The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
g105

Fans of Other Teams

On the topic of lots of fans from other cities at the RBC, let me offer this observation. Without them, there likely would not be an NHL franchise in Raleigh. When Peter Karmanos was considering moving his team here, I'm sure one of the things he looked at was the size of the fan base. With the huge numbers of northern transplants here, the base was sufficient. Without them, hockey would NOT have worked in Carolina because the "natives" simply weren't interested in hockey, mainly football and basketball. And where did this fan base come here from? Detroit, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, and other large areas in the hockey-loving parts of the world.

I sit near many season ticket holders who live here and not a single one is originally from the Triangle. A doctor and his wife from California by way of Philadelphia, where he did his internship and became a Fliers fan. A nurse from Nova Scotia. A financial analyst from Pittsburgh has four seats behind me and has had them four ten years. He brings his family up from Wilmington every game. A guy and his son originally from Philadelphia also sit behind me. The list goes on and on.

I grew up in eastern North Carolina and never saw a hockey game until I was 60 years old. I converted, but I'm the ONLY "native" I know that regularly attends games. There are probably others, but I submit to you that the vast majority of hockey fans attending game at the RBC "ain't from around here."

So don't blame the "turncoat" Slugs, Pens, and Wings fans. Without them, we probably wouldn't have a team. And if I were transferred to a place like Boston or Pittsburgh tomorrow, I'd attend games there so I could watch hockey and I'd support the local team. But when the Canes came to town, I'd pull out one of my Canes sweaters and wear it and cheer, being polite all the while. So I understand why there are so many turncoats here and I can deal with it.

Now, I won't go into the problems with some of the visiting teams fans in the past. But I think it's getting better.

I understand what you said and I agree with you. I am not an American, but I'm here in Raleigh. If there is a match of any kind of sports that those athletes from my country come here to play Team USA, I will put a jersey with my country's flag on the chest and cheer for them. That rarely happens anyway and I have never experienced that. By the way, there is one thing that I don't understand. Let's say someone from Buffalo has lived in NC for maybe 10 or 15 years. He may be a Buffalo fan for a long time and has to be a Canes fan since he lives in Raleigh. I believe that he can bleed red, white, and black after being a Canes fan for around 5 years. By the way, he supports the Canes 78 games a season, but supports the Sabres 4 games when they play the Canes. What I don't understand is how he is able to truly celebrate at RBC when Sabres beat the team that he has supported for 95% of the season. How is he able to be happy seeing our guys out there walk back to the locker room with their heads down? Especially when it comes to a very important game during the playoffs push like the game on Sunday. I'm just wondering.

Edited by Nate31

have no problem with fans of other teams coming to the RBC Center (as the aren't drunk and disorderly). it helps pay the bills

I understand what you said and I agree with you. I am not an American, but I'm here in Raleigh. If there is a match of any kind of sports that those athletes from my country come here to play Team USA, I will put a jersey with my country's flag on the chest and cheer for them. That rarely happens anyway and I have never experienced that. By the way, there is one thing that I don't understand. Let's say someone from Buffalo has lived in NC for maybe 10 or 15 years. He may be a Buffalo fan for a long time and has to be a Canes fan since he lives in Raleigh. I believe that he can bleed red, white, and black after being a Canes fan for around 5 years. By the way, he supports the Canes 78 games a season, but supports the Sabres 4 games when they play the Canes. What I don't understand is how he is able to truly celebrate at RBC when Sabres beat the team that he has supported for 95% of the season. How is he able to be happy seeing our guys out there walk back to the locker room with their heads down? Especially when it comes to a very important game during the playoffs push like the game on Sunday. I'm just wondering.

Nate, to each his own. I guess the roots of loyalty never go away, even after 10-15 years. I don't pretend to understand why someone would support the home team 95% of the time and then their old home team the other 5%. But from a business standpoint, that fan is buying beer and tickets 100% of the time and that's where the bottom like is. $$

I don't necessarily agree with the original post. I know lots of native North Carolinians who attend Canes games regularly, or are STHs.

I also know some of those 95% fans as well. The ones who will show up to nearly every game and cheer for the Canes, except when the Canes play their OTHER team. I've never really understood that either. But I was born and raised in NC, and have been a huge hockey fan watching hockey since my parents got cable TV in the early to mid 80s. I ditched my previous favorite team immediately when the Canes moved here. No looking back. But saying that, I also think I'd have zero problem moving to another part of the country, and taking on a new allegiance for that areas home team as well. If I had to move to Colorado tomorrow, I don't see any reason why I couldn't become an Avs fan. But that's just me.

