The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
RonnieFranchise

Kevin Dineen

Yes or No  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have Kevin Dineen as the Hurricanes Head Coach?

• Yes
    • No

I believe Maurice did an admirable job however Dineen was a warrior for this franchise in the past. I would love to see Dineen reunited with Francis one more time. These guys were like magic when they played together and I would like to see them perform once again.

He's an interesting suggestion but I'm not so sure I'd want to pick my potential coach based on his past accomplishments as a player. Look no further than Wayne Gretsky for proof that just because a player was a leader and superstar on the ice doesn't mean that can translate into behind the bench leadership. I'm not even sure Ron Francis is best served behind the bench because so far the results aren't there yet. IMO, Kevin Dineen has done very well coaching on the minor league level but hasn't proved anything on the NHL level yet. Yes, he has some nice ties to this organization but that was only as a player and even then, it was in the very early days as a Whaler and before the Canes really established themselves here in NC.

Its been suggested by several others here but I too would be more interested in considering Jeff Daniels who not only has a more recent history with this organization as a player but has also plenty of experience with the Canes on the coaching level. He's been behind the bench for our organization's best moments (winning the Cup) and also led the River Rats through the worst moments (the Bus accident). If the Canes are truly in a rebuild and are slowly bringing up more and more of their young players, wouldn't it make sense to have the coach that's had success with and knows these young players the best take over (if its even decided to replace Maurice)?

OK, first - can we put a question mark after "New Coach" in the title? You got me all excited for nothing. :)

TSA: "Kevin Dineen has done very well coaching on the minor league level but hasn't proved anything on the NHL level yet."

You could have said the same about Bruce Boudreau, Dan Bylsma, and Guy Boucher (who admittedly is just getting started). Dineen has been a very good coach on the AHL level, it's only a matter of time before he's coaching in the NHL. Yes I think notice is taken in him because he used to play for the organization in the past - not that that's a bad thing (Quenneville, Tippett come to mind).

My only opposition to Daniels is that he has been tied to this organization for years. It's a little too much a "family affair" for my taste. Basically, he owes his career to JR. I'd prefer to see someone come in from outside who isn't afraid to do what he wants. It seemed to work pretty well the last (only) time they did it.

That said, I would expect if there is a change now it would be Daniels. Don't really see that happening, but the silence from JR's office since April 9 is interesting.

OK, first - can we put a question mark after "New Coach" in the title? You got me all excited for nothing. :)

fixed :)

TSA: "Kevin Dineen has done very well coaching on the minor league level but hasn't proved anything on the NHL level yet."

You could have said the same about Bruce Boudreau, Dan Bylsma, and Guy Boucher (who admittedly is just getting started). Dineen has been a very good coach on the AHL level, it's only a matter of time before he's coaching in the NHL. Yes I think notice is taken in him because he used to play for the organization in the past - not that that's a bad thing (Quenneville, Tippett come to mind).

My only opposition to Daniels is that he has been tied to this organization for years. It's a little too much a "family affair" for my taste. Basically, he owes his career to JR. I'd prefer to see someone come in from outside who isn't afraid to do what he wants. It seemed to work pretty well the last (only) time they did it.

That said, I would expect if there is a change now it would be Daniels. Don't really see that happening, but the silence from JR's office since April 9 is interesting.

Good points. Kevin Dineen could very well be one of the next big stories to come out of the AHL, he's certainly had plenty of successes to build on for when he makes the jump. Also a good point about Daniels being close to the organization and certainly something to consider. When Maurice was brought back I was disappointed not because it was Maurice but because I hoped Jr would have brought in someone completely new to the organization with fresh ideas and a whole new approach.

The thing I like about Daniels is that he's had a hand in developing many of these young kids. He knows how to handle them and obviously does a good job pushing the right buttons to help them succeed since so many have stepped into our NHL line up and contributed. There's no guarantee he'll find the same success at the NHL level but knowing the players so well has to help. I guess that could go both ways though and the familiarity could work against him too.

I have a feeling there will be a change but I'm just not sure when it will come. JR is scheduled to speak publicly on Tues so maybe we'll get a hint or two then.

I still believe Rowe is a good coach stuck under a bad coach's tenure. If he's got to follow Mo's game philosophy then whose to say the Defense is completely his fault. I'm not going to forget he's what got the Rats rolling before Daniels came in to keep it rolling.

Edited by legend-1

Don't ask me where my wife comes up with this stuff, but here's what she just sent me:

Canes rumors:

- Maurice is back for another year.

- Francis is moving to the front office as asst GM

- Replacement asst Coach could be Jeff Daniels or a former Defenseman

- Erik Cole will sign before July 1

- Brandon Sutter will be signed to a long-term contract

- Stillman re-signs for 1 year and then moves to the front office

- LaRose is re-signed

- Pitkanen and Jokinen still open

- Expect to see a new D-man, experienced backup goalie and a 4th line center

- Zac Dalpe may be on 2nd line with Skinner and Ruutu.

Don't ask me where my wife comes up with this stuff, but here's what she just sent me:

Canes rumors:

- Maurice is back for another year.

- Francis is moving to the front office as asst GM

- Replacement asst Coach could be Jeff Daniels or a former Defenseman

- Erik Cole will sign before July 1

- Brandon Sutter will be signed to a long-term contract

- Stillman re-signs for 1 year and then moves to the front office

- LaRose is re-signed

- Pitkanen and Jokinen still open

- Expect to see a new D-man, experienced backup goalie and a 4th line center

- Zac Dalpe may be on 2nd line with Skinner and Ruutu.

This was all in Chip Alexander's twitter feed. As much as I like Stillman I'm not sure resigning him is or would be a good move.

Edited by maniacaniac