The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacmaniacm

Prayers for my fellow Caniacs!

I just wanted to say that I hope all of the Caniacs in the Eastern Part of the state are holding up after todays wicked weather! I got spared where I live, others were not so fortunate. I'm thinking of you guys. GO CANES!

Edited by caniacmaniacm

We missed the most of it here in Winston Salem as well.. it was just getting kicked up, as it passed through here it was getting stronger. A tornado passed very close to my mother-in-law's house in North Raleigh off of 401. My sister-in-law, brother-in-law and 1 yr old nephew were home at the time. They are OK, but a couple houses down the street from them got absolutely leveled. I hope everyone is OK. Big round of applause to all the local police and fire departments in the surrounding counties, I know they are working overtime tonight.

Moved from the OT weather thread. Nice thread caniacmaniac :)

Last I heard the fatalities were up to 7 from the storms and the damage will take a long tome to sort through and clean up. Hope everyone here stayed safe and headed all the warnings. Don't know how but Cary/Apex escaped the worst of it but the debris scattered everywhere is a good reminder how close we came to a catastrophe. Looks as if Sanford, Holly Springs and downtown Raleigh got the worst of it around here, hopefully most were able get to a safe shelter in time.

Its times like this when I'm thankful for all those tornado and hurricane drills the kids have at school, the kids did as they were told, no one panicked and you could tell they were well prepared for something like this.

Scary stuff, check out these pictures

lowes.jpg

storm2.jpg

storm1.jpg

4daa199f-6211-5227-0c7c-cd91a596296c-640x425.jpg

4daa199c-b804-115e-fc89-3b03abac11a0-640x480.jpg

WRAL's photo gallery

Hope y'all are ok. All that crap started just east of me here in Norman on Wednesday and didn't stop til it got off the coast of the Outer Banks. Looking at some of the storm reports on the Storm Prediction Center's site, it looks like southwest/central Raleigh took a hit too. Anyone out there know how close it got to RBC Center?

I live on Buffalo road. I left there and drove to my friend's house in Wendell. After the tornadoes passed the area, I went back to my place taking 540 and got off on Buffalo Rd. The traffic light was not working and the traffic was so crazy. Glad my place was ok, but no power. I took everything out of my refrigerator, carried them to my friend's house and stayed over night because the power is ok here in Wendell. I watched the news and just realized that some houses that are not too far from my place are destroyed. I'm so lucky. Hope everybody's ok.

Edited by Nate31

Hope y'all are ok. All that crap started just east of me here in Norman on Wednesday and didn't stop til it got off the coast of the Outer Banks. Looking at some of the storm reports on the Storm Prediction Center's site, it looks like southwest/central Raleigh took a hit too. Anyone out there know how close it got to RBC Center?

Carter Finley flooded.

My wife told me a man her moms neighborhood died to save his 5 yr old daughter. Such a shame that someone with that kind of heroism has to die. There was plenty of warning, but I'm sure no one expected them to be this bad and it still seems like it "popped up out of nowhere". Insanity.

I was planning on going to "Wings Over Wayne" at Seymore Johnson AFB on Saturday....I decided on friday night to nix that idea due to the weather events the 2 days prior....and my wife picks on me for being a weather channel freak. Meh. ^_^

Still thinking of the people out east...take care.

Relatives are in Holly Springs, said they're ok as are their neighbors. Nothing more than some broken windows, shingles ripped off, and a few tree branches down.

NCSU was having their spring football game yesterday and it looks like they got it done in time.

Looks like Bertie County took a worse hit.

It's not often a tornado hits a downtown of a city like Raleigh. It's a good thing this didn't happen at night.

Edited by captain_jack88

I'm near the Car Max store on Glenwood Ave. in NW Raleigh. We had some gusty wind all day and about 1 1/2" of rain in 30 minutes in the late afternoon, but no damage. Crazy thing is all the stuff that fell from the sky. Lots of small pieces of fiberglass insulation all over the neighborhood and I picked up a couple of chunks of foam insulation in the yard. Biggest was three inches thick and about 7x9" across. And a piece of 1/2" plywood about 4x6 feet landed in the neighbor's yard. Have no clue where this stuff came from, as no tornadoes were reported in this part of town. We were very lucky. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those less fortunate than us.

