The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
TSA

RBC Center's Don MacMillian has passed away

Statement on Passing of Don MacMillian

Thursday, 05.12.2011 / 10:18 PM / News

By Terrell Williams

Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League's Carolina Hurricanes, tonight issued the following statement, following the death of RBC Center Superintendent Donnie MacMillian.

"It is a very sad day for our organization. A person that was a big part of the Hurricanes has passed on suddenly. Donnie will be missed by everyone whose life he touched, both personally and professionally."

Details about MacMillian's arrangements will be announced when they become available.

Mike Sundheim posted the link to the SI story profiling him back in 2002

http://sportsillustr...25218/index.htm

Donnie will be missed by all. I had the honor of riding with him a couple of times on the ice machine. He was a lot of fun to be around.

This is a sad day for the Hurricane Organization and fans! Donnie was a kind individual that met a couple of times and took his job very seriously. I remember being told that even Sidney Crosby said we had the best ice in the league.

Rest In Peace Donnie!!

He will be missed, that's for sure. It's so sad to lose such a great guy. Take pride in knowing he lifted the Cup with the rest of the Champions from 05-06. I'm sure he's showing 'the Big Guy' how to properly clean ice in Heaven right now.

sounds as if he was a great guy. At the very least, a banner must go to the rafters in his memory. Perhaps an RIP can be placed in the ice for next season.

Sad to hear. Surely our class organization will honor him somehow. Thoughts for the family.

Count on it ;)

Losing the "Iceman" and the "Boogeyman" in one week. Tough time for hockey fans. Both will be missed and rememebered fondly. I also expect a class organization like the Hurricanes will find a way to honor the Iceman.

Memorial Service for MacMillan to be Held May 24

RBC Center Building Superintendent passed away on May 12

Monday, 05.16.2011 / 11:41 AM / News

By Terrell Williams

RALEIGH, NC – Jim Rutherford, President and General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team will hold a memorial service for RBC Center Building Superintendent Donnie MacMillan on Tuesday, May 24, at 7 p.m.

MacMillan passed away on May 12 at the age of 52, and had been with the Hurricanes organization since 1993. The service will be held at the RBC Center and is open to the public. Guests should park in the VIP or West lots, and enter through the VIP Entrance on the South side of the arena.

MacMillan’s funeral will be held at 11 a.m. on Wednesday, May 18, at St. Paul’s Church in West Haven, CT.

Just a reminder for those interested, tonight is the memorial service for Donnie MacMillan at the RBC Center. Doors will open at 6pm and the service will begin at 7pm (should last about 30 minutes or so). Parking will be in VIP or the West lot, access will be through the VIP entrance.

I read on another board that Donnie Mac's memorial service was "really well done & a very impressive turnout." I haven't seen anything here other than the video that CanesVision did, nor anything in the local newspaper. Could someone who was at the service provide a report? I had planned to go, but an illness in the family prevented it.