The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

The Official 2011-12 Off-Season Thread

Where do the Canes stand in terms of the salary floor?

There's a lot of sites about this. But, here's one that describes a "race to the floor" amongst the cheapo teams.

Basically, Canes need to add at least 3.2M. Sutter is unsigned, and it is assumed he'll make up a good chunk of that. Beyond the floor, it is rumored JR has permission from PK to add a few million (somewhere in the 50M range).

I want to know why the salary cap has risen so much since the lockout and why it continues to rise in the face of a horrible economy. If the players strike next year because of money issues, they need a serious reality check.

Edited by cane-addict-1

Uh.. yeah, I want this. It kinda sucks that he only has a year left. If a Boychuk & a 2nd for Hemsky goes down, I would be working really hard to extend Hemsky's contract.

This trade does not fix our faceoff problems, but maybe Brind'Amour behind the bench will help that out.

This IS all just a rumor, however. It may not be true..

Uh.. yeah, I want this. It kinda sucks that he only has a year left. If a Boychuk & a 2nd for Hemsky goes down, I would be working really hard to extend Hemsky's contract.

This trade does not fix our faceoff problems, but maybe Brind'Amour behind the bench will help that out.

This IS all just a rumor, however. It may not be true..

Wow. I guess that's what nearly a point a game looks like in the NHL. Put him on a line with Skinner and the opposing d would be spinning in circles not knowing what hit them.

Edmonton would have to be pretty sure they couldn't resign him to want to let him go.

I would argue that Staal, Skinner, Hemsky, Ward the 4 All Stars a team needs to go deep in the playoffs. Then we have a lot of seriously complementary pieces.

I would pay to see him, let alone him and Skinner. Even a year of it...yes please.

*Salivates*

If this happens I will change to: Who is this Cole you speak of? Can't remember him.

Edited by remkin

Is anybody else concerned about Hemsky's past injuries? He has a big upside but could have a big risk.

I want to know why the salary cap has risen so much since the lockout and why it continues to rise in the face of a horrible economy. If the players strike next year because of money issues, they need a serious reality check.

The relative strength now of the Canadian dollar in relationship to the US dollar accounts for some of the Cap rise. It used to be $1 Canadian dollar = ~$0.80 US in 2005 and now a Canadian dollar is worth $1.04 US. That is a +20% increase since the lockout.

Is anybody else concerned about Hemsky's past injuries? He has a big upside but could have a big risk.

I would be. He's someone Id take a risk on but I wouldnt give up the farm or give him more than 1 year.

IMO it's the same risk we would've taken is we had signed Cole. I think this risk would have higher reward though (ie; playoff goals)! Hemsky has had the long summer to recover and should come back healthy. Even for one season, we would get the chance to see what having a legit 1st line winger is like, that being said, I would bet JR would lock him up to a 3-4 yr. contract as part of the trade. Hemsky is just what this team needs!

Now that the dust has settled, I was trying to wrap my head around the new depth chart. Anyone know who is setting the lines on the canes website? It seems interesting to me:

Skinner/Staal/Stewart

Jokinen/Ruutu/Dalpe

Ponikarovsky/Sutter/Larose

Tlusty/Brent/Dwyer

Gleason/Corvo

Pitkanen/McBain

Allen/Harrison

Joslin

Wardo

Boucher

I do hope there is a trade around the corner, but until that happens we have this to look at. Things look really different already. I'm not sure I'd break up the Skinner/Ruutu/Jokinen line from last season, but since Stillman and Cole are out of the picture, I understand Skinner's promotion. But the Pitkanen and McBain pairing makes me scratch my head. How is Pitkanen going to do his thing if McBain (a like-minded offensive defenseman) is trying to do the same. I would replace Allen with McBain and let Jamie slip to the third pairing.

So if we are 3.2 from the floor with a potential 2 extra from pk...with sutter unsigned...and the only thing were possibly trading according to some being boychuk. Where is the money for Hemsky coming from?

I would be. He's someone Id take a risk on but I wouldnt give up the farm or give him more than 1 year.

I was thinking one maybe two years. Of course this is all speculation right now.

IMO it's the same risk we would've taken is we had signed Cole. I think this risk would have higher reward though (ie; playoff goals)! Hemsky has had the long summer to recover and should come back healthy. Even for one season, we would get the chance to see what having a legit 1st line winger is like, that being said, I would bet JR would lock him up to a 3-4 yr. contract as part of the trade. Hemsky is just what this team needs!

I guess you have to take a risk to reap a reward. I read he has missed 104 games in the last 5 seasons. Coming off shoulder surgery. The upside is if he stays healthy he will put up lots of points. I would think 4 year contracts aren't in our plan. Although I would suggest one or two I could see JR going to 3 years.

I guess you have to take a risk to reap a reward. I read he has missed 104 games in the last 5 seasons. Coming off shoulder surgery. The upside is if he stays healthy he will put up lots of points. I would think 4 year contracts aren't in our plan. Although I would suggest one or two I could see JR going to 3 years.

Hemsky is also a great skater and has great size as well! I agree with you on the contact too! 3 years is plenty, especialy with the CBA coming up. The length of the contract will also give Dalpe time to develop into a top line winger!;) Go get him JR!

