The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Backup Goalie

OH!

Irbe is no longer the Goalie coach for the Caps. (Sorry, had to continue the recycle thang)

Well, we know who to go out and get now, time to come out of retirement Irbe. :P

OH!

Irbe is no longer the Goalie coach for the Caps. (Sorry, had to continue the recycle thang)

Has anything come out to why is no longer there?...Just curious!

Edited by Caniac5

From an article I saw in the Washington Post / Washington Times, his contracted ended in June and he decided not to return due to personal and family reasons.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/post/goaltending-coach-arturs-irbe-wont-return-to-capitals/2011/06/09/AGicJYNH_blog.html

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/jun/9/caps-goalie-coach-irbe-wont-be-back/

Edited by hopper915

I'm a fan of Hedburg for this job assuming JR can afford him, I like the way he plays and as an NC state student yelling "mooooose" for Mustafa Greene at football games would translate well to my love of the Canes.

But honestly, I just want a decent, solid veteran to come in and spell Cam every now and then, someone I can have some confidence in. I never had a lot of confidence watching games where J Peters was between the pipes...

Irbe wants to go home... and from what I understand from a Latvian friend of mine, it's about time.

I couldn't believe he came back after retirement. He was always very home sick it seemed during his career.

I think there will be a shakeup in the league as far as goaltenders are concerned coming into this season.

Leighton is done in Philly and probably Boucher. (I think Leighton could go to Jersey to be the one who could take over for Brodeur)

Holtby has looked good for the Caps in the AHL and could displace Neuvirth or Varlomov.

Thomas may not be back in Boston, even though he still have 2 years left on his contract.

AND After July 1st:

Emery(DUCKS) is a UFA.

Lalime(SABRES) is a UFA.

Turco(BLACKHAWKS) is a UFA.

BUDAI, GRAHAME, and ELLIOTT(AVALANCHE) are UFAs RFA respectfully.

Garon(BLUEJACKETS) is a UFA.

Osgood and MacDonald(REDWINGS) are UFAs

Vokoun(PANTHERS) is a UFA.

Theodore and Harding(WILD) are UFAs.

Auld(CANADIENS) is a UFA.

Hedberg(DEVILS) is a UFA.

LeClaire and McElhinney(SENATORS) are UFAs.

Boucher(FLYERS) is a UFA.

Conklin(BLUES) is a UFA.

Smith and Roloson(LIGHTNING) are UFAs.

Giguere(MAPLELEAFS) is a UFA.

Varlomov(CAPITALS) is a RFA.

OH!

There are some pretty good names on that list. One would think we could get one of them.

My short list would be

Osgood

Boucher

Hedberg

Osgood if he left Detroit would likely want to be a starter for decent (not expensive but decent money) but I think he's loyal enough to Det to come back as a backup to the Howard kid.

I'm not sure what to expect of Murphy, I'm not sure his gameplay will translate to the big show. His highlight reels were mostly of him putting himself in bad situations with no rebound control and then flopping to make an amazing save.

That doesn't tend to work in the NHL.

It works for Tim Thomas. I'm excited about Murph

It works for Tim Thomas. I'm excited about Murph

I think Murphy and Peters are either going to toil away in the AHL for the next ten years or will get a chance somewhere else. That is, provided Cam stays healthy. I wonder how many promising goalies went through the Devils' system in the past 15 years, while Brodeur owned the crease there?

