The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniacmaniacm

Prayers for my fellow Caniacs!

The tornado that ripped downtown Raleigh hit less than 2 miles from our house. We had no damage and only a few limbs down. Hail and a massive downpour for about 15 minutes. We live in between Five Points and Glenwood South, and we're about 8 miles down Wade Avenue from the RBC Center.

FYI - that latest video you posted, TSA, was taken from the RBC Bank tower downtown. That is about two blocks from the convention center where the All Star festivities took place.

So weird that areas so close had virtually no damage while so close by there was utter devastation. So sad about all the damage and fatalities. A very hard day in NC.

north Raleigh near 540, off of capital, no damage in our area but that had to have been the worst storm I have been in. You could hear the wind like a bee hive. Power was out for a little bit and some minor flooding but everyone here is good. We got some baby stuff that we were going to donate, wral article has some information on different options.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/9453792/

In NW Raleigh, my rain gauge collected 1 1/2" of rain in about 30 minutes. That translates to 3" per hour, well above the 2" per hour considered to be "Violent" rain rate. But thankfully, we had do damage. I'm still picking up pieces of insulation and shingles from the yard. My next door neighbor had a piece of 1/2" plywood, about 4x6 feet land in his yard. The nearest reported tornado was about eight miles SE of here, in downtown Raleigh.

The geography that works against us in hurricanes (NC's chin) worked for us this time, we just got some heavy rain for about a minute. There was a tornado up in Jacksonville close to where some extended family live but I think they came out OK. Glad to hear all here OK so far...would like to hear from Cane Addict, last I knew he lived down in Sanford.

RE: ericncsu/wxray...I might have to look into that Skywarn spotter training. I got a tech no-code license shortly after they created the category (3rd generation), but haven't touched the stuff in at least 15 years. Now that I think about it, my license should be up for renewal soon, close to 20 years. Yikes! :wheelchair: It seems sort of pointless these days, but times like this it might help. Am much more of a weather geek than a radio geek. :)

I drove back to my place again on Sunday evening. The traffic light worked and the power was back. I was so fortunate because I was between those 2 tornadoes. What a sad situation for the loss of loved ones and belonging.

A co-worker of my mother-in-law was on vacation and lives on Serendipity (sp?)Drive and came home to half of a house. Another friend of mine that lives in Apex has about 4 or 5 co-workers without a home now. I feel the need to do something......hmmmmmmmmmm......

One guy on another message board I visit lives in Fayetteville and lost his house - it basically came apart around him and his wife - roof came off and trees fell in their sun room and bedrooms. The house is a total loss. Fortunately he's got good insurance and he's military, so his command will help him out. They are so lucky to not have been hurt or killed. Very scary stuff.

When I was in college my parents' house got hit by a small tornado. It blew out the front windows and messed up the garage, but it wasn't all the way down on the ground when it passed so it wasn't as bad as it could have been. You could see the path the tornado took - there was a 10- or 15-foot swath where everything was flattened. The weirdest part was when it got to the county park next to the neighborhood - the trees in its path were all flat, the trees outside the path were completely untouched, almost as if someone had cut a trail.

How to donate to help the NC tornado and storm victims

Triangleredcross.org

NC Disaster Relief Fund

Wake County is providing a link for people who want to provide help and services.

Go to the wakegov.com website for information.

*Clothing, household items, diapers, wipes and baby formula can be taken to: 205 Tryon Road, Raleigh. Phone: 779-8867.

*Non-perishable foods, diapers, wipes and baby formula can be taken to: 215 S. Person Street, Raleigh. Phone: 834-6733.

*To assist with tree removal for the elderly or low-income families without the ability to pay for tree removal services, call the Wake County Human Services Office of Community Affairs at 212-7083.

*Salvation Army Family Stores in Raleigh (Wake County), Sanford (Lee County), Smithfield (Johnston and Harnett Counties) and Wilson (Wilson County) are being made available to those left homeless by the storms in these counties, in coordination of referrals from other responding organizations and agencies. The Salvation Army asks people who want to help those affected by the April 16 Tornados and Severe Weather to

donate online or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY.

*Monetary donations will be used to meet immediate needs of those impacted.

*North Carolina Community Foundation will take disaster-relief donations online through the NCCF website at nccommunityfoundation.org or by downloading a contribution form from the site and mailing or faxing it to NCCF offices. (The fax number is 919-828-5495. The form or checks can be mailed to NCCF at 4601 Six Forks Road, Suite 524, Raleigh, NC 27609).

