The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Exit interviews

From Paul and Chip as they come in: (for those who don't follow twitter)

**Videos should start popping up on CanesVision Online at any time now

Stillman also spoke of instant rediscovery of chemistry with likes of Staal, Cole. "It was fun. Hopefully I can do it again"

Stillman thinks Skinner deserves Calder: "In the big games, he performed. He's a great player and he's only going to get better."

Cole on missing playoffs: "The pit you have in your stomach, it will take a couple of weeks to go away you have in your stomach, it will take a couple of weeks to go away."

Cole on Ward's season: "He was so calm. He seems unflappable. Even when he's shaking a little bit it doesn't show. He was great."

Cole added that he was disappointed not to be named an alternate captain, but friend encouraged him to embrace leadership role anyway

Both Cole and Stillman so far talked about org heading in right direction, which is key for veteran UFA's to be that clearly want to win soon

Cole on future: "I'd definitely like to stay. It's a real good group here. It's exciting to think about what lies ahead."

Ward on late-season surge: "You can't help but think why we couldn't put that together earlier in the season."

Ward mentioned absence of 14-game losing streak this season, which is what everyone mentioned at this time last year

Ward believes reason Canes may have missed playoffs was never getting on real hot streak during season until the end.

Ward says he would have felt fresh going into playoffs, even after playing 74 games. Ward says he still felt fresh for playoff run despite heavy workload. Credited offseason training, increased mental toughness

Ward say he won't ponder all the what-ifs. "You go crazy if you think that way." He also says he won't be watching playoffs on TV

Ward didn't mention it, but word was he played through an injury late in the season. Feeling is Canes will look for a veteran backup goalie and would like to reduce Ward's workload to 60-some games

Bowman headed to Charlotte for AHL playoffs. "I'm not the happiest about it. I'd rather be here in the playoffs."

Bowman: "I'm comfortable here. I have the confidence I can play in this league."

Corvo says in training camp he didn't know who Skinner was at first. Thought he was Chris Terry. "Once he got going ..."

Corvo says during season he had feeling some losses would "come back to haunt you." Sure enough.

Canes apparently will look to restructure the back end. Where Joni Pitkanen figures in that plan, it's hard to say.

Pitkanen on future with team: "I like it here. Good organization, good city, good fans. We'll see."

Pitkanen on his future: "There are a lot of things to think (about), but we'll see later." Said he's enjoyed last 3 years.

Staal on Maurice: "He did a phenomenal job. We had a young team and he did a great job getting us on the same page. I don't think we had enough. It had nothing to do will Paul. It comes down to us."

Staal added that Maurice did "phenomenal job," said disappointing finish will still be bothering him coming into next season

Staal on late-season groin injury: "We were fighting like dogs... I wasn't going to sit there and watch the team play."

Staal on finish being a learning experience for younger guys: "For me, I'm tired of learning"

Ruutu said Skinner's biggest improvement during season was defensively. Says can be 40-goal scorer. "The sky's the limit for him."

Ruutu: "I really felt like we came together at the end of the season. We had a chance to surprise people in the playoffs." "I thought we could have had a good run, I thought we had good chemistry, thought we could go much further."

Jokinen on returning to team: "That's what I'm hoping. I've been here 2.5 years and felt I've played the best hockey of my career here."

Jokinen, as expected, says he hopes to stay with team and "be a part of the organization for a long time."

LaRose says not thinking about new contract yet. "It's tough letting go of a season like this. I'm not worried about that."

LaRose on finale: "I felt from the morning on that we were going to win that game." UFA says he hasn't begun to consider future yet.

LaRose said individual stats not as important as other elements he brings to team, which he said are most important in playoffs

Chip: Pretty tough listening to the players, one by one, talk about last loss. You can see the pain in their eyes. Especially Staal

Gleason on being asked to abstain from fighting: "I'm Irish. I'm glad I have a mouthguard b/c my teeth would have been grinded right down"

Gleason said he was generally happy with his season, but wished he had done better on power play.

Gleason said he did what he was told by coaches on avoiding fights, but smiled and added, "We'll see what happens next year."

Gleason expressed support for Maurice, calling him "players' coach." Said team didn't fully play his system until late."I'm a fan of his. He's got my vote. He's a players' coach. He lets his players play."

Chip: Not surprising to hear players support Maurice, of course. No one will come in and say, "You know, the coach probably needs to go."

Sutter on missing playoffs: "We had a younger team. Everyone was feeling good with their bodies. We'll never know what could have been."

Sutter, a restricted free agent at the end of his rookie contract, foresees "easy process" in getting new deal.

Sutter said he's embraced defense-first role, but still likes to score goals. "There's no better feeling."

Paul: Canes had to rely on Sutter so much for D. If better as a group, could free him up to score more, which he's certainly capable of. Crazy to remember Sutter getting held up at blue line as rookie to beating guys with power moves to inside this season. Huge progress

Chip: Seeing Sutter in T-shirt or without his equipment, he looks so lean. You wonder how good could he can be at 25, with 10 or 20 more pounds

Harrison on Ward's play: "He gives us that get-out-of-jail-free card."

Harrison says he feels he's started career here, sees "something special" happening, wants to stay a part of it.

Harrison will be unrestricted FA but probably would agree to sign for close to the minimum again. Sounds like kind of guy who will be back.

McBain Tough for him to be done this early, last year he played post-season in Charlotte and always had classes in college. On playing in the World Championships for Team USA said he'll have to wait and see.