Doubt it. Eventually Cam is going to hit a health slide, either from injury or just playing too often. Eventually he'll get a shot at the NHL, look at Peters. When he impressed, we thought we'd see him play 15 - 20 games that following season, but he completely sucked last year. Murphs will get a similar shot, and if he can prove himself and not fold under pressure (unlike Peters did), we could see him succeed. Or he'll go elsewhere, but if Carolina wants Cam to have a nice and long career, they'll eventually have to find a decent backup who can take over long stretches. We haven't had that in a while. (Legace)

This is all IF Murphy develops well and IF he has the ability. I think he could.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Doubt it. Eventually Cam is going to hit a health slide, either from injury or just playing too often. Eventually he'll get a shot at the NHL, look at Peters. When he impressed, we thought we'd see him play 15 - 20 games that following season, but he completely sucked last year. Murphs will get a similar shot, and if he can prove himself and not fold under pressure (unlike Peters did), we could see him succeed. Or he'll go elsewhere, but if Carolina wants Cam to have a nice and long career, they'll eventually have to find a decent backup who can take over long stretches. We haven't had that in a while. (Legace)

This is all IF Murphy develops well and IF he has the ability. I think he could.

I agree with the point about a backup, but I think that's why they're shopping for an experienced one. I think if we bring in someone in their mid-30s who is ready to take a backup role (or has already had a backup role), is willing to play for peanuts, can handle 15-20 games, etc. then that's great. I just think the team recognizes that Peters (and most likely Murphy) aren't those types of goalies. The young kids need the work on a more regular basis; they need to get the experience that the older goalies already have.

As JR alluded to, he's going to sign an experienced backup once free agency opens. I think that keeps Peters and Murphy in the AHL for at least the next 2 years. If Cam stays healthy, that's where they'll be. Let's not forget that Cam is mid-20s. I mean, he could conceivably play at a high level for the next 10 years (ala Brodeur) or even longer (ala Roloson). I'm sure we'd love him to. I just think that we'll recycle some young goalies in that timeframe through Charlotte, some of whom will never get a chance in Raleigh.

^^ I wrote a post that got lost last night saying the same thing. My top 4 would be Conklin, Boucher, Hedberg, and Garon. Conklin is probably highest in salary but definitely a solid backup. Not sure NJ is ready to give up Hedberg, but he may head out if Marty is expected to play 75 next year. Emery will start somewhere, folks forget he was the answer to Philly's problems before his hip problems, and looked quite good after his return last year. May see him in TB?

^^ I wrote a post that got lost last night saying the same thing. My top 4 would be Conklin, Boucher, Hedberg, and Garon. Conklin is probably highest in salary but definitely a solid backup. Not sure NJ is ready to give up Hedberg, but he may head out if Marty is expected to play 75 next year. Emery will start somewhere, folks forget he was the answer to Philly's problems before his hip problems, and looked quite good after his return last year. May see him in TB?

Hedberg is my #1 pick. Boucher and Garon are alright, and I don't really care much for Conklin. I want the Moose.

Conklin is jinxed at RBC. Although, the name change may take away the jinx.

Cam is calm. We need an anti-Cam, someone like Emery. Just kidding! (Actually, he'd be fun to watch, but I don't think he'd fit in the locker room, from what we've gathered from history.)

If Peters was rotated from the 'Canes to the Checkers with Murphy through the season, it would keep both of them sharp & give them both NHL experience they deserve. I also think Ward is over-played, and these two as back up both deserve a game or two when he's rested.

I am fairly happy with them picking Boucher. He has plenty of experience, something Peters really hasn't had. Plus Cam is very overplayed. As much as I like to see him in net, he needs some breaks.

I think Bouche(sp?) is a great add on to the team. He played pretty good for Philly!

I would agree!! will be a great addition and if it gets Cam a break with a few wins then all the better.

I am fairly happy with them picking Boucher. He has plenty of experience, something Peters really hasn't had. Plus Cam is very overplayed. As much as I like to see him in net, he needs some breaks.

I would love to see Boucher play 15-20 games next year instead of Peters 8. We've all seen Cam play 6 or 7 great games in a row and then that 8th game in a row he lets in 6 goals and gets yanked, when he should have been sat in the first place. I hope with more confidence in the back up they can work out a good rotation, Cam plays 3-4, Bouch 1, etc especially with our back to backs. We dont have as many as last year but we have a lot still and Winnapeg will be some long road trips. Cam will need breaks.

I like this pick up and this is exactly what JR was looking for in a "veteran back-up"