The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

The Official 2011-12 Off-Season Thread

That's what you get when you sign guys off waivers and take the players other teams don't want: inconsistency.

This is part of the el cheapo approach and it is definitely hit or miss. I am not disagreeing, heck, Sammy was the poster boy of inconsistency. And I am fully behind making a solid FA pick up, but there are times where it does work. While he was not technically on waivers, I want to use this opportunity to point out a guy in this category, a guy picked up for a couple of salary dumps and 4th rounder from a team that was about to put him on waivers:

One big hit was Jussi. I know attention (including mine) is on making the playoffs, and as soon to be free agents go, all eyes are on Cole and with good reason, but we also need to resign Jussi who has really been the model of consistency since that amazing playoff performance a couple of years ago. I am loving Cole but even with Jussi's slow start and 4th line time early in the year and injury:

Points per game:

Jussi .73

Cole .64

In fact Jussi and Skinner are basically tied for second on the team in points per game. And lest we think he is offense-only, note that if we throw out Joslin and Stillman, since they played most of the year elsewhere*, Jussi is second best on the team in plus minus bested only by Sutter.

I would argue this has been an off year for Jussi to boot. None the less, he has been quietly highly effective, and further, other than Stillman, he is really our only playmaker. Sign Cole, but sign Jussi even more.

*Joslin has been plus something here, so don't really throw him out. Oh and Joslin appears to be another hit on the picking up other people's cast offs.

Edited by remkin

That's what you get when you sign guys off waivers and take the players other teams don't want: inconsistency.

That method has brought us 1 Stanley, 2 Cup finals, 3 ECF's and almost a President's trophy. I can take a few years off between playoffs with that kind of record.

Theres original 6 teams that would drool over that kinda 10 year period.

Priorities for Offseason

1. Mo must Go

2. Get a coach that actually cares about PPs

3. Get a good young C (my vote is still Patrik Berglund, he is big, scores plenty of points and Brindy can work on him all offseason to improve his faceoffs)

4. Retool the D. Go get Brewer and trade for Campoli.

5. Get a first line winger

What I really seeing happening

1. Mo Stays

2. PP still sucks

3. We get an aging veteran that has put up huge points before but is past his prime (Stillman)

4. JR again does not trade a top pick getter and lets him walk (Pits) and the D is left to youngins and one 6th Dman that JR signs.

5. JR gets a 4th line guy for about 750k-1.25mil

Defense needs a huge upgrade. Players like Jamie McBain shouldnt be in the NHL. Fix that problem and this team doesnt have to win game 82 to hope they make the playoffs.

ANYONE GETTING SICK OF FINISHING 9th?

Lavi was given his walking papers after two seasons of not making the playoffs. Why does Mo get a pass?

Edited by colliefan

Let's just hope we have a good drafting class. This draft is said to be weak but I'm thinking we could possibly pull out a couple of good prospects.

Also, you guys might like this. From the Checkers twitter.

After 20 minutes, the Checkers lead 1-0. Jordan's 1st-period goal was Charlotte's 81st PP goal of the year, which is now 1st in the AHL

At least the PP has shades of brightness coming it's way.

Edited by captain_jack88

Priorities for Offseason

1. Mo must Go

3. Get a good young C (my vote is still Patrik Berglund, he is big, scores plenty of points and Brindy can work on him all offseason to improve his faceoffs)

1. Mo Stays

2. PP still sucks

3. We get an aging veteran that has put up huge points before but is past his prime (Stillman)

4. JR again does not trade a top pick getter and lets him walk (Pits) and the D is left to youngins and one 6th Dman that JR signs.

1. This team overacheived at 91 points...beginning of the year we were set to be a "competitive non-playoff team" I'd say we are ahead of schedule in that regard and am more than happy with the season.

2. Th PP needs improvement, but that does not go to Mo...it goes to a guy who used to wear #10 for the team...suggestions?

3. We have a good young center, his name is Jeff Skinner, maybe you have heard of him???

4. D Needs some work and I would let Joni go and spend the $ on a good UFA, other than that we're good with Joslin, Gleason, McBain, Harrison and Allen...it is also possible that one of our college boys, Sanguinetti or one of the other Checkers steps up

5. We have first line wingers; their names are Zach Boychuck and Drayson Bowman. Boychuck is the better playmaker so I pair him with Staal. We also have these guys named Dalpe and Shugg...hear they are pretty good.

This team is so stacked with young talent it is not even funny...it is actually possible that we could get even younger AND better next year.

Boychuck Staal Cole

Jokinen Skinner Ruutu

Bowman Sutter Dalpe

Samson Dwyer LaRose

Edited by Law-Dawg

I know this team had a lot of 50+ point scorers. The issue is that outside of Staal, and eventually Skinner, we don't have another elite offensive guy to carry the load when the team gets in a slump. What killed our chances this year of making the playoffs was the huge offensive rut we got in when we lost 3 straight home games to ATL, CBJ and TOR. Staal and Skinner were both in slumps then and we struggled to score more than a goal a game.

