The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Playoff Thread

I wish I could do more than just wait for updates from theahl.com. Maybe they will decide to put one of the Charlotte games on TV. It's funny sometimes with the update on the boxscore it will go from 0-0 to 3-2 in a single update.

Hopefully it will be good for them having 3 home games in Charlotte. Big crowds will hopefully bring in some money. I don't know how much the Checkers rely on budget from the Hurricanes, possibly nothing outside of player and coach salaries, for everything else they may be on their own. Now if they can just get to the second round and bring 3 more home games to Charlotte!

Well, after a 6hr round trip to watch Game 3, the Checkers lost to the Bears 3-2. Just got home around 12:45 EDT.

A very sparse crowd tonight. My seat was right next to the Hershey Bears bench. I could stick my hand through a narrow space and touch the players IF I had wanted to.

Checkers gave up 3 goals in the first period. The first one, a REALLY weird one that I've never seen. The puck ended up on top of the Checkers' goal and was knock off the net by one of the Hershey Bears' player (at least that was how I saw it on the replay), it hit Murphy in the back of the head, rolled down his back and into the net. The goal counted and was not reviewed. NEVER SEEN THAT BEFORE! Murphy looked rusty.

In the second period, the Checkers came out and played better. Dodge scored a wrister, beating Holtby under his catching arm. Only scoring in that period. Bears seem to go into a turtle shell and played defense.

In the third period, Checkers came out flying, applying a lot of pressure, with Boychuk netting the 2nd goal in the 3rd period. Game ended with the Checkers getting a 4 minute PP with less than 2 minutes left, but could not get that tying marker.

Quick turnaround with both teams playing again in less than 18 hours.

Edited by hopper915

Must win game tonight. No question about it.

I'm a little disappointed so far in the lack of promoting the team in the playoffs here in Charlotte so far. When the Checkers had the Friday/Saturday night games where something was being given away you'd see ads for it on TV here.

I'm hoping Friday night's game will be a good crowd. Too bad I'll be in Raleigh, but hopefully some Triangle residents coming to Charlotte for Easter will go in my place.

Justin Faulk makes his debut tonight. Let's go Checkers!

Round trip from Winston to Charlotte and Back - 180 miles

Half a tank of gas - About 20$

Parking - 5$

Hot dog and fries - 13$

Second row of section 107 beside the Home bench (literally sitting next to Pogge) - Free (courtesy of my brother)

Checkers winning game 4 to tie the series 2-2 and force a game 6 in Hershey - PRICELESS

Checkers went down early 3-0 and then had goals by Sutter, Bowman and Osala to tie it up 3-3 :thumbsup:

Nick Dodge scores making it 4-3, Checkers kill a huge 5 on 3...4 minutes to go.

Bowman gets the empty net to make it 5-3.

Checkers Win, take a series lead 3-2 and will head back to Hershey to hopefully wrap things up.

:woohoo:

Faulk was looking really good in a Checkers uniform last night!

Yeah, Faulk was very impressive on both sides of the puck. In one shift (either the first or third since Checkers were attacking away from us, but I don't remember) Faulk had a huge hit that knocked the puck away from the Hershey forward and then he broke out of the zone with a pass from one of the guys, zoomed in on goal, beat Holtby and rang one off the post. My brother who has been to about 15 games this season was like.. I really like this Faulk kid. He had a good shooting touch, led his college team in points from defensmen, but still seemed to play responsible in the D zone. I'm sure he's good enough to play a full season in Charlotte next year and maybe even get a call up.

Even though we were down 2-1 at one point, Charlotte has owned this series ever since they stole game one on the road. Now Hershey has to win 2 in a row to take it, Charlotte just has to win on. Of course both the games are in Hershey, but we already won one on the road so it's not like it can't be done.

On our side of the Bracket WBS has a 3-2 lead over Norfolk, so that series is also going to at least a game 6.

Checkers were hanging onto a 1-0 lead in the 3rd thanks to a goal from Sutter, but Hershey tied it up 1-1 with just over 5 minutes to play.

Edit: Game goes to OT, Checkers lead shots 29-27

Checkers win with a huge goal in OT by Nicholas Blanchard!

Way to go Checkers! :woohoo:

The Checkers will play the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the East Division Finals beginning Thursday.

Schedule TBA

Wow ! Moving to the second round ! Way to go ! The (second) best part is knocking the big bad bears

out !!!

GO CHECKERS !! :yippee: It is fun to have somethiing post season to cheer for that is "ours".