The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianHockeyFan88

How do you deal with a loss?

I know everyone might be a bit emotional after last night (who wouldn't be?), but I wanted to know how other people deal when their sports teams lose.

I'm a bit too competitive for my own good. It may sound silly but I hate losing (it comes from the fact that as a kid, I was always on the losing team (not that I was a superbly athletically talented kid)). Plus, I'm a bit of a depressive type so I hold on to the feelings of the loss for longer than I should.

Ill just say that I knew that this was gonna be a tough one to end with the Bolts...with that being said...with the way our boys came out in the first and half of the second...I'm a little befuddled, vexed, confused, disappointed, etc. How does a team that has played out of their minds, come out and just look lost like that??? I don't get it???

Just have to let it go. I went to the game last night and expected 100% that we would win because they played so well against the Red Wings and Thrashers. Then the reality kicked in. I forgot that Canes were unpredictable. I was mad after the Bolts got the 2nd goal. After the 3rd goal, I pretty much gave up and just sat there with no emotion. I kinda prepared to lose. When you lower your expectation some, you will not be upset that much.

The Rangers and Sabres showed us that they deserve to be in the playoffs. I'm ok with those teams, but hate the fans. Some Rangers fans were at RBC last night and they were shouting "LET'S GO RANGERS" outside RBC. I understand that they were pumped up, but it was just so inappropriate doing that at RBC. Hope the Caps will beat them 4-0. Coming back from 3-0 to win 5-3 against the Bruins was unbelievable, but they have already used their luck.

I blame the schedule, it was just too hard to travel all the way to Europe and then play on the west coast.

Maybe the western conference teams should be given credit for managing to pay out there?

I try to find something else to pour my passion into. I pushed the Canes away from my mind for as long as I could, but I'm already back here posting. But it takes time to heal from that wound.

Edited by jb_online

I don't get to attached to the games anymore, I watch every game I can but when I know the game is going south I tend to just shrug it off these days rather then get mad. Only time that philosphy escaped me was the 2006 playoffs, where you kinda knew it was a now or never thing.

If we win I still jump around like an idiot, but a loss....I'm kinda already over it before the game ends. I blame Mo and then goto bed :)

Pretty much like legend, I don't let the bad stuff get to me. Just a game after all. Some live on more than others, this one will go down with 08, though not as bad since we were trying to come up from 9th rather than falling from 3rd. I didn't think they had a chance this year anyway, until they beat Detroit and the Rangers lost to Atlanta, so my hopes weren't very high.

The 2008 game 82 loss absolutely crushed me---and it took me a month to really get over it.

But this year I was not too confident about our chances after the poor February. We left at least

4-5 points on the table that I thought would come back to bite us. We lost the season there IMO.

I, of course, was hopeful when I saw them gel as a team and win unlikely games (ie. Wings), but

pinning our hopes on the last game didn't allow me to get too excited after what happened in 2008.

Other than correcting special teams and face offs-------I do wish we had some control over the

scheduling. No, I am not making excuses, but consider this. The Canes and the Slugs had the most

back to backs. We had 21. This means half of our season (42 games) was played in a back to back

situations. It seems to me that this is a season-long disadvantage against the teams who play, say

6-7 back to backs over the season. And points left on the table from fatigue etc. matter at the end.

This loss did not bother me so much because I never really convinced myself we were a playoff

team. Playoff teams can win faceoffs and have decent special teams. We have neither, yet.

Well, I am still raging at this debacle/embarrassment, so I haven't quite made it through all the stages of loss yet.

But first I screamed a filthy ear burning profanity laden diatribe at my TV and specifically at Paul Maurice. That done, I curled into a fetal position on the floor and wept like a child. Then I blamed myself, I mean, why else would they have lost. Why else would I have been denied the unprecedented joy of watching Skinner play in his first post season, and as an 18 year old rookie? How else could the same team that shut out Detroit and destroyed Atlanta put on this show for our home crowd just nights later? It had be something I had done wrong. The night ended with me at the local Irish pub taking the loss like any real man would, in 6 or 7 glasses of Jack Daniels whiskey.

I fully expect the last stage of dealing with this loss to be denial. I fully expect to be wearing my Hurricanes jersey and hat when the playoffs begin as I sit there squinting my eyes pretending one team is my beloved Canes, while I mumble and drool and froth at the mouth at what could have been.

Turn off the TV, and wait for the next game. Although I was not happy with the results of the last game, I thought this team was the most fun to watch since 06.

I will deal with this particular loss by celebrating the fact that the Charlotte Checkers are in the AHL playoffs and will pick apart any shred of news, box scores, highlights, online real-time score updates (since they aren't on TV) and cheer them on until they hoist the Calder Cup.

In general, I get mad, frustrated, but not at the boys in Red. Usually there is some manner of "luck" with which to be angry at. Shots that rang off the post, empty net shots that got wiffed on, a goal that Cam stopped clean and then somehow just wobbled past the red line to stop 1 inch into the goal. Bad officiating, like Staal gushing blood with no call, is always a prime suspect. But even I have to admit sometimes the boys just play like crap. Yes, sometimes they do. If it's a mid season game I remind myself there's still X number of games to go. It's "just" one game. Until that one game becomes the last game... and then... offseason insanity.

If it's a mid season game I remind myself there's still X number of games to go. It's "just" one game. Until that one game becomes the last game... and then... offseason insanity.

:blink: Whoa.....Math major/Engineer, eh? :D

:blink: Whoa.....Math major/Engineer, eh? :D

Food scientist actually. :) NC State 2003, 2009.. WOLFPACK

Edited by ericncsu

I will deal with this particular loss by celebrating the fact that the Charlotte Checkers are in the AHL playoffs and will pick apart any shred of news, box scores, highlights, online real-time score updates (since they aren't on TV) and cheer them on until they hoist the Calder Cup.

Anyone still upset about the Canes season being over should read this and be excited again. Thanks Eric!

The season is not over until the Checkers are drinking.. well damn.. what do a bunch of 19 year old's drink out of the Cup? Mountain Dew? LOL.. hold the Champagne.. pass the Dew!

The season is not over until the Checkers are drinking.. well damn.. what do a bunch of 19 year old's drink out of the Cup? Mountain Dew? LOL.. hold the Champagne.. pass the Dew!

I believe the ALE folks should look the other way should this occur

I think this is my first post here, regardless of that, I was deeply disappointed leaving RBC Saturday night directly after the loss, but to be honest until the Rangers lost and we dominated ATL and DET I didn't expect to be in. I didn't get my sails too full, but after seeing the lamp lit for the third time Saturday night whatever wind I had in my sails was gone. By the end of the game and epic collapse I was already over it somewhat. With 2 minutes left to go my brother in law and I started clapping and didn't stop until after the jersey's were given away. I just put on my St. Patty's/Canes hat and smiled and was thankful that we even had a hope.

Well I go into complete denial.I listen to music on the ipod from the RBC center-"I got soul" "All In" "Howling for you" "When thers nowhere else to run-if you can't hold on" ....watch clips of the Canes games on youtube..wearing my Canes jersey...man I may need therapy to get me through the next 6 months...oh and I come here and look for anything about the CANES...