Edited by shauniac79

Legend, when I put those lines together it wasn't so much about us signing Hemsky. I was making the point that we are only one winger away from having a pretty solid lineup up front.

I couldn't tell you where the money will come from, cause we have yet to sign Sutter or Joslin, which would likey eat up most if not all of the 3.2 mil we have yet to spend to get to the cap floor. But your right, if we go over the floor, that extra 2 mil JR reportedly has in the budget won't get Hemsky.

And that's the point, just a little more than el-cheapo to sign another top-6 guy like Hemsky and I think we have improved ourselves over the "competitive non-playoff" team we were last year. It won't break the bank, and I would bet we would still be in the bottom 10 teams in spending.

Too bad we spent almost 3 million on LaRose and Tlusty

Edited by coastal_caniac

I agree that getting Hemsky, if he's available, would be great. I think it would be interesting to see if we plan on sending something more substantial back Edmonton's way, though, to help make up the cap issues.

With Sutter and Joslin unsigned, you're definitely looking at us hitting the floor between the two of them. Then the question is "just how far above $50M is JR allowed to go?"

Because maybe you can package someone in the deal for Hemsky... just not sure who that would be. I still think that if Faulk or Ryan Murphy can actually make the team, then someone like Corvo could be expendable. So if you sent Corvo and Boychuk (and maybe a pick) that would likely be more than enough and also help the cap situation.

But then again, Corvo is a top 4 d-man. I do wonder if JR isn't thinking "damn I shouldn't have signed LaRose."

Just speculating....

Too bad we spent almost 3 million on LaRose and Tlusty

I wonder what kind of premium JR puts on intangibles? Tlusty was a cheap signing, but those two contracts take up a valuable hunk of money when combined and I really wonder who else in the league was going to spend that amount of money on LaRose. I'm not anti-Rosey but Dwyer brings a lot of Rosey's one ice skills at a lower price. I thought his signing was going to mean LaRose wasn't coming back.

I'm looking at depth chart, and Dalpe is the only Checker that is listed that wasn't on the full time big squad last year. Boychuk, Bowman, and Samson are all listed as extras. If this stands, I'm not seeing a competitive training camp and preseason where guys will be competing for a roster spot.

What about Brad Boyes. Buffalo looks like they need to shed some contracts and they only acquired him for a 2nd rounder.

Alexei Ponikarovsky - Eric Staal - Brad Boyes

Jussi Jokinen - Tuomo Ruutu - Jeff Skinner

Chad Larose - Brandon Sutter - Anthony Stewart

Pat Dwyer - Tim Brent - Zac Dalpe

Jiri Tlusty

Edited by the-boot

Now that the dust has settled, I was trying to wrap my head around the new depth chart. Anyone know who is setting the lines on the canes website? It seems interesting to me:

Skinner/Staal/Stewart

Jokinen/Ruutu/Dalpe

Ponikarovsky/Sutter/Larose

Tlusty/Brent/Dwyer

Gleason/Corvo

Pitkanen/McBain

Allen/Harrison

Joslin

Wardo

Boucher

I do hope there is a trade around the corner, but until that happens we have this to look at.

I know the Canes website has to put in what we have, and I'm thinking they might be messing around sometimes to get interest at this point in the year, and I hate to belabor the point (who me?), but that lineup, while looking different, does NOT look better.

Stewart is still an unknown. His breakout season was 14 goals for crying out loud. Yes, he might put up 20. But 14 goals as a career year puts you on our top line? Dalpe is much loved, and I like him too, but he is also unproven as an NHL point producer. Sutter, Poni, and LaRose all decent to good players, but none can be counted on for 20 goals.

So, in our top 9 there are 5 guys who might produce, might not. Not to get political but it looks like hope and change, with a lot of hope.

But, throw one proven producer in there to truly replace Cole (such as Hemsky) and the line up goes from hope and change to change you can believe in.

At least offensively, adding that one key piece takes us from a huge range of possible outcomes to very solid, (and in Hemsky's case very entertaining and exciting) instantly.

I feel that JR is looking and probing for this deal, and he probably wants to make a good deal and so is at least acting like he really doesn't need to make a deal. Well he doesn't have to make a deal if he wants to put an average product on the ice.

I'm waiting for that news of a top 6 forward coming our way. I've waited for that before though.

I love Ladd and thought we gave up on him too soon, but The Jets have too much cap room to make an offer sheet work...BUT if I'm JR I would be calling his agent about price, & The Jets about what they would be interested in trade!!!

Even better would be to go after Ryan Callahan or Brandon Dubinsky of the New York Rangers. The Rags are always in salary cap trouble. They only have 4 D currently signed, & might be willing to let one of these forwards go.

Worth a shot...

Also, will people please stop putting Poni on our 1st line...he is third line at best. Stewart is probably third line as well unless he improves on last year.

These lines from Coastal are about the best I've seen so far:

Skinner - Staal - Hemsky

Dalpe - Jokinen - Ruutu

Poni - Sutter - Stewart

LaRose - Brent - Dwyer

Coulds put Ladd / Callahan / Or Dubinsky in Hemsky spot.

Edited by rocheccw