We had a low payroll this year. I say we resign Cole and Jussi, let Pitkanen and LaRose walk and use the money we have left over to sign a top forward. This team has needed that every year since the Cup run in '06. I like Maurice and would like to see him move to the front office somewhere, but if he's back again as the coach then I wouldn't mind seeing Francis go back to his previous role and having someone new come in to be our power play architect. If our PP was slightly better we'd probably be sitting around a #6 seed right now. Its insane that we draw so many penalties, but just flat out can't use that to our advantage. Seeing how good Charlotte has been I wouldn't mind seeing Daniels back on the bench as an assistant with the plan of making him the new coach after Maurice's contract runs up.

I would like to see lines next year of:

FA Winger - Staal - Cole

Jokinen - Skinner - Ruutu

Boychuck - Sutter - Dalpe

Samson - Dwyer - Bowman/Bodie/etc.

I think I would let Pitkanen go. Especially at 4 million a year. He plays a TON and eats up ice time. But how many times has he made god-awful mistakes that lead to an opponent goal. "Turnover by Pitkanen" is on endless loop from Forslund. I think we have several good young defensemen in Charlotte who can step up into a 3rd pairing role.

Michal Jordan is a solid player. The Checkers site doesn't list defensive stats like blocked shots, but he is a +13 with 18 points, so he only got scored on even strength about 5 times. He's not a big scorer, 4 goals and 14 assists, but that's OK since we need a shutdown man/3rd pair checker. He also plays disciplined with only 35 PIM in 67 games. That's a 2 minute minor every 4th game. (1/2 minute per game average).

I don't think you can have Cam facing 40 shots a game, even if he does get in a groove it seems. Leading the lead in shots on goal faced and saves is maybe not such a good thing. We certainly could use a upgrade on the defense.

Some of the lower end Defensmen UFA's (in our price range):

John Erskine - Caps - 1.25 Million

Brad Lukowich - Stars - 1.00 Million

Anton Babchuk - Sens - 1.4 million (Hopefully not him again)

Steve Eminger - Rags - 1.125 Million

The Mock draft on the Bleacher report has us picking Defenseman Doug Hamilton of Niagra (OHL) with the 12th pick, but we won't be picking that high.

If Pits walks, I could see teams offering him 5+ million for him. He's the type of guy that GMs are interested.

John Erskine - Caps - 1.25 Million 5-6 D-man at best.

Brad Lukowich - Stars - 1.00 Million See above

Steve Eminger - Rags - 1.125 Million See above

We certainly could use a upgrade on the defense.

John Erskine - Caps - 1.25 Million

Brad Lukowich - Stars - 1.00 Million

Steve Eminger - Rags - 1.125 Million

The Mock draft on the Bleacher report has us picking Defenseman Doug Hamilton of Niagra (OHL) with the 12th pick, but we won't be picking that high.

If we let Pits go, and I believe we should, we should have $4 mil to work with... I don't understand why we'd be limited to these guys. Please explain your list, buddy.

I can't imagine we'd draft a defensemen. We are in the 12th spot though.

I was just looking at a couple guys I though the team would pay, between the 1 mil to 1.5 mil range. yeah we pick up salary if Pits goes but you know how this team is, it's not like they are going to spend it. I'm just throwing darts at a list of names, no different than everybody else on here.

Ah, ok, just as long as the dart doesn't land on Babchuk, we're in good shape. Looking at the list of defensemen who are UFAs there are a few names that sound familiar. I remember some talk about wanting Kevin Bieksa ($3.75) at 29 years old. White and Wallin are available at $3 million or less. Ian White is 26. Andrew Albers at $1.05 sounds like a good deal to me - I really really liked his play in Carolina - we shouldn't have traded him away. Andy Greene seems like a good deal at $737,500.

OR

Bring up a Checker defensemen and go after a big time young forward UFA. Frolov will be on the market at $3 mil. Fleischmann, Laich, and I've always liked Marcel Goc. Drew Miller might be a good steal from Detroit, and cheap at $650,000. Or just go after Richards at $8 mil. I'm sure PK would pony up the money...

I'd really like to know if there's another 1st pairing d-man out there for $4M. If there is, maybe we'll let Pits go. If there isn't, then we need to keep Pits. Who takes his spot? Gleason (-11)? Corvo (-14)?

Say what you want about Pits, but he was only -2 this year, he eats a ton of minutes, etc.

I think McBain had a solid rookie season. We learned he can play a full season; we learned he's not Viktor Hedman. We certainly hope he'll improve.

The D needs a move. The question is "who will it be?" If we don't re-sign Pits, then we need a 1st pairing d-man to replace him. No one on the roster is capable to moving into that 1st pairing spot, IMO.

