The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes88

2007 ACC Tournament

This is my favorite time of the year! NCAA basketball and hockey conference playoffs, and the final regular season NHL games play themselves out. And spring training in the MLB...! sigh. All is right with the world :D

In my little world, #20 Notre Dame basketball beat Syracuse thursday afternoon (the Orangemen have won the Big East the past two years in a row), and will now play the Georgetown Hoyas friday night. ugh. BigEast playoffs are at MSG. Nice for the boys to get to play conference games in the Big Time.

#1 ND hockey has byes in the CCHA and will enter the quarterfinals friday. CCHA teams are so lucky - they are playing out their conference playoffs entirely in Detroit at Joe Louis. How cool that is for the guys to be able to play on NHL ice. Some will go on to minor league, maybe some major league, but you figure most of them have been playing hockey since childhood, and like kids everywhere, dreamed of playing pro. Being able to end their college careers playing on NHL ice is pretty danged "cool" in more ways than one. I love the youngsters to get chances like this - makes for wonderful memories.

What a day. Four games, all of them thrillers, two of them OT games (one of them 2OT), all lower seeds winning. And that's just day one. I love being in the ACC. There is simply no better conference.

Big 12! GO SOONERS! Kansas is going down!

Only have one comment from the Duke/State game:

Why did the announcers insist on repeatedly bringing up how "young" Duke is, as if that's an excuse for anything? Duke's rotation features 8 underclassmen, and seemingly 9th year junior Demarcus Nelson. Carolina's rotation runs 11 deep, but if you wanna look at the top nine compared to Duke's top nine, it's four freshmen, four sophomores, and a senior. I didn't count freshman Stepheson and senior Miller on account that their minutes were the least among the 11 guys in the rotation.

So what's the point of bringing this up on the telecast?

To be honest, I think it was to give some explanation as to why Duke was worse than people thought they would be this year. There's not a lot of experienced leadership on the team. I was watching it at the Carolina Ale House in Durham so I didn't hear a lot of what they were saying.

Evidently, I'm the only Demon Deacon in the house. How 'bout some love for 'everybody's second favorite team?" BIG win against GT, especially considering our pathetic free throw shooting.

Congrats to the 'Pack! Couldn't be happier for Coach Lowe. He's going to be a better find than even the NCSU administration hoped for.

And it's great to see State serve the Blue Devils another piece of humble pie. Don't get me wrong. I'm a fan of Coach K and what he's accomplished at Duke. Heck, before he got there, UNC was the perennial ACC basketball power and Duke was a law school. So, my apologies to the Duke fans that know how to conduct themselves in the spirit of competition, but some of your brethren exude a level of arrogance and egotism that needs to be checked. Some of them need to learn that pride and confidence aren't synonyms for mouthy and cocky.

And I can't leave out the Heels. They seem to be taking care of FSU right now. When those guys are on, they're a force. I'd love to see them and Florida battle for the National Championship. That would be on *^&%#@ of a game!

I'd love to see them and Florida battle for the National Championship. That would be on *^&%#@ of a game!

Forget Florida... they're overrated.

wscaniac wrote:

Evidently, I'm the only Demon Deacon in the house. How 'bout some love for 'everybody's second favorite team?" BIG win against GT, especially considering our pathetic free throw shooting.

I'll give 'em credit for that game but there's no way they'll shoot 69.6% from 3 again to win tonight. Apparently Wake has turned into GT's Kryptonite on the court and on the field, just can't seem to beat them.

As always, ACC games ROCK. This is a killer conference. My #14th ranked Irish lost in the end by two to #9 Georgetown Hoyas up at Madison Square Garden. sigh. 84-82. Ho-hum.... and the conference playoffs roll on.

Bracket-makin' time a-comin' up!!!!!

Chances are pretty good that we'll get a shot at Virginia Tech for the ACC title and possibly a top seed next week. What better way to get revenge on them for the season sweep?

Who would win that matchup, though, Rachel? Huh? :D

Things haven't been so great for state basketball in the past, but sidney lowe is the best thing that could have happened to them. They're taking it from UNC *knock on wood*