The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
coastal_caniac

The Official 2011-12 Off-Season Thread

???

My understanding of the Cap is the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the league and NHLPA determines the Min/Max. So if the Cap is going up, then each club's share of Revenue went up (even more).

The Max is $8MM above the per team share of league revenue required for Player Compensation, and the Min is $8MM below the amount. So if the Cap goes up, the per team share of Revenue went up even more.

Example:

Salary Cap of $62MM means the share per team required for Player Compensation is $54MM (62-8).

The required for Player Compensation is a % of the TOTAL Revenue per team (e.g., 57% of the total). So using $54MM and dividing by .57 means the per team total revenue share is $94.7MM (or league revenue of $2.8+ Billion, being $94.7MM per team x 30 teams).

Now there are lots of expenses to run a team, so if a club pays the Min of $46MM (54-8) to players, the remaining $48.7MM (94.7-46) covers all the other salaries and expenses (leases, equipment, coaches, staff, marketing, etc.). So gate receipts, concessions, parking, etc. matter.

Anyway, if the Cap goes up, so does the revenue per team, where 57% goes to players, and the rest keeps the lights on, etc.

I'm not even going to pretend I know anything about the details of the NHL cap so I'll take your word for it. I'm sure all your details are correct but I always thought the purpose of imposing a cap max and minimum was to keep all the teams within the same range. MLB has been talking about adding a cap for years so that teams like the Red Sox and Yankees won't keep cornering the market in expensive free agent signings, hoping it'll give other teams the chance to be competitive for them. Never goes through though because what's proven year after year is that how much you spend doesn't guarantee any kind of success.

Regardless of the revenue sharing piece, the team still has to pay out the salaries and some teams will be able to spend to the max and others will barely be above the cap floor. The Canes will fall somewhere in between, staying closer to the floor than the top. Raising the cap max will likely push them closer to the have-nots or in nicer terms, the budget teams.

.... The Canes will fall somewhere in between, staying closer to the floor than the top. Raising the cap max will likely push them closer to the have-nots or in nicer terms, the budget teams.

I agree about the approach as "staying closer to the floor", but I think in relative terms they're not moving closer to the have nots. They're already there.

I agree about the approach as "staying closer to the floor", but I think in relative terms they're not moving closer to the have nots. They're already there.

Agreed, I was trying to sugar coat it. ;)

I think Joni cares about the green in his wallet mixed with a team thats going to make the playoffs more often then us. I'd see him on the Wings in those regards. If they want him.

According to the Atlanta boards, negotiations with Ladd have broken down with the talk of moving the team. If we lose Jussi, I would love to see him back. Just wonder if the Canes could afford him.

According to the Atlanta boards, negotiations with Ladd have broken down with the talk of moving the team. If we lose Jussi, I would love to see him back. Just wonder if the Canes could afford him.

He is a RFA, so I'm not sure how that would play out. It's rumored Jussi Jokinen could be searching for a $3 mil contract. Would Ladd take less than that?

I don't think Ladd and Jokinen compare at all. Ladd is like Ruutu-light, a checker/grinder who can score once in a while. Jokinen is a balanced utility player, more like Cullen. Ladd can kill penalties and boost the team with physical play, but I don't see him replacing the point production from Jokinen. Besides, I believe that Ladd is still angry about being traded... I remember someone saying that he doesn't want to return to Carolina. Which I find sad considering how close he is to Ward and some of the other current Canes.

Jokinen is worth $3 mil, Ladd isn't.

I don't think Ladd and Jokinen compare at all. Ladd is like Ruutu-light, a checker/grinder who can score once in a while. Jokinen is a balanced utility player, more like Cullen. Ladd can kill penalties and boost the team with physical play, but I don't see him replacing the point production from Jokinen. Besides, I believe that Ladd is still angry about being traded... I remember someone saying that he doesn't want to return to Carolina. Which I find sad considering how close he is to Ward and some of the other current Canes.

Jokinen is worth $3 mil, Ladd isn't.

I find myself thinking the same thing. However, if you draw up the possible lines for next year there is a good chance Jokinen would end up playing on the third line.

Stillman Staal Cole

Skinner Ruutu Dalpe

Jokinen Sutter LaRose

Dwyer FA Bodie?

