The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Charlotte Checkers Playoff Thread

I'm heading down after work tomorrow. That's today's plan anyway.

From WRAL:

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/hockey/video/9543500/#/vid9543500

From Chip Alexander (N&O)

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/some-thursday-thoughts

The Charlotte Checkers have announced that Game #5 will be aired live Friday on TWCarolinas @ 7pm (channel 520, 519 Raleigh/Fayetteville)

My wife and I are heading to Charlotte for Friday's game. First time we've see the team and first time in the arena. We bought the 1/2 price special tickets offered to STHs and will be in Section 106, Row N. Looks like the lower bowl is filling up.

Good call g105, for those that aren't STH's here's the link and code to get the 1/2 priced tickets. I can't imagine those pesky Sabre fans would be interested in cheering on the Checkers in Charlotte so posting the link and code shouldn't be revealing any super secretive STH privileged information :lol:

The more the merrier , right?

CanesConnect-050311.jpg

The first 2000 fans in the door get a Checkers cowbell

224783_10150242551036013_353717476012_9139830_5065537_n.jpg

Good call g105, for those that aren't STH's here's the link and code to get the 1/2 priced tickets. I can't imagine those pesky Sabre fans would be interested in cheering on the Checkers in Charlotte so posting the link and code shouldn't be revealing any super secretive STH privileged information :lol:

The more the merrier , right?

I got my tickets before the 1/2 price deal came out. I got front row along the glass for $50 a seat. Those would probably be about $250 for a Canes second round game. I just checked and there are plenty of great seats available, and FOR HALF PRICE??? You can not beat that. No excuses for us to not have a bunch of Raleigh Canes fans to make the trip over. I went to a game the last round and had a blast. I want to see a bunch of Canes Jerseys in the seats. It is a loooonnnnnnggg time until next October.

Absolutely, the more the merrier. Hope to see a lot of fans wearing red. I don't have a Checkers sweater, so I'll be wearing my Canes red. Think that would be acceptable to the fans in Charlotte?

Absolutely, the more the merrier. Hope to see a lot of fans wearing red. I don't have a Checkers sweater, so I'll be wearing my Canes red. Think that would be acceptable to the fans in Charlotte?

Trust me, plenty of people wear 'Canes stuff to the games.

I wore my Red and my daughter wore her Black last game... Had to get them out of the upstairs closet where we store them in the offseason. People in Charlotte were very nice and appreciated us supporting OUR baby Canes....

Lets hope the Checkers can finish it out at home Friday game 5 and rest up. Go Checkers!!

Did not want to post this until today as it might have given some fair weather fans an excuse not to go to the game.... For the people who have legit excuses for not making the trip to support your Baby Canes tonight, Time Warner is carrying the game on either channel 519 or 520. But please if you can make the game tonight at all, OUR Checkers need support.

Did not want to post this until today as it might have given some fair weather fans an excuse not to go to the game.... For the people who have legit excuses for not making the trip to support your Baby Canes tonight, Time Warner is carrying the game on either channel 519 or 520. But please if you can make the game tonight at all, OUR Checkers need support.

Thanks. I already have my tickets but I would have gone anyway. I will tape the game and should be able to see myself as we have tickets along the ice. I agree, if you can make the game, get your Jerseys out of storage and come on over.

Can someone clarify something for me? Ms. G105 and I will be heading over for tonight's game. Is the TWCA and Bobcats Arena the same thing? Google map shows a downtown arena as Bobcats Arena. Is that where I should go?

Just got done watching on tv and I wish I could post under happier circumstances but Pens win 1-0 tonight. Checkers had good chances including one right after the Pens score. Bowman took a shot that hit both sides of the goal post.

We're still up 3-2 but game 6 is tomorrow and back in WBS so to say I'm not nervous would be a lie.

What goaltending in this series. 1-0 shutout by Murphy followed by a 1-0 shutout by Thiessen. Coming in to the series Thiessen had a GAA of 1.60 in the playoffs, so game 1 when Charlotte scored 3 I was thinking well maybe he was just that good because Norfolk struggled. No, he's just that good. Charlotte didn't rack up too many shots last night, but most were quality chances. Really a shame we couldn't score because Murph stood on his head and only let the one goal by with was a deflection. Anything else he saw he swallowed.

I am nervous too, but we have won road games in these playoffs. We won Game 1 and 6 against Hershey. We've won Game 1 in WBS... now Game 6?

Binghamton is already waiting for the winner of this series.

The Checkers were slow and didn't show me a lot, getting outshot by almost a 1-3 ratio until the Pens scored. Then they woke up and played, but Thiessen was too much for them. There was a good crown (almost 7,000) and lots of Canes fans from Raleigh.

Notes & observations:

1. The pricing of food and beverage items in the arena is strange. A beer for $8.75 ends up being $9.29.

2. Plenty of parking near the arena in private & municipal lots. We paid $5 one block from the arena.

3. The arena video board is supposed to be the biggest in any indoor arena. Maybe so, but the image is terrible, with many pixels displaying the wrong color or nothing. Sort of like the way the old Jumbotron at the RBC Center looked just before it was replaced.

