting time off school........

right

I know you may just be joking, so don't think this is a personal attack on you, but i think this statemen reflectst the problem with a lot of kids...it's "uncool" to want to learn. school shouldn't be like prison, where you're just waiting to get out. it really bothered me in high school and later on in post secondary when people who didn't want to be there were always complaining about how they didn't want to be there (especially in post secondary where they weren't being forced to attend.)

your mad your getting time off school........

right

I know you may just be joking, so don't think this is a personal attack on you, but i think this statemen reflectst the problem with a lot of kids...it's "uncool" to want to learn. school shouldn't be like prison, where you're just waiting to get out. it really bothered me in high school and later on in post secondary when people who didn't want to be there were always complaining about how they didn't want to be there (especially in post secondary where they weren't being forced to attend.)

I never once in my "statemen" said it wasnt cool to be in school. I'm not sitting here in a leather jacket saying HEY! either.

Kids getting some time off and regardless of the time off he or she is going to goto school for 180 days. If it REALLY bugs whomever post this they can always goto private school but you know what thats never an option because then you actually gotta do homework and study.

Public school was a waste of my time during the day, but at least not any other time. Why bother doing homework and studying when the tests are that easy and pointless? The PathetIc School System is uncool, not learning. You're probably learning more surfing the internet, especially if you accidently get trapped in a wiki-hole. You tend to retain what interests you anyway so I'd say that is the most effective method of learning known to man. :wink:

I actually went to a "semi-private" school. this means we had to have the grades and pass an interview without paying the crazy tuition. I know, seems like it's too good to be true. but it was. and i had a great time in school. and believe me, i've skipped class a few times and it's all a part of the great memories i have of high school.

I guess what bothers me is more towards post secondary school where students should be a little more mature and actually want to be there, rather than half-*edit* it. especially when there are always complaints of overcrowding in classes. well, some kids really don't want to be there (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, education isn't always the path for some people). so these kids should maybe do something else with there time so that teachers could focus on the kids who do want to be there.