Skinner disappointing to come so close and not get into the playoffs. Grateful for the chance the organization took on him. Will continue offseason conditioning workouts with Gary Roberts this summer.

Skinner on being in the spotlight all year wasn't overwhelming, the All-Star weekend was a lot but not that big of a deal. Would play for team Canada, if given the chance, but will discuss with Canes management and they will have a say.

Skinner said he went from shock at first part of season to feeling more and more comfortable. Said each vet helped him in own way.

Paul: When asked to pinpoint season highlight, All-Star, 30-goal scorer Jeff Skinner started with being drafted. Oh yeah. That happened too. Skinner also mentioned the stretch drive as a learning experience. Looked to me like he was teaching as much as learning.

Skinner's offseason goals: "Get stronger, get quicker, improve my first couple of steps."

Skinner on season: "There were memories I'll never forget, a lot of big moments for me. It was a special year for me, one I won't forget."

Joslin is looking forward to getting a deal done and playing here for years to come.

Erik Cole

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/cole041111.mp3

Tim Gleason

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/gleason041111.mp3

Eric Staal

http://downloads.hurricanes.nhl.com/audio/interviews/staal041111.mp3

That's a wrap!

Don't they normally have videos of the players for the exit interview?(And seriously, we can take down the last game or at least bump it back from the main page, don't need that reminder lol)

Edited by Ichigo-1

Don't they normally have videos of the players for the exit interview?

Im sure videos will be posted at the conclusion of the interviews.

(And seriously, we can take down the last game or at least bump it back from the main page, don't need that reminder lol)

Luke, you have the power....

Signed, Your Father

:lol:

Coaches around the league are being fired like crazy today. So far Florida, Minn, & Ottawa all fired. Plus NJ coach not coming back.

So if Mo was to get it. It would happen sooner rather than later.

Contract offers will be made in the next month or two for those they want to keep. July 1st is free agency.

Gleason expressed support for Maurice, calling him "players' coach." Said team didn't fully play his system until late."I'm a fan of his. He's got my vote. He's a players' coach. He lets his players play."

So many contradictions in this it's nuts.

If your told not to fight then how is Mo letting players play their game? Ruu and Gleason very obviously didn't play their game this year. Ruu appeared to finally say the heck with it and started drilling people again during....guess what...that 7-1-1 run.

Also if you love a coach wouldn't you "buy" into his system a little earlier in the year. Maybe 10-20 games to iron out kinks in the system for good measure... not.... games 70-82?

It was painfully obvious Gleason was told not to fight, but is this the first time it has been acknowledged that the coaches instructed him to tone it down? If it isn't, I must have missed it somewhere along the line.

Wow. I gave Harrison so much crap end of last year, the beginning of this year, but disclosing that he'd take near minimum to stay, especially after the solid season he had, I'm impressed even more. I hope he stays on. There's only one D that I'd like to see hit the road Bruce Banner style.

Harrison's interview was impressive, you could tell he wants to stay here and sees the potential of the team. You could feel the heart break in Cole, and the optimism of the future with bowman and skinner (I didn't think anyone could look younger then skinner, until bowman's video came up :D)

I got the feeling that Pitkanen is a lousy poker player. He had "either I get more money or I'm outta here" written all over his face.

Coles interview got my attention. He wanted the playoffs so bad because he was injury free for a change. I felt for the guy.

I thought the same thing. In 2006 he sat out all but the last two games of all 3 rounds and the finals watching his team mates go through the battle and win the war. He really deserved a chance for a do-over.

And Cole has been fairly ineffective in the playoffs, possibly due to nursing injuries, would have been interesting to see him try to erase that from his resume.

Cole will be back. The one I'm a tiny bit nervous about is Jussi. We really need him back and I think he will be, but all eyes are on Cole and Pitkanen. JR better not let Jussi slip away.

I was most surprised by Joni's interview. he's right that the Canes scored plenty of goals, though he overstated the degree. However, the interview is void of any comments on the defensive side, which he seemed not to care about.

I got the feeling that Pitkanen is a lousy poker player. He had "either I get more money or I'm outta here" written all over his face.

:coollaugh: You just became the new hero of the Canes board imo!!! Priceless!

either that or---------he had a less that desirable exit interview with upper management.

either that or---------he had a less that desirable exit interview with upper management.

I may be wrong but I think the media got them first.

Love Harrison's attitude. Skinner aside, Harrison was the biggest surprise of the season for me. Coming in, I was half expecting him to become this year's whipping boy just as AWard was LAST season. Jay had a really solid season. I would really like to see him back.

This was the first interview of Corvo I can remember where he didn't seem "down". Says to me that he is more of a leader in the locker room than he's ever been. Same can be said for Gleason as far as loosening up a little.

I really feel for Cole. Staal wears the C but I think Cole is the true leader of the team. This looks to be one of the most painful experiences of his career.

Wish McBain's interview went a little longer. Where's Joslin?

Overall there's a very strong sense of frustration, even anger. It's well beyond disappointment. They knew they had a great chance to go deep. I hope it sticks with them all so that they are hungrier in October.

I know Pits has never been a very good interview, but sheesh. I don't expect him back. That's $4.5+ we can use to resign everyone else. With Brindy and Kaberle's contracts finally done for, maybe that's a little more cash we'll have for signing a shutdown D man.

The countdown to October begins.

Edited by hctimo787