To me, it makes more sense to have Ladd in the place of Jokinen for the reasons you have already mentioned. There is, of course, a good chance Jokinen will not end up playing here and that spot occupied by either Bowman or Boychuk.

If we can't afford $3-mil for a proven 50-60 point producer who has the kind of versatility that Jokinen does then I will be convinced we are indeed an el-cheapo budget team. Particularly if we then sign Corey Stillman (face slap). I don't want to overpay for players but that number seems about right for Jussi, IMO of course.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Why would Ladd want to come back to the team that gave up on his development anyway.

Jussi is a steal for his point production.

I'd pay Jussi $3 million for a 3 year deal.

In regards to Stillman, JR said he thinks "he may have one year left in the tank". He also used similar words after the failed 2007 season when he went out of his way to keep as many Cup winning players as possible saying, "I thought they had one more run in them." He said he regretted using his emotions instead of his head. I don't think he's going to make the similar mistake again.

Please pay Jussi. notworthy.gif

Plus you get a character player I want to say the cliche bleeds red...but....yea most humans do but you get the idea. He loves this team and I doubt he wants to leave expecially since he's the kinda guy who knows the grass isn't always greener.

See ya later Joni to keep Jussi anyday. See ya later Chad for that matter...

i know he has had a great college and minor league career, but waiting for answer why dalpe will be on 2nd line??

Jokinen is worth $3 mil, Ladd isn't. JB

YES! thumbsup.gif

If we can't afford $3-mil for a proven 50-60 point producer who has the kind of versatility that Jokinen does then I will be convinced we are indeed an el-cheapo budget team. Particularly if we then sign Corey Stillman (face slap). I don't want to overpay for players but that number seems about right for Jussi. Coastal

TELL IT BROTHER! applaud.gif

Jussi is a steal for his point production. Legend

CAN I GET AN AMEN!!banana.gif

Please pay Jussi. TSA

TESTIFY! yahoo.gif

JR, the message is clear. Yes, we want Cole back, but don't you let Jussi slip away. Heck he might be your greatest find. Gotta lock that down.

i know he has had a great college and minor league career, but waiting for answer why dalpe will be on 2nd line??

It is odd for JR to make a statement like that so early but they must think Dalpe is ready to make the leap. I think until training camp is over nothing is set in stone.

I hope Jussi is just testing the FA market to find his value before negotiating with the Canes. I haven't heard JR make any of those line in the sand statements that if you don't like our offer go find another. I think we will do everything possible to resign Jussi. I hope so.

I'm not so sure Cole won't do the same thing. If there is a player on the team that knows how fast fortunes can turn it is Cole. I hope he stays too but I'm not as sure as others seem to be. I could see him in Philadelphia or Buffalo. I just hope Cole likes us best.

It is odd for JR to make a statement like that so early but they must think Dalpe is ready to make the leap. I think until training camp is over nothing is set in stone.

I think he wants to let Dalpe feel comfortable and not pushed. Like the spot is yours if you work for it kinda thing.

A nice story on Dalpe by Chip Alexander in the N&O

I know I'll have to prove myself at training camp

The expectations for Dalpe are high but it sounds like he knows it will take hard work to meet those expectations.

If Dalpe really does have a breakout NHL year, and is really up for top 6 duties, then I would be ready to have JR basically keep the forwards in tact with the demotion of LaRose and Dwyer to 4th line duties.

The only problem with it is the faceoff issue would remain a problem.

But

Cole-Staal-Jussi

While not a big name forward to go with Staal, based on the numbers, if Cole comes to play, that is actually a pretty good first line.

People mention Jussi's 50 points, remember that was in 70 games, and a bunch of those games were on the 4th line. If he'd kept that productivity through an entire season he'd have put up 22 goals, 40 assists and 60 points. That's a playmaker right there. But whoa, the guy also put up 30 goals two years ago.

Put another way, last year, despite injuries and 4th line duties, Jussi was #71 in the league among forwards in points per game. But the year before he was #55. If each team has 9 top 9 forwards and there are 30 teams, then at any moment there are 270 top 9 forwards. I know, I know, it's overly simplistic, but it gives a general ideal of a player's relative point production based on games played and the league's production.

Following that same logic one could extend it to say that there are 3 top line forwards per team, or 90 legitimate FIRST line forwards in the league. If we take Jussi's average ranking for the past 2 years in ppg it would be #63 in points per game over the past 2 years. Thus Jussi's production is not only top line worthy, but solidly top line worthy.

Now what about Eric Cole? Yes he is a game changing type player, but even with his great year last year, his .63 ppg, ranked him #115. Technically not a top 90 forward based just on that. BUT Cole was tied for #44 in goals, and as a nice bonus tied for #4 in the league in game winning goals. Plus, I don't really think Cole got going until at least 1/3 into the season.

So, suddenly the guy who couldn't finish is a legit top line player because he started finishing. In addition Cole brings game breaking speed and he hits people.

So Cole,Staal, Jussi is a nice blend of speed, strength, and playmaking. Maybe not the best first line in the game, but solid.

Of course where this team can really shine is the second line.

Cole/Staal/Jussi as the top line...

Leaves perhaps our best pure scorer on the second line Mr Skinner, with a near first liner in Ruutu, and an up and comer like Dalpe?

IF Dalpe raises to expectations, then teams must pick their poison because Skinner and Ruutu could be first line players, and if Dalpe brings the speed...that line could do some damage, especially vs. second d pairings.

Frankly I like a third line of Sutter/Boychuk/Bowman or Tlusty, whoever earns it. Lets our prospects get their final shot on NHL ice. See who steps up.

Anyway, I'd prefer to bring in one more seasoned veteran, say second line center, but that seems very unlikely.

If a couple of young guns can step up (Boychuk, Tlusty, Dalpe), then I can live with our line up as long as Cole and Jussi are in it.

Then all we need to do is replace Joni, fix the defense and get a back up goalie and we're good to go.

In all seriousness the things I am most nervous about it the replacing Joni and the signing of Jussi/Cole. If JR gets those things right, the future is bright.

Edited by remkin

so the lines are looking (if i read between the lines)

Stillman-Staal-Cole

Skinner-Ruutu-Dalpe

Larose-Sutter-Checker

Dwyer-FA-Checker

Allen-FA

Corvo-Gleason

McBain-Joslin

Ward

FA

of course again we let high profile FAs walk with getting nothing in return. we would be lucky if the team made the playoffs. The battle for Yakupov or Reinhart starts now

Edited by gocanes0506

I'd be okay with signing Stillman back for the top line as long as our team looks like this:

Stillman-Staal-Cole

Skinner-Ruutu-Jussi

Boychuk-Sutter-Dalpe

Dwyer-FA-Bodie/Samson

Allen-Legit 1st Pairing FA

Corvo-Gleason

McBain-Joslin

Ward

FA

I agree with rem that having both Jussi and Cole back makes this a stronger team. I think LaRose plays 3rd line and is locked there unless injuries push him up. I think Dalpe, if he works hard, can be that 2nd line guy. I suspect that at least two of Tlusty, Samson, Boychuk and Bowman are trade-bait if needed.

My biggest concerns are 1, "restructuring the D" and 2, face-offs.

1. Pits appears to be gone, which means JR is going to need a legit 1st pairing D man who can lay some wood on people and clear the net in front of Cam/FA backup. I suspect the rest of the D to remain the same, so not sure how this is restructuring.

2. Staal-Ruutu-Sutter-FA 4th line center. Hmm. Look at those centers. 2010-2011 face off stats... Staal (48%), Ruutu (41%), Sutter (44%). Not good. I actually think Ruutu should be on the wing and we should be investing in a 2nd line center who can win more than 50% of his faceoffs. Getting a 4th line FA center who can win faceoffs doesn't mean much when the guy is only on the ice for 6 minutes. I understand that Mo would throw him out there in key situations, PK time, end of game in your own zone, etc... but those are some ugly FO %s for our top 3 guys.

Finally, there is one thing that I really liked about JR's conference that hasn't been mentioned much here: getting our keys scoring guys off the ice during PK. You can tell that Staal's game really improved once he wasn't being asked to kill penalties. I like that line of thought. Keep your high-profile scoring guys fresh for what they're paid to do: score goals. Have the role playing guys out there to knock some heads and clear the puck. I think a Dwyer-FA center-Bowman 4th line should also be a key PK unit.