The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Playoff Thread

Wow ! Moving to the second round ! Way to go ! The (second) best part is knocking the big bad bears

out !!!

GO CHECKERS !! :yippee: It is fun to have somethiing post season to cheer for that is "ours".

Its great having something to cheer for but it makes it even better knowing they're our future Canes too :)

cha_celeb110203.jpg

Some happy faces

East Division Final – Series “J” (best-of-7)

E1-Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins vs. E3-Charlotte Checkers

Game 1 – Thu., Apr. 28 – Charlotte at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

Game 2 – Sat., Apr. 30 – Charlotte at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

Game 3 – Mon., May 2 – W-B/Scranton at Charlotte, 7:00

Game 4 – Wed., May 4 – W-B/Scranton at Charlotte, 7:00

*Game 5 – Fri., May 6 – W-B/Scranton at Charlotte, 7:00

*Game 6 – Sat., May 7 – Charlotte at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

*Game 7 – Mon., May 9 – Charlotte at W-B/Scranton, 7:05

Well this is interesting. As the River Rats last season we played both WBS and Hershey in the playoffs. Only we met in different rounds.

Speaking of Albany I hope our friends Max and Sandpiper are finding ways to keep up with the Checkers in these playoffs.

SO GLAD we beat Hersey. I went to game 5 - atmosphere got crazy in the 3rd period. I'll probably go to some more playoff games. We have some real studs in our system, guys... They look really good.

We have some real studs in our system, guys... They look really good.

Yeah, Boychuk had at least one point in every game so far. I'm real excited about this team, too!

No matter what happens throughout the rest of the playoffs, as a Charlottean this has been one awesome season. Things did not look good in October but they bounced back to salvage the season and now have knocked the two-time defending champions out on their home ice.

There are several teams whose AHL affiliations are up in the air and are not in good spirits with their AHL teams. It's nice out of all the bad things that have happened to Carolina, at least we have a solid foundation in the Checkers.

I was wondering if anyone else went to any of the Checkers playoff games or will be going? We went last Friday and had a blast. I knew about 10-12 of the players (Keith Aucoin and Sheldon Sourey were there on top of all the Checkers that got called up this year. Attendance was announced to be 6100 (out of 10,000 seats) so they can use our support. The fans we talked to seemed to appreciate that we came over to support OUR minor league team. I would think that there will be more fans in the seats for the Division Finals. Will be loading up my Van with 5 other Caniacs for game 5 in the Division Finals (May 5). It is a looooonnnnnnng time until next September, so if you have nothing to do that night, come on over and join us............... tickets for games 3 and 4 are on sale now, tickets for game five will go on sale once that game is needed.

Great info, thanks for letting us know the tickets have gone on sale.

Here's the thread we've following the Checkers playoffs in:

Yeah, Boychuk had at least one point in every game so far. I'm real excited about this team, too!

Zac Dalpe has impressed as well in the playoffs. 3 goals and 5 assists, 8 points and +4 in 6 games. Outside of the great win in game one by Pogge, Mike Murphy turned the Series around going 3-1 with <3.00 GAA. He may be the MVP so far.

Wilkes-Barre has been by far the best team in the regular season, but they surrendered home ice against Norfolk and had to claw back into that series. Of course they won 3 in a row on the road, so that's encouraging from there side. But as we've seen time and time again in the NHL, the best team doesn't always win out. Look at Vancouver struggling to put away Chicago, Philly struggling with Buffalo, Sharks/Kings going to 6. Only dominate team so far is West #3 Detroit, and Washington also looking good in the East, going to 5.

I've already talked about it in the Playoff thread, but just to answer Kat's question briefly, I did attend the Wednesday night game 4, driving from Winston, and at least one person on here drove from Raleigh. If I can I would love to attend a second round game, but I don't know if I will make any. I'm saving up for a Memorial Day weekend vacation with my wife, so all our spending money is going into that pot right now.

Checkers are playing the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins in the next round.... a couple of familar faces are on their team.... Andrew Hutchinson and Jesse Boulerice.

I had no idea Jesse Boulerice was still playing anywhere.

I had no idea Jesse Boulerice was still playing anywhere.

With a -13 plus-minus, I don't think he plays much. How did he EVER doan a Canes jersey?

With a -13 plus-minus, I don't think he plays much. How did he EVER doan a Canes jersey?

He served a purpose at one time but I think they also thought he had some potential to develop into a decent role player.

I think Boulerice served as an instigator more than anything, although he will always be remembered for being knocked out in one punch by Aaron Downey. I don't really remember Hutchinson other than he was a member of the 06 team and was traded to NYR to get Cullen back.

I might go to game 3 or game 5 if it's played. If the two teams split in WBS I'm most likely going to get tickets for game 5. I wish we could get a Saturday night game because I could se that game having 10,000+.

To end this post, I encourage all of you if possible to attend at least one of these games. With Charlotte being home to a good number of former Pittsburghers, you can bet the bank they will show up so come do your part too :)

Edited by captain_jack88

Isn't Joey Mormina in the Penguins system? I remember we signed him and he played maybe one game for the Canes before being sent back to Albany. The only reason I remember him is because he was like 6'7 or something. Haven't thought about him in years.

Isn't Joey Mormina in the Penguins system? I remember we signed him and he played maybe one game for the Canes before being sent back to Albany. The only reason I remember him is because he was like 6'7 or something. Haven't thought about him in years.

Yeah, I think he was captain of the RiverRats at one point..

I drove from Clayton (15 minutes East of Raleigh) and made it to Game 3. Maybe I'll try to make it again.

Boulerice is a non factor. Maybe he'll do something stupid and get suspended again, like he did when the Checkers and Penguins played against each other and he hit a ref.

Edited by hopper915

Game one tonight should be interesting. WBS is coming off winning 4 straight, Charlotte 3 straight. Charlotte won game 1 in Hershey, WBS lost both home games 1 and 2 against Norfolk, but came back to win 3 straight in Norfolk. Charlotte also won game 6 in Hershey, so it seems like neither team has trouble playing on the road.

The Pens goalie is very good, so Murphy will have to just be that much better. Norfolk seemed to struggle scoring though and Charlotte has been scoring pretty good, so hopefully we can jack up his GAA a little bit. Charlotte scored more in the first round, but also gave up more.

WBS - 15 GF, 11 GA

CHA - 19 GF, 17 GA