On the topic of northern transplants, I also know some who moved here long ago, and never followed hockey, even when they lived up north. But now follow the Canes. Stranger things have happened. But I think it's pointless to try and stereotype every Canes fan. There are all kinds, locals, natives, transplants, curious, new hockey fans, etc.

I don't know of any buffalo sabres fans that are actually hurricanes fans on the side. It's either one or the other. The other groups yes, I know several people who are flyer fans when they are in town and put the canes jersey on other games. I know one guy from buffalo who hates the sabres though :D

Edited by Ichigo-1

I know a lot of 95%ers....Wings, Flyers, Islanders, Rangers, even Caps. Strange, but true.

But it does bother me when people say most Canes fans are hockey fans from elsewhere. That simply isn't true. You can hear a lot of local accents at the RBC Center. ;)

Nate, to each his own. I guess the roots of loyalty never go away, even after 10-15 years. I don't pretend to understand why someone would support the home team 95% of the time and then their old home team the other 5%. But from a business standpoint, that fan is buying beer and tickets 100% of the time and that's where the bottom like is. $$

I agree that 'the roots of loyalty never go away.' It might be a mix feeling going to the game. You can see that many people come up with an idea that they stitch a half of each team jersey together. Weird and funny at the same time.

Talking about beer and food things. People, please go back to your seat before the game starts each period. Especially when you know that you sit in the middle of the row. Some people come in with 5-8 minutes left of a period. Just unbelievable.

I think some folks might be surprised at the number of natives who support the team. I'd even be willing to bet they represent the majority of STH.

Count me as not understanding the 95%ers. Most I know live far enough away they usually only go to their old team's games. But some switch back and forth. It may come down to whether you prefer to stick out in a crowd or blend in. If I moved I'd switch to the new team but it would take a while to really feel it.

I'm not a native, but I grew up in Georgia and moved here for my job 20 years ago, so I'm a different type of transplant. But there are plenty of locals supporting the Canes.

I can see how somebody has a hard time just abandoning a team they have supported forever though. That's a tough one.

I think some folks might be surprised at the number of natives who support the team. I'd even be willing to bet they represent the majority of STH.

Count me as not understanding the 95%ers. Most I know live far enough away they usually only go to their old team's games. But some switch back and forth. It may come down to whether you prefer to stick out in a crowd or blend in. If I moved I'd switch to the new team but it would take a while to really feel it.

I don't know, JLP. I could be wrong, but I doubt the majority of STHs are natives. I maybe run into a few here and there, but the vast majority "ain't from around here." When I say native, I'm talking about someone who was born and raised here. And 20 years ago doesn't count. That was well after the migration started. To me, they're still newcomers. I guess it's matter of defining a native.

On the topic of northern transplants, I also know some who moved here long ago, and never followed hockey, even when they lived up north. But now follow the Canes. Stranger things have happened.

I kinda fall into that category...I moved here in 2001 from New Jersey, and I kid you not - even with it being the home of the Devils, and all, never had any interest in hockey until moving here and discovering the Canes.

Edited by DianeNC

We need transplants, because their children will be 100% Canes fans, whether they like it or not.

We don't need fans that can't be respectful and conduct themselves in a decent fashion, whether they wear our jersey or someone else's. If the team ever needs money that badly, I'll break into my grandmother's trust fund and cover it.

I'm not a native, but I grew up in Georgia and moved here for my job 20 years ago, so I'm a different type of transplant. But there are plenty of locals supporting the Canes.

I can see how somebody has a hard time just abandoning a team they have supported forever though. That's a tough one.

I guess I am the opposite - I pull for the team I grew up with only when they are NOT playing the Canes. I pull for the Canes 100% of their games - even when they play the Flyers.

I'm a native of NC (Burlington). I went from a Sabers fan as a snot-nosed kid to a Caniac in an instant at the Meet the Canes event when they revealed the logo/jersey, coach and players to Greensboro. I hate HATE admitting it, much like my sister hates admitting to being a Backstreet Boys fan in her youth, but since my big brother was a Buffalo Bills fan in the 1990's, I was too, then from there I pulled for the Sabers. Of course I never saw a Sabers game on TV - only through collecting cards did I know what they looked like and it was their colors/logo that I liked. The first hockey game I ever saw was live in Greensboro - Canes vs Pittsburgh (ended in a tie) when Francis was a bad-guy. It was amazing and I've been absolutly obsessed with the Canes ever since. It only takes ONE game to get hooked and if being addicted to hockey is wrong I don't ever want to be right.