We have been experimenting with the cheap defense ever since we happened to get away with it in 06. I hope that experiment has run it's course and JR gets serious on it. It's not like the players we have are bad individually, but fielding a full roster of 3-6 pairing d-man isn't cutting it. We got to find two top pairing guys, who they are and how much that will cost I am not sure yet.

2006 is generous, I'd say we've been a cheap defense now since Day 1 of the team being here. Honestly with Pits/Gleason contracts this might be one of the more expensive D's we've had.

I actually think we're in decent shape defensively. Very young, so we'll be better next year and a guy like Alberts would be a solid 2 year pick up while Jordan and the College kids continue to develop. Dumoulin, Falk and Biega are all very legit prospects and I expect at least one or two of these guys will be with the team in 2012-2013.

Alberts could also come pretty cheap which would allow me to throw this out for discussion...Cam Ward and Eric Staal's best friend, Mr. Andrew Ladd, is a UFA...if we let Pits, Stillman, Bodie, Tlusty and maybe Harrison go there is a good bit of room to Give Jussi, Sutter and Cole a raise and resign Joslin(RFA). Boychuck and Bowman move up (still on entry level deals) and that's not too shabby. Plus there is room for Dalpe to get one more year to develop in Charlotte as this was his first full professional season...he and Justin Shugg can work together and develop some chemistry.

Jussi Staal Ladd

Cole Skinner Ruutu

Boychuck Sutter Bowman

Samson Dwyer LaRose

Corvo Gleason

McBain Joslin

Alberts Allen

2006 is generous, I'd say we've been a cheap defense now since Day 1 of the team being here. Honestly with Pits/Gleason contracts this might be one of the more expensive D's we've had.

2006 is completely generous. This organization hasn't spent dollars on defense since the first blade hit the ice in Greensboro. It frustrates me to no end. At least we now have some pretty decent prospects of our own that may be only a year or so away from making an impact. My guess is JR patches something together again this year to get us to the point that Faulk and Dumoulin can challenge for a roster spot.

We also have to get some grit in here and keep them here and let them play that way.Every time we get someone who brings that we either trade them or get them to stop playing that way!! We get pushed all over most every game!!

IT WON'T BE LONG TIL THEY TRADE IN THE HOCKEY SHORTS FOR HOCKEY SKIRTS!!

Priorities for Offseason

1. Mo must Go

1. Mo Stays

2. PP still sucks

This is sad, but true. There isn't another team in the league that would employ Maurice, yet for reasons completely unclear to me, we seem more than elated to allow him to plumb the depths of mediocrity year after year after year. If the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, we're insane. Maurice has had more than a thousand games in the NHL to prove his worth, and instead what he's proven it to be .500 at best.

Given more Maurice, I expect some chairs to be shuffled on the Titanic, but nothing will change. We'll still play with no physicality whatsoever. Nobody will ever occupy the slot on offense. Our PP will continue to flounder helplessly.

This is sad, but true. There isn't another team in the league that would employ Maurice, yet for reasons completely unclear to me, we seem more than elated to allow him to plumb the depths of mediocrity year after year after year. If the definition of insane is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, we're insane. Maurice has had more than a thousand games in the NHL to prove his worth, and instead what he's proven it to be .500 at best.

Given more Maurice, I expect some chairs to be shuffled on the Titanic, but nothing will change. We'll still play with no physicality whatsoever. Nobody will ever occupy the slot on offense. Our PP will continue to flounder helplessly.

^ This.

And... ouch.

So true.

Cam Ward and Eric Staal's best friend, Mr. Andrew Ladd, is a UFA...

Jussi Staal Ladd

Cole Skinner Ruutu

Boychuck Sutter Bowman

Samson Dwyer LaRose

Corvo Gleason

McBain Joslin

Alberts Allen

Correction Ladd is a RFA, & Atlanta's captain...I don't see us making an offer sheet or Atl letting him walk. But it would be nice.

I like your forward lines, but not sure about your defense.

Top priority for this team is to settle their ownership problem. If indeed we have an interested minority party it is time to consummate the deal. This will allow us to set a budget going forward and end any distraction other then building a better team.

Next evaluate the coaching staff. This is not a MO must go. The evaluation should include the performance of all the assistant coaches as well. I might be old fashioned but Maurice has another year left on his contract. I would be inclined to let him finish his contract but I think I would eliminate at least one assitant coach position. To many cooks in this organization.

Determine the rebuild program. Are we ready to make the leap to a playoff team next year. If we are determine the 2 or 3 Chex who can make the leap. This will determine which of our free agents get re-signed. If we don't think we will be a playoff team next year then the goal should be to unload as many of our free agents as possible and bring up the Chex to get experience.

Go out and get a third line center. This will allow Sutter to move up to a scoring line and Ruutu to go back to wing. I know Sutter has done well in his defensive role on the third line but do I miss his scoring touch. Ruutu has filled the center role admirably but we need him banging on the boards and scoring goals.

Sign Harrison and Cole. Let Pitkanen walk

Find a backup for Ward.