Very sad to see and hear of all the destruction and loss of life in North Carolina. By the time the storms reached here (Outer Banks) they had lost much of their intensity although damage reported from a tornado in the Village of Duck. This was a terrible storm system and I hope we don't see another for a long,long time.

I live in Harnett County and my daughter and G-kids came over and we bunkered down in the bathroom with about 20 pillows all around us when the winds, thundering and hail started. We were blessed to have the tornados go around us. Two miles down the road total destruction with fatalities. Very sad. All my Caniacs and North Carolina family/friends are in my prayers. Thanks for posting Caniacmaniacm.

Very scary and sad day down east, and here in Edenton. We were lucky as the Bertie tornado tracked about 20 miles to the west of us. Those in Colerain and the vicinity weren't, and 11 lives were lost. Sad, sad day.

escaped with no damage. Several homeowners near me had trees go through their roof. The Stoney Brook Trailer park near me got clobbered. Authorities doing a good job at clearing streets and restoring power. The loss of those killed in the storm puts everything into perspective.

I'm near the Car Max store on Glenwood Ave. in NW Raleigh. We had some gusty wind all day and about 1 1/2" of rain in 30 minutes in the late afternoon, but no damage. Crazy thing is all the stuff that fell from the sky. Lots of small pieces of fiberglass insulation all over the neighborhood and I picked up a couple of chunks of foam insulation in the yard. Biggest was three inches thick and about 7x9" across. And a piece of 1/2" plywood about 4x6 feet landed in the neighbor's yard. Have no clue where this stuff came from, as no tornadoes were reported in this part of town. We were very lucky. My thoughts and prayers go out to all those less fortunate than us.

We're close to you, a bit N and E. We have the same thing, debris fell from the sky. I found bits of wood, fiberglass, and tar paper in my yard and on my house.

Although we are both 5+ miles away from the tornado path, this is debris from the tornado. Hard to believe, but true. This stuff got taken up by the vortex, moved along, and then eventually flung out.

I'm a weather buff. (WX-RAY, it isn't W-XRAY, but WX, which is radio shorthand for weather.) This was some event. The radar was terribly frightening. There was no doubt there were serious tornadoes in action with those radar signatures. Even though I could see it was tracking south and east, I still went to the basement. Didn't take chances.

After an event like this, it reminds me that hockey is just hockey. I'm grateful to be safe and healthy today.

We're close to you, a bit N and E. We have the same thing, debris fell from the sky. I found bits of wood, fiberglass, and tar paper in my yard and on my house.

Although we are both 5+ miles away from the tornado path, this is debris from the tornado. Hard to believe, but true. This stuff got taken up by the vortex, moved along, and then eventually flung out.

I'm a weather buff. (WX-RAY, it isn't W-XRAY, but WX, which is radio shorthand for weather.) This was some event. The radar was terribly frightening. There was no doubt there were serious tornadoes in action with those radar signatures. Even though I could see it was tracking south and east, I still went to the basement. Didn't take chances.

After an event like this, it reminds me that hockey is just hockey. I'm grateful to be safe and healthy today.

Do you have an amateur radio license? Mine just recently expired, but I'm about to renew it. I did the SkyWarn training a couple years ago, probably should do it again for a refresher. The severity of the storms reminded me of it. Sometimes low hanging clouds and straight line winds get mistaken for a tornado, but there was no doubt about what happened yesterday. Even if there was no video of the actual tornado, the debris pattern and sheer scale of the damage told me all I needed to know. I've participated in the SkyWarn net in Raleigh during some bad storms. I don't know who does SkyWarn here in Forsyth county, I will need to figure that out.

Oh yes, that qualifies. That's why I said that, I knew there were videos from this particular storm. But even if there hadn't been you would have been hard pressed to convince me it wasn't a tornado. In fact that what the NWS does to determine if it was a tornado and what strength it was, they look at the debris and damages left behind.

Do you have an amateur radio license? Mine just recently expired, but I'm about to renew it. I did the SkyWarn training a couple years ago, probably should do it again for a refresher.

I never did the radio thing. I took Skywarn training since I was a WX buff, but let it lapse after I found out that most of the people doing it were radio geeks. I have no issue with radio geeks, I just wasn't one of them. :)