Bury me in my Brind'Amour jersey.

The Sabres played in Greensboro several years before anyone knew what a Cane was! I saw them play the Caps in Greensboro coliseum in an NHL preseason game back in 1991. I hung around and got an autograph from Mogilny after the game...and got quite an shock when I saw Rick Vaive smoking a cigarette! Back then the NHL played a lot of pre-season games in neutral cities for "exhibition" purposes. It's interesting to look back and see who played where back then. I recall the Kings playing in Charlotte one season.

I don't know, JLP. I could be wrong, but I doubt the majority of STHs are natives. I maybe run into a few here and there, but the vast majority "ain't from around here." When I say native, I'm talking about someone who was born and raised here. And 20 years ago doesn't count. That was well after the migration started. To me, they're still newcomers. I guess it's matter of defining a native.

I could be wrong too. Just a gut feeling. A better bet may be to include those who have moved here and weren't hockey fans before doing so. In other words, I think the "former/current fans of another team" are in the minority. Maybe not. Would be nice to know though.

I could be wrong too. Just a gut feeling. A better bet may be to include those who have moved here and weren't hockey fans before doing so. In other words, I think the "former/current fans of another team" are in the minority. Maybe not. Would be nice to know though.

As an original STH and still one,, think have a good handle on the "mix", and IMO its STILL alot more "people that moved here" over "natives".. But where in 2000-2004 it was probably 80-20%, its more 65-35% now JLP...you have more "new" fans after the cup, but the majority of fans are not from here, sorry.

Think this thread's idea is way off base anyway, who really cares where/when/how anyone became a canes fan?.. all that matters is they cheer for the canes now!

And kind of tired of these "he said/she said" couched threads about 'fandom"- Part of the Sports world IS FANS OF THE OPPOSING TEAM.. and honestly most times it makes a victory more fun and tailgating more fun, having some good nature ribbing between teams.

Think what the REAL PROBLEM, is NOT other fans or rivals BUT A RESPECT ISSUE, and how be it honestly- canes fans also, they treat the fan base, arena and area. Do not think this subject EVER comes up if rival fans have fan and respect their surroundings. And thought last sunday went along way to putting the worst of the worst behind everyone and moving into a new era of respect and more "normal fans" rooting for their respective teams but not druken louts or stupid behaivor.We had about 10 buffalo fans join out tailgate in the east lot and was a great time and no problems

I enjoy going to other arena's and enjoy talking with those fans, but still rooting for the canes and do want to be hassled just for being a cane fan in those buildings and as such expect the same from cane fans here to other fans... and no reason to look down on anyone that roots for nother team.. there is no 'right" team to be a 'fan" of

As hard as it was (years back) to convert to being a Canes fan,I did finally switch over.(It wasn't easy back then) It took me about 5 yrs, but I do back the Canes 100%. I still back my old team (Sabres) when they aren't playing the Canes or a game that would effect the Canes making the playoffs or during the playoffs! I try not to go to the Sabres games because its hard to go against a team that you had backed since you were a small kid. A lot of people that have never had to switch/ditch their old team don't understand what us transplants have done, But it does show our Love for the sport of Hockey!

I lived the first 5 yrs of my life in Buffalo then moved to Binghamton NY which used to have the Broome Whalers (AHL team for Hartford) and now I am a Fan of the Canes that used to be the Hartford Whalers and living here in NC!(Kinda crazy)So with all that said I hope the Canes make in into the playoffs but if they don't I still have my #2 team that I can pull for.

Canes In 7 said: Think this thread's idea is way off base anyway, who really cares where/when/how anyone became a canes fan?.. all that matters is they cheer for the canes now!

I started this thread as a separate topic as an offshoot of the GDT on the Wings game. There was a lot of discussion there about how many Wings fans attended the game. So rather than let the GDT drift totally off topic, I started a new one.

As far as where the fans come from, you're absolutely correct. It doesn't really matter.

BTW, I have a photo of you on Hillsborough Street in June, 2006 holding up your license plate at the SC parade. Cool plate, very appropriate for the occasion. :applaud: