The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

The Official 2011-12 Off-Season Thread

Top priority for this team is to settle their ownership problem. If indeed we have an interested minority party it is time to consummate the deal. This will allow us to set a budget going forward and end any distraction other then building a better team.

Next evaluate the coaching staff. This is not a MO must go. The evaluation should include the performance of all the assistant coaches as well. I might be old fashioned but Maurice has another year left on his contract. I would be inclined to let him finish his contract but I think I would eliminate at least one assitant coach position. To many cooks in this organization.

Determine the rebuild program. Are we ready to make the leap to a playoff team next year. If we are determine the 2 or 3 Chex who can make the leap. This will determine which of our free agents get re-signed. If we don't think we will be a playoff team next year then the goal should be to unload as many of our free agents as possible and bring up the Chex to get experience.

Go out and get a third line center. This will allow Sutter to move up to a scoring line and Ruutu to go back to wing. I know Sutter has done well in his defensive role on the third line but do I miss his scoring touch. Ruutu has filled the center role admirably but we need him banging on the boards and scoring goals.

Sign Harrison and Cole. Let Pitkanen walk

Find a backup for Ward.

Maybe something like Mathieu Garon from the Columbus Blue Jackets, veteran backup goalie.

Go out and get a third line center. This will allow Sutter to move up to a scoring line and Ruutu to go back to wing. I know Sutter has done well in his defensive role on the third line but do I miss his scoring touch. Ruutu has filled the center role admirably but we need him banging on the boards and scoring goals.

Sign Harrison and Cole. Let Pitkanen walk

Find a backup for Ward.

Matt Cullen is... oh wait, he's not available. Would have helped this year though. Could have afforded him too. But not with the El Cheapo.

Agree with the rest, but I'd shoot a little higher on the forward. Though your move is more likely. Is Dalpe ready? Get that top line winger and bring Dalpe and Boychuk up. But more likely we get a third line center. Again, el cheapo. The third line is the perfect place for Dalpe. And if we have an all yute third line we should be able to afford that winger. Unless we go el cheapo.

Your point about ownership will hopefully allow a little less cheapo.

Edited by remkin

Matt Cullen is... oh wait, he's not available. Would have helped this year though.

LOL...Give it up Rem. He is gone for good. I can't even watch the Wild without thinking about you when Cullen is on the ice. You have a point though.

Maybe something like Mathieu Garon from the Columbus Blue Jackets, veteran backup goalie.

I'm not sure how best to approach the backup situation. If we are looking forward I suspect a another young goalie is in the plan. But I think we would have been better served this year by keeping Legace and letting Peters have another AHL season. There is something attractive about a veteran as backup but I'm sure it depends on our evaluation of Peters, Pogge and Murphy and if and when we think they might be ready.

I would go with the veteran.

I'm not sure how best to approach the backup situation. If we are looking forward I suspect a another young goalie is in the plan. But I think we would have been better served this year by keeping Legace and letting Peters have another AHL season. There is something attractive about a veteran as backup but I'm sure it depends on our evaluation of Peters, Pogge and Murphy and if and when we think they might be ready.

I would go with the veteran.

I have no idea what kind of a season Manny Legace had but we know he'd fit right in, embrace the back up role and is likely available. That was a big mistake not re-signing him and this season probably hurt Peter's development (and his confidence).

I have no idea what kind of a season Manny Legace had but we know he'd fit right in, embrace the back up role and is likely available. That was a big mistake not re-signing him and this season probably hurt Peter's development (and his confidence).

The stats I saw for Manny 17-22-0 with a 2.51 GAA this season with the Iserlohn Roosters. But he is now a year older so I'm not sure he is an option for next season. I do think (just a guess) he would have been good for at least 5 more wins for us this season. As for Peters I hope he can chalk this season up to a learning experience but we may have done more harm then good they way we handled him.

Edited by OBXer

The stats I saw for Manny 17-22-0 with a 2.51 GAA this season with the Iserlohn Roosters. But he is now a year older so I'm not sure he is an option for next season. I do think (just a guess) he would have been good for at least 5 more wins for us this season. As for Peters I hope he can chalk this season up to a learning experience but we may have done more harm then good they way we handled him.

UFAs 2011

There are some errors, but if you look at the bottom of the page, there are the goalies.

Two names that jump out to be at least is: Mathieu Garon and Alex Auld (another career backup goalie)

UFAs 2011

There are some errors, but if you look at the bottom of the page, there are the goalies.

Two names that jump out to be at least is: Mathieu Garon and Alex Auld (another career backup goalie)

As long as you're not suggesting Patrick Lalime ;)

UFAs 2011

Auld would be alright. Price is about right anyway.

Agree! You didn'tt have to have a very large hammer to hit that nail right on the head! I've felt horrible for Justin Peters all season-I never believed he was ever a "back-up" goalie.When he played up last season the more he played the better he got.You may be right in that this season hurt him in more ways than 1 :(

Notice no "exit interview" like he didn't even exist...

I said from the beginning Manny was the clear choice for backup for a lot of reasons.

1.He seem to love that role and anyone who is the "backup" for Cam Ward better love it knowing they will only play about 15 games maybe.

2.He seem to fit in the locker room and on the bench :)

3.Could he have kept the guys a little more "loose"?

4.Great attitude for all the young players on the team-"heck your in the NHL doing what you love and...they are paying you too LOL have fun" :)

Stillman helped out immediately when he got here. Imagine where we would be now if he started the season here. I think it wouldn't be a bad move to bring him back.

Cole deserves an extension, and JR already said that signing him is top priority.

I still think Jokinen has that naturally scoring ability this team needs. We should bring him back.

LaRose brings too much energy to this team to let him walk away.

I think there is two main problems this team needs to address in the offseason: 1 - faceoffs- we need a second line center WHO CAN WIN FACEOFFS. 2 - PP- I think if we had Stillman all year, the PP percentage would be better. Also, faceoff help will make the PP better.

I think it should also be a goal to bring up one of the Checkers full time next year.

With everything that I have said, there are too many forwards - someone has to go.. Ruutu was used as a 2nd line center this year, and I just don't think it worked out. He's an amazing player that you can count on bringing a physical game everynight, but he may be used as trade bait to bring in a more reliable center who can win faceoffs. Who? I don't know.. I guess we could guess by looking at teams with too many centers - Boston? Nashville? San Jose? Columbia? Maybe a return of Cullen? (knowing JR, wouldn't surprise me)

As far as the D goes, I think we finally move on from Pitkanen. And what was Joslin's plus minus rating by the end of the year? He could have a lot to offer. I would be comfortable with this...

Stillman Staal Cole

Skinner NewCenter Jokinen

Boychuk/Dalpe/Bowman Sutter LaRose

Samson Matsumoto Bodie

Corvo Gleason

McBain Allen

Harrison Joslin

Maybe by eliminating Pit's contract and using Ruutu in a trade (I think he's due over $4 mil next year) we can afford a really good and reliable center for the 2nd line.

No Tlusty.. Maybe he's used to bring in a center. Maybe he's used to move up in the draft

Edited by jeromeo87

I agree that Tlusty can walk. A full year playing mostly 3rd line and he really didn't impress, except sporadically. I'd say sign LaRose to 2 years for $3.5M (total) and then let Bowman, Boychuk and Samson fight for that other spot and 4th line minutes. I see Dwyer fitting in on the 4th line center, but he could also walk and let Matsumoto move up.

Center is where the ? will be. Does Sutter move up to 2nd line because Dalpe is ready? What about Riley Nash? He was all the talk of the last offseason, but he never made an appearance in Raleigh this year.

D needs to be the focus. A defense of Corvo/Gleason, McBain/Allen, Harrison/Joslin is just a timebomb that will look worse than this year's D. I can understand everyone ready to bail on Pits, but part of me is just frightened by that. He's only 27. Look at Pronger at 27. Look at Chara at 27. I mean, you're talking about a guy who is coming into his prime. JR has always said that D-men take the longest to play into the NHL game. You've got Pits primed for the next 5 years or so to be an elite D-man. Why would we bail on him now and start over?

It does not matter who we get for a back up goalie. IF Mo won't play them, then it's a recipe for failure. Poor Peters. I think he is a good goalie, and with some playing time could be a very dependable back up.

No goalie can sit on the bench for 65 plus games, and then come in and save our butts.

God forbid Cam gets an injury in game 71 and we have to use our back up.

If Cam got hurt in game 71 I think Peters with full knowledge he's the starter would be fine. But when he's literally randomly thrown in at his young age he's not ready. Manny was ready at anytime because he knew what it took to be a professional back up goalie, he knows it sucks but he knows how to embrace it. Peters just wasn't prepared when called on, which is a youth thing...youngins want to be the starter and truth is until the NHL they've likely never been a backup goalie before in their career because to make it to the NHL you've got to be the best. If your the best you've likely never been a backup goalie and it's a whole different ballgame.

No doubt there are many parts that can be considered, from those looking to return to those available as UFA. I'd like to see a determined TEAM/Organization commitment to lowering goals against and shielding Cam Ward from the burden of being the team's MVP.

If that Caps can do it, and finish first in the East, then this team can do it. Once that team goal is set the defensive players can be identified, even including Joni for consideration. However, I would want it in blood that anyone wearing a Canes sweater next season is commited to team success and the organizational goal of lowering GA first and foremost. If not, this is not the club for you.

With slight improvement from several young players, and a fix for the PP, this club can contend. However, if the goal of lowering GA is not set, the team may once again struggle for a playoff spot.

The problem with looking at the defense is that you can't really pinpoint ONE that should go. Gleason, Corvo, McBain, and Allen are under contract. I like what each of them bring. McBain may be the weakest of the group, but he's young and showing signs of improvement. Joslin and Harrison are both a FA, both great fits on a 3rd pairing, both pretty good character guys as far as I can tell. That's 6 guys right there. That leaves Pitkanen as a unique asset. Keeping him forces at least one of those guys out, but at the same time, the other 6 serving as an entire unit isn't ideal.

So it's really a dilemma for JR. Tough decisions will need to be made. Someone's going to be left out (possibly more) and it will hurt to see them go.

Stillman helped out immediately when he got here. Imagine where we would be now if he started the season here. I think it wouldn't be a bad move to bring him back.

I still think Jokinen has that naturally scoring ability this team needs. We should bring him back.

With everything that I have said, there are too many forwards - someone has to go.. Ruutu was used as a 2nd line center this year, and I just don't think it worked out. He's an amazing player that you can count on bringing a physical game everynight, but he may be used as trade bait to bring in a more reliable center who can win faceoffs. Who? I don't know.. I guess we could guess by looking at teams with too many centers - Boston? Nashville? San Jose? Columbia? Maybe a return of Cullen? (knowing JR, wouldn't surprise me)

As far as the D goes, I think we finally move on from Pitkanen. And what was Joslin's plus minus rating by the end of the year? He could have a lot to offer. I would be comfortable with this...

Maybe by eliminating Pit's contract and using Ruutu in a trade (I think he's due over $4 mil next year) we can afford a really good and reliable center for the 2nd line.

No Tlusty.. Maybe he's used to bring in a center. Maybe he's used to move up in the draft

I'm a fan of keeping Stillman for a year, maybe two. I, too, would love to see what he Cole and Staal could do given a full season.

I wouldn't break up the Ruutu, Skinner, Jokinen line, provided we keep Jussi. Keep in mind we have a TON of centers, or players who can/have played center. At some point half our forwards have been centers. I seem to remember Jussi being decent at face-offs.

Manny would be more than welcome to the team, considering he understood the situation in his last stint here. He would be a great fit, especially considering the personality he brought to practices. I know the other players missed that.

Tlusty has never impressed me either. I really don't see the appeal. I have nothing personal against him, but I'd rather see that position filled by one of the Checkers.

Yeah, I also agree we need to say bye to Pitkanen. He ate up a lot of minutes, but if he wasn't scoring or keeping other guys from scoring in that time period - what are we clinging to? Our defense was really really bad, and he was the spearhead of that defense. We should get a guy who is comfortable being a defensemen. Andrew Alberts anyone?

Yeah, breaking up the Ruutu, Jokinen, Skinner line doesn't sound great to me. But wasn't this team dead last in faceoffs? We HAVE to improve that

Edited by jeromeo87

Love the type of player that Stillman is, and love what Legace brought, but don't see tying up salary in a players pushing 40.

We have so many prospects ready to take a shot up front that top 9 spots should be only filled by players that are:

Point producers

Serious defensive upside (Sutter)

Prospects/Yutes/in their prime

Tlusty is a tough one. Former mid first round pick has shown flashes and basically responsible. A fair number of guys like him take a few years playing like he did this year then suddenly start scoring.

La Rose is really tough to know. He did score 16 goals. But that plus minus...Then again, fan favorite, great tude. Then again, really nice third line player, but that is also the spot I'd play our yutes. Hard to let him go in the end. Can not have Dwyer and LaRose in the top 9. If we see Boychuk, Bowman in the top 6 then fine.

Defense...with our current makeup we need a hard hitting solid stay at home veteran in place of Joni.

Veteran back up.

I actually think we're in decent shape defensively. Very young, so we'll be better next year and a guy like Alberts would be a solid 2 year pick up while Jordan and the College kids continue to develop. Dumoulin, Falk and Biega are all very legit prospects and I expect at least one or two of these guys will be with the team in 2012-2013.

Alberts could also come pretty cheap which would allow me to throw this out for discussion...Cam Ward and Eric Staal's best friend, Mr. Andrew Ladd, is a UFA...if we let Pits, Stillman, Bodie, Tlusty and maybe Harrison go there is a good bit of room to Give Jussi, Sutter and Cole a raise and resign Joslin(RFA). Boychuck and Bowman move up (still on entry level deals) and that's not too shabby. Plus there is room for Dalpe to get one more year to develop in Charlotte as this was his first full professional season...he and Justin Shugg can work together and develop some chemistry.

Jussi Staal Ladd

Cole Skinner Ruutu

Boychuck Sutter Bowman

Samson Dwyer LaRose

Corvo Gleason

McBain Joslin

Alberts Allen

Do you want us to be the first overall pick next season? That lineup is terrible especially the D. Ladd isnt coming here. Skinner is not ready or built to be a center in the NHL.

Yeah, breaking up the Ruutu, Jokinen, Skinner line doesn't sound great to me. But wasn't this team dead last in faceoffs? We HAVE to improve that

But simply getting one 'face-off' guy in the off-season isn't improving (much), the centres on this team as a whole have to get better at doing face-offs.

Officially have the 12th pick in the draft 12/13 were Fowler and Gormley last year...2009 jury is still out, 2008 say Meyers/Teubert and we got Boychuck at 14...good picks to be had there.

Officially have the 12th pick in the draft 12/13 were Fowler and Gormley last year...2009 jury is still out, 2008 say Meyers/Teubert and we got Boychuck at 14...good picks to be had there.

That was last seasons class though. I dont think we will get any NHL ready guys at 14 this draft. Interesting to see if we go after a Dman or a center

That was last seasons class though. I dont think we will get any NHL ready guys at 14 this draft. Interesting to see if we go after a Dman or a center

There are two guys I like in particular:

1 - Joel Armia (RW-Right shot [we need more of those])- Big guy, can score - currently playing in the top professional league in Finland (on a first line too I think). He's doing pretty well there.

2 - Jamieson Oleksiak (Defense) - he's huge. 6'7, 244 lbs, drawing comparisons to Chara (obviously) and Myers. Really good shutdown guy.

I know we picked up a lot of dman in the last draft, but I really like Oleksiak. I think if you get a chance to take someone who could possibly be Chara-like, you do it.