*All funds will go directly to nonprofit organizations serving the needs of local victims in counties served by the NCCF

*Mechanics and Farmers Bank in Raleigh has set up a disaster relief fund for Shaw University. Tax deductible contributions may be sent to: Shaw University, Disaster Relief Fund, Mechanics and Farmers Bank, 13 E. Hargett Street, Raleigh, NC, 27601

*Inter-Faith Food Shuttle began delivering food Monday to non-profit agencies across the Triangle. IFFS staff members are using cell phones to assess the needs of the 212 partner agencies, rerouting trucks and sending food to soup kitchens, pantries and other emergency agencies so they can feed victims of the storm and members of the community experiencing food hardship. To make food donations, please call Don Eli (919)609-0939. To make monetary donations, please donate online www.foodshuttle.org.

*Chick-fil-A on Ramsey Street in Fayetteville is hosting a socks and underwear drive on Wednesday, April 20, from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.

*Every customer who donates new, packaged socks or underwear will receive a free Chick-fil-A chicken biscuit from 6 to 10:30 a.m., or an Original Chicken Sandwich from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m All the socks and underwear will be donated to the Fayetteville Urban Ministries to distribute the items to those in need. From 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., the restaurant will also hold a fundraiser for the American Red Cross. Every dollar donated at the restaurant will be matched by an anonymous local donor.

*Wake County Democratic Party has established a donation site at its headquarters at 220 Hillsborough Street in Raleigh. The Democrats are requesting checks for the American Red Cross or clothing for Goodwill Industries.

ABC News and Harris Teeter are teaming up to raise donations

To Contribute specifically to the Stoney Brook families that lost the 4 children:

http://www.dioceseof...contribute.aspx

Just saw this one.....I thought being in your car was the worst place to be during a tornado....this guy didn't get the memo....

http://www.digtriad.com/news/article/171966/57/VIDEO-NCDOT-Worker-Records-Tornado-Passing-Over-Truck

Really dude? :blink:

So he works for the DOT and was going out to change a bulb? Amazing...I thought that took at least 5 DOT employees.

Just saw this one.....I thought being in your car was the worst place to be during a tornado....this guy didn't get the memo....

http://www.digtriad....sing-Over-Truck

Really dude? :blink:

You are actually safer getting out of a vehicle and lying on the ground or in a ditch... I want to say these things are common sense but I guess these storms are so rare around here that it doesn't come up that often, or too late. He was lucky. I am making a trip into town tomorrow to drop of some donations, do what I can for our community, nice seeing so many organizations come together as well across a variety of sectors.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I'm in the older section of Cary, lots of old (TALL) trees behind where I'm at, so was pretty worried when I heard the radio warning about what was coming my way. No where to "hide" from something like this where I live, but fortunately it ended up being just some heavy rain, and hail in my area. As others have mentioned, it's amazing the path of destruction these tornadoes took. Areas as close as S. Saunders Street, Yonkers Road, and other areas of Raleigh were hit hard, other areas were thankfully spared.

It still amazes me that out of almost 100 people in this Lowes in Sanford that got hit pretty hard, everyone survived:

First_Look__Tornado_damage_from_the_air___04.17.11_Uj_GMJ7O_001.standalone.prod_affiliate.156.jpg

I read it was quick thinking and a disaster plan that saved the day there, they got everyone to the back of the building in a small room that was I believe like a storage area or office and was probably more sturdy then the rest of the building (as you can tell the back of the building is largely intact.

It still amazes me that out of almost 100 people in this Lowes in Sanford that got hit pretty hard, everyone survived:

Several of the RBC Center employees have spent the last few days helping with storm clean up in the hardest hit areas of downtown Raleigh.

An aerial view of damaged homes in Raleigh from WRAL

179413-AOW-600x450.jpg

Reminds me of the pictures that came out of Miami after Hurricane Andrew

A co-worker of my mother-in-law was on vacation and lives on Serendipity (sp?)Drive and came home to half of a house. Another friend of mine that lives in Apex has about 4 or 5 co-workers without a home now. I feel the need to do something......hmmmmmmmmmm......

It's a good thing they weren't home. Serendipity drive is very close to my mother-in-law's house (Mckinley Mills neighborhood) and they suffered some minor damage, siding missing, broken window etc, but houses just a few hundred yards away were totally demolished. Another house in the neighborhood that was wiped out was also thankfully unoccupied at the time. I haven't see the neighborhood in person, but to see the pictures on facebook and how my MIL and sis-in-law describe it is bone chilling.

Legend - There is a tornado warned storm moving through Stokes county right now north of Winston. I am getting thunder and very heavy rain, but so far nothing too severe. The storms right now are very scattered, it pours for 5 minutes and then moves on. The main line of storms is still several hours away.