4. Lots of kids in attendance, a good sign the Checkers are building a solid fan base.

5. The lower concourse is gloomy and dark. Concrete floor and a low black ceiling make you think you're in the bowels of a factory.

6. Plenty of leg room between the seat rows, a lot more than in the lower bowl of the RBC.

7. The third level is curtained off, sort of like the Greensboro days of the Canes.

8. And a note to the Canes' promotion team: Please DON'T EVER give out cow bells to the first x thousand fans. My ears are still ringing.

9. Be alert for highway construction on I-85 at night. We crept for miles a couple of times.

Just a few random thoughts. All in all, we had a great time. Too bad the team couldn't finish the series off. But I have confidence they will.

The Checkers were slow and didn't show me a lot, getting outshot by almost a 1-3 ratio until the Pens scored. Then they woke up and played, but Thiessen was too much for them. There was a good crown (almost 7,000) and lots of Canes fans from Raleigh.

Notes & observations:

1. The pricing of food and beverage items in the arena is strange. A beer for $8.75 ends up being $9.29.

2. Plenty of parking near the arena in private & municipal lots. We paid $5 one block from the arena.

3. The arena video board is supposed to be the biggest in any indoor arena. Maybe so, but the image is terrible, with many pixels displaying the wrong color or nothing. Sort of like the way the old Jumbotron at the RBC Center looked just before it was replaced.

4. Lots of kids in attendance, a good sign the Checkers are building a solid fan base.

5. The lower concourse is gloomy and dark. Concrete floor and a low black ceiling make you think you're in the bowels of a factory.

6. Plenty of leg room between the seat rows, a lot more than in the lower bowl of the RBC.

7. The third level is curtained off, sort of like the Greensboro days of the Canes.

8. And a note to the Canes' promotion team: Please DON'T EVER give out cow bells to the first x thousand fans. My ears are still ringing.

9. Be alert for highway construction on I-85 at night. We crept for miles a couple of times.

Just a few random thoughts. All in all, we had a great time. Too bad the team couldn't finish the series off. But I have confidence they will.

Liked the Chuck a Puck

Dislike the Checkers pregame being on the end with the seats rolled up.

Food was better than RBC.

Perfer RBC's location. Dislike Traffic around the TimeWarner and the one way streets in downtown Charlotte.

Disliked bigtime the two construction sites on 85 that cost me about 50 minutes getting home.

Liked less commercials during games.

Like checkers announcer in the stands better than that annoying Katie Miller at the RBC.

Like our Storm Squad over the Checkmates.

Liked Justin Faulk.... In another 2 years, Jeff Skinner may not be the only one we are talking about from the 2010 draft.

Mike Murphy Canes backup next year over Peters....

Dressing room, bench location, and rolled up seat arrangement was a little weird.

Zamboni guys drove very slowly.

I didn't partake of the food. Looked like about half the concessions were closed.

Didn't find it difficult at all to get to the arena and out of town via I-277, I-77, and I-85.

Totally agree on the I-85 construction zones. You only lost 50 minutes? You drive on the apron a few miles?

Agree, Murphy for backup goalie next year.

The Chuck a Puck would make a great addition to the Kids n Community foundation fund raiser. Warf was there last night, maybe he came back with some ideas.

Lets hope the Checkers pull out a win tonight. Binghamton won their series against Portland last night and us winning would give us home ice advantage. Go Checkers!

Dressing room, bench location, and rolled up seat arrangement was a little weird.

Zamboni guys drove very slowly.

I didn't partake of the food. Looked like about half the concessions were closed.

Didn't find it difficult at all to get to the arena and out of town via I-277, I-77, and I-85.

Totally agree on the I-85 construction zones. You only lost 50 minutes? You drive on the apron a few miles?

Agree, Murphy for backup goalie next year.

The Chuck a Puck would make a great addition to the Kids n Community foundation fund raiser. Warf was there last night, maybe he came back with some ideas.

Next time I may try taking US 29 to US 49, and US 49 to 64.... It goes through Ashboro. GOOGLE says it is 20 miles shorter, an 11 minutes longer. But if it can get me out of those traffic jams from last night it would be well worth it. Anyone ever go that way to Charlotte.

Next time I may try taking US 29 to US 49, and US 49 to 64.... It goes through Ashboro. GOOGLE says it is 20 miles shorter, an 11 minutes longer. But if it can get me out of those traffic jams from last night it would be well worth it. Anyone ever go that way to Charlotte.

I take 49 to 64 when I go to Raleigh and back. Started doing so for reasons like you said, construction, traffic jams, accidents involving 18-wheelers, etc.

It's nice, once in a while you'll encounter slow drivers and/or impatient drivers that will ride your bumper until they get a passing point.

"The Chuck a Puck would make a great addition to the Kids n Community foundation fund raiser. Warf was there last night, maybe he came back with some ideas."

I gotta know what is the "Chuck a Puck" :)

Thanks Checkers/TWC for airing this game... It helped ease the "